IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 AM
All-Pro

Default [Split Thread] What to Do About Posey?

What to do with Posey ? 2 preseason games under the belt and not a single pass reception yet ?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Pro Bowler

I know it's still early, but both Jean and Martin appear to be a huge upgrade over JJ. Jean is silky smooth and catches everything thrown to him, and Martin so far has shown good hands and you just have this sense he's gonna bust one soon. If those two guys (and AJ) stay healthy, I think Walter's playing time goes down considerably. As for Posey, right now he appears to be a wasted pick and no way should take up a regular season roster spot. I don't even think they have to worry about the IR scam. I think they could easily dump him to the PS without fear of anyone picking him up.

As of right now, I think it's Keenum, Grimes and Posey to the PS with others to follow... Grimes might actually make the full-time roster, but I think they'll lean towards keeping Forsett up just because of his experience.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
I know it's still early, but both Jean and Martin appear to be a huge upgrade over JJ. Jean is silky smooth and catches everything thrown to him, and Martin so far has shown good hands and you just have this sense he's gonna bust one soon. If those two guys (and AJ) stay healthy, I think Walter's playing time goes down considerably. As for Posey, right now he appears to be a wasted pick and no way should take up a regular season roster spot. I don't even think they have to worry about the IR scam. I think they could easily dump him to the PS without fear of anyone picking him up.

As of right now, I think it's Keenum, Grimes and Posey to the PS with others to follow... Grimes might actually make the full-time roster, but I think they'll lean towards keeping Forsett up just because of his experience.
While I agree with you on Posey to the PS, I think ego's will get in the way. Could be wrong, but that's my gut feel.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM
All-Pro

Posey is not going to the practice squad. And he'd be picked up if he did. Not getting preseason playing time will not equal 31 other teams ignoring a 3rd round pick. Or our GM saying he blew a 3rd rounder before the guy ever plays.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
While I agree with you on Posey to the PS, I think ego's will get in the way. Could be wrong, but that's my gut feel.
they won't ps posey. someone else would pick him up. he has been away from football for a while with his suspension last year, so i don't think they ever expected him to contribute this year anyway.

also don't think they IR him, if they did that he wouldn't be allowed to practice, which would make him 2 years removed from regular football next year.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
All-Pro

During Saturday's game, I was at my favorite bar having a discussion with a regular who was wearing his Ohio State jersey. I mentioned to him that Martin had impressed far more than Posey (from OSU) despite being a lower-round choice and he said "Doesn't surprise me. The guy has been a spoiled jerk the whole time he was in Columbus."

It could be that a) the time missed in college means Posey is too raw for the NFL and is going to need coaching up or b) he's really just a spoiled jerk and won't amount to anything until he decides to work for it. If the truth is b) then I'm fine with trying to put him on the PS and see if anyone else claims him. If the truth is a) then he needs to show why his potential is more important than keeping some other receiver who has busted his tail and deserves the playing time.

This franchise has cut third-rounders before (remember 2002?) so it wouldn't be a first. If Martin is a keeper, I can live with the fact that Posey is not.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Posey is not going to the practice squad. And he'd be picked up if he did. Not getting preseason playing time will not equal 31 other teams ignoring a 3rd round pick. Or our GM saying he blew a 3rd rounder before the guy ever plays.
Right. McNair would not be pleased if Rick Smith threw up his hands in despair and basically admitted he screwed-up. Certainly not this soon.
And we've also gotta have some questions about the other 3rd round pick, because Brooks was very disappointing Saturday. And how often do the Texans
go as high as a 3rd round pick for an interior OLineman ? It would seem they'd use a 3rd round pick on somebody who was more of a ZB type with more
impressive competition that what they see at Miami of Ohio ?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

I know everyone wants to read the tea leaves, but isn't it just too early with basically no samples
To know for sure what is going on.

All we saw is two bad throws by Keenum in Poseys direction.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
This franchise has cut third-rounders before (remember 2002?) so it wouldn't be a first.
They've cut third rounders, but not during their rookie years. They gave even Charles Hill one season.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Right. McNair would not be pleased if Rick Smith threw up his hands in despair and basically admitted he screwed-up. Certainly not this soon.
And we've also gotta have some questions about the other 3rd round pick, because Brooks was very disappointing Saturday. And how often do the Texans
go as high as a 3rd round pick for an interior OLineman ? It would seem they'd use a 3rd round pick on somebody who was more of a ZB type with more
impressive competition that what they see at Miami of Ohio ?
Antoine Caldwell was a third rounder in 2009. As far as the competition that Brooks faced in college, the MAC isn't the SEC but it is a Division I-A (or FBS or whatever they call it now) conference and its members are attractive nonconference opponents for teams from the major conferences. Out of curiousity, I checked Miami of Ohio's schedule for the last four years and they played Florida, Boise State, Michigan, Missouri (twice), Cincinnati (four times), Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. He didn't go against future NFL players every week, but I'm sure he saw some.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Antoine Caldwell was a third rounder in 2009. As far as the competition that Brooks faced in college, the MAC isn't the SEC but it is a Division I-A (or FBS or whatever they call it now) conference and its members are attractive nonconference opponents for teams from the major conferences. Out of curiousity, I checked Miami of Ohio's schedule for the last four years and they played Florida, Boise State, Michigan, Missouri (twice), Cincinnati (four times), Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. He didn't go against future NFL players every week, but I'm sure he saw some.
But Caldwell was a multi-year starter at 'Bama where he saw better competition in the SEC every year than what you just clecked off with those schedule high-lights for Miami @ Ohio over a 4-year stretch. Actually Caldwell faced better competition in practice every day in Tuscaloosa than Brooks ever saw in his entire college career.
Now try to name another interior OLineman the Texans drafted higher than the 4th round besides Caldwell ? Then there's the fat-boy issue ?
I think 4th rounder Ben Jones is gonna give the Texans more help than Brooks will, certainly early on and they need help right now in the interior of the OLine.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Right. McNair would not be pleased if Rick Smith threw up his hands in despair and basically admitted he screwed-up.
Didn't Smith and Kubiak just get new contracts? I highly doubt this would bother McNair so much that he'd fire or discipline either one of them. McNair seems like a logical guy and I'm sure he understands sometimes you hit on a pick and sometimes you don't. He was here for Carr, afterall. If McNair wants to piss and moan about putting a disappointing 3rd rounder on the PS and exposing him to waivers, I think Smith would have a good argument bringing up guys he's hit on such as Foster, Jean, Dobbins, Martin, Yates, etc. That should ease McNair's mind and concerns.

As for actually putting Posey on the PS, there's what 'should' happen and what 'will' happen. I agree that egos will get in the way he likely 'will' get a roster spot. However, he doesn't deserve one and 'should' be put on the PS or sent to *cough* IR. I hope he turns it around, but I certainly wouldn't bet my lunch on it based on what we've seen and read at this point.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
All-Pro

You guys are playing chicken little here.

You've made judgments on two players before we reach game 1. Brooks has been constantly praised by the coaches and they already consider him a threat to take caldwell's job. So clearly caldwell's Tuscaloosa practices didnt do much for him. I'm much more concerned about Caldwell than brooks.

As for posey, he is a year out of football and you don't draft a guy like that if you can't be patient. As for why you don't cut a 3rd rounder, it's not about what McNair thinks or how long is left on your contract. The reason you don't cut a 3rd rounder before game 1 is because it's stupid.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You guys are playing chicken little here.
It's a message board during preseason, what are we supposed to do?

Yes, Brooks has been praised some, but Kubiak has also given constant reminders on how young he is, and how many mistakes he's making.

I agree, it would be tough for a 3rd rounder to get cut, and putting on the PS is just that, more or less. Not impossible, but tough. That's why I think they would go the IR route, IF he doesn't get a roster spot. I would guess that Kubiak would rather have a vet at the WR5 spot. Only downside to IR, and its a big one, is he can't practice with the team. That would be almost 2 yrs. without game scenarios..... That's a pickle.

Not saying that's what I would do, but that's what I think will happen. Will know for sure in two weeks.

Last edited by WMH; 08-21-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
All-Pro

Hey, that's an idea. Let's put Posey on the IR for a sprained tat.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
But Caldwell was a multi-year starter at 'Bama where he saw better competition in the SEC every year than what you just clecked off with those schedule high-lights for Miami @ Ohio over a 4-year stretch. Actually Caldwell faced better competition in practice every day in Tuscaloosa than Brooks ever saw in his entire college career.
Now try to name another interior OLineman the Texans drafted higher than the 4th round besides Caldwell ? Then there's the fat-boy issue ?
I think 4th rounder Ben Jones is gonna give the Texans more help than Brooks will, certainly early on and they need help right now in the interior of the OLine.
There’s no question that Caldwell faced better competition at Alabama than Brooks did at Miami (OH). But guards from Fresno State (Logan Mankins), North Texas (Brian Waters), and Bloomsburg (Jahri Evans) went to the Pro Bowl last year, so it’s not like playing in a BCS conference is an absolute prerequisite to NFL success at the position.

I was as surprised as anybody by the Brooks pick due to his apparent lack of fit for the scheme, but the Texans made it very clear after the draft that they thought he was agile enough to do what they ask their OL to do. He’s definitely got work to do (like most rookies), but we shall see. As far as Jones, I hope that he doesn’t have a big impact early on because that would mean that Myers is out.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You've made judgments on two players before we reach game 1..
Maybe I'm missing something here... Isn't OTA's, Training Camp, practices and preseason there to make player assesments and to define the final roster? Not saying they can make a full assesment by then or he can't develop, but what I am syaing is that if he's not one the best 53 players (or 5~6 best WRs), then he doesn't deserve a full-time roster spot and he should go to the PS.

Quote:
As for posey, he is a year out of football and you don't draft a guy like that if you can't be patient. As for why you don't cut a 3rd rounder, it's not about what McNair thinks or how long is left on your contract. The reason you don't cut a 3rd rounder before game 1 is because it's stupid.
It's stupid to cut someone who can help the team and keep a someone who might never help your team. Your opinion is to keep him, but mine is he doesn't deserve a full-time roster spot right now. And yes, if it was my decision I'd expose him to waivers and IR or PS him. However, it's not my decision so I'm good with whatever they decide. Hopefully he gets better - and soon.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM
All-Pro

Last year Texans kept 3/4 TE, 1/2 FB, 4 RB, 3 QB, that 4th TE and 4th RB sure didn't play much. So some flexibility. Posey has gotten plenty good reviews by coaches and teammates , just way 2 practice games went there wasn't much chance to show anything. Cutting to 53 will be tough, so we will see in about two weeks.

Last edited by Nconroe; 08-21-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Hey, that's an idea. Let's put Posey on the IR for a sprained tat.
Nope, not sprained tat, a "mysterious" calf injury......

Gary Kubiak says WR DeVier Posey did not practice today. He has a minor calf injury. -- Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here... Isn't OTA's, Training Camp, practices and preseason there to make player assesments and to define the final roster? Not saying they can make a full assesment by then or he can't develop, but what I am syaing is that if he's not one the best 53 players (or 5~6 best WRs), then he doesn't deserve a full-time roster spot and he should go to the PS.

It's stupid to cut someone who can help the team and keep a someone who might never help your team. Your opinion is to keep him, but mine is he doesn't deserve a full-time roster spot right now. And yes, if it was my decision I'd expose him to waivers and IR or PS him. However, it's not my decision so I'm good with whatever they decide. Hopefully he gets better - and soon.
Did you watch OTA's, training camp, practices and preseason? Or did you catch two preseason games on TV and maybe a public practice here or there?

I am willing to bet that the guys who watched all those things don't cut him.

It would be the height of stupidity for our front office and coaches to draft a project in the 3rd round and then cut him before week 1 because he's a project.