IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm really amazed that BOB likes him. I don't doubt the information, it just surprises me because Watson and Mahomes, the other quarterback BOB is supposed to be in love with, could not be farther from what I understand BOB's ideal quarterback to be.

Maybe I misunderstand BOB then. If a quarterback is accurate and intelligent maybe he doesn't care if a guy is less like Tom Brady and more like Fran Tarkenton or Steve McNair.

But if so, then why is he hand-picking guys like Fitz, Hoyer, Mallett and Savage?
Fitz is actually pretty mobile and definitely a risk taker. And he's not particularly accurate.

Hoyer is the only guy on your list that could be described as smart and accurate, and he's the homeless man's version of smart and accurate.

I don't think anything O'Brien has done at QB for the Texans gives any indicator of what he likes. I think he has kicked QB down the road for his whole career here and gone with whatever was easily available (or what his GM gave him last year). I think his disregard of the QB position gives more reason to question his QB cred than any performance from the journeymen he's started.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
So when did Ian become a member of our board?

On a serious note, I strongly believe we need a somewhat mobile QB with this O-line, otherwise there's a good chance he'll be on the bench after a few games. And Watson is easily the most battle tested and accomplished QB of this draft. I also don't think BOB, as others have mentioned, is the QB guru some have made him out to be, or even the best game planner, but he's not bad either.

So because of that, I think him very likely wanting the QB with the most big game/championship experience is smart on his part. I thought our defense gave New England a good run for their money last year. And now with the possibility of Watson at the helm, and given his championship experience, I don't think the stage would be too big for him compared to all our other current options, FA or in the draft.

That being said, part of me thinks Mahhomes has more upside, but if BOB is in win now mode, Watson is the obvious smart selection here. Too many coaches have been fired over potential in QB's.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Regular Starter

Some pretty good scouting reports on the QBs for my fellow codgers:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...cks/100736988/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...zer/100817778/
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Regular Starter

The latest is they don't think Watson will last to the point where they are willing/able to trade up to.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
The latest is they don't think Watson will last to the point where they are willing/able to trade up to.
That's weird because I think it's Mahomes that will be gone (along with Trubisky) and that Watson may very well stick around for a while.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Sometimes I like to sit back and think...

I think this is a rather unpredictable first round.

I think that unpredictability will result in trades where teams will move up to get their guy.

I think the QBs will generally go higher than expected.

I think if the Texans love a guy, they ought to be talking again to the Browns, this time to move up to #12.

I think the Browns are bad at making football decisions, worse than the Texans.

I think if Rick Smith believes he can just sit at 25 and pick a QB, he's going to find a team move up to 24 and take his man.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think if the Texans love a guy, they ought to be talking again to the Browns, this time to move up to #12.
That would require the Texans taking Brock back so no thanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Sometimes I like to sit back and think...

I think this is a rather unpredictable first round.

I think that unpredictability will result in trades where teams will move up to get their guy.

I think the QBs will generally go higher than expected.

I think the Browns are bad at making football decisions, worse than the Texans.

I think if Rick Smith believes he can just sit at 25 and pick a QB, he's going to find a team move up to 24 and take his man.
Good thinkin'!

But wouldn't it be just like the Texans to take neither QB nor Tackle with their first pick?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That's weird because I think it's Mahomes that will be gone (along with Trubisky) and that Watson may very well stick around for a while.
Right that's what I'm seeing in these mocks (not that any of them are necessarily reliable), which is of the big 3 they are drafted in this order: Truisby, MaHomes, and then Watson. Arizona is drafting at #13 and supposedly their HC continues to have a strong interest in drafting MaHomes to develop as the successor to Carson Palmer.
And this Davis Webb looks to be the real dark horse in the QB group but he still figures to be the fourth QB drafted.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
But wouldn't it be just like the Texans to take neither QB nor Tackle with their first pick?
I see that as a distinct possibility if
(1) the QB they really cherish is off of their Board,
and (2) and it's such an extremely weak OT class many say there really are not any legit 1st round tackles in this years Draft,
and (3) but it' such a strong draft for defensive backs and with Bouye leaving that's now a bigger priority to us.