IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 09-14-2022, 07:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Official Texans at Broncos Game Thread, 9/18/2022

Keepin' it brief because I'm on cell phone. On computer, I can be more thorough.

Broncos favored by 10 or 11.

Late game, 3:25 pm CST on CBS. Andrew Catalon and James Lofton are the announcers.

Think I'll be at this game if Vividseats ever sends my ticket........
Old 09-15-2022, 09:40 AM
Administrator

I will be on the road and might miss most of this one live. Consensus seems to be that the Broncos will be playing this one focused and mad coming off their loss Monday night. I think I'd pick the Broncos to win it, but I'd take the points here ATS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

TV = CBS (channel 11 local), 3:25pm CDT, Sunday, 9/18/2022

Announcers = Andrew Catalon, James Lofton

The line = Broncos by 9½ to 11

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Sunday viewing in the Houston area:

CBS (early) = New England @ Pittsburgh, Ian Eagle, Charles Davis

FOX (early) = Tampa Bay @ New Orleans, Kevin Burkhardt, Greg Olsen

Rare week where the Cowboys will not be on locally.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prime time:

Thursday Night: LA Chargers @ Kansas City (Amazon, NFLN)

Sunday Night: Chicago @ Green Bay (NBC)

Monday Night: Tennessee @ Buffalo (6:15 CT, ESPN; Steve Levy, Louis Riddick, Dan Orlovsky)

Monday Night: Minnesota @ Philadelphia (7:30 CT, ABC; Joe Buck, Troy Aikman)
Old 09-15-2022, 10:25 PM
Hall of Fame

Thanks, Keith!

-------------------------------------
Bart Scott, now an ESPN talking head picked the Texans to upset the Broncos. Eheh. Okay....

I agree the Broncos will probably be more focused. Denver at home - always tough.....

Last edited by Arky; 09-25-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Jags leading Colts 17-0 starting the 2nd half.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Final score was 16-9 (as everyone knows by now).

I was at the game and surrounded by a sea of orange. My standard MO at pro sporting events is to buy a cheap seat/nosebleed ticket and then go be a rail bird at a lower level. Broncos stadium makes it tough to do that. Hardly any viewing areas/SRO spots in that stadium. I did find one spot.....

Davis Mills had a blah game. 19/38, 177 yards. I hear chatter that he's more of a home QB than a road QB.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Cont.

He's got a chance to silence the critics this weekend on the road in Chicago.

Denver was unimpressive but the Texans couldn't take advantage of the 13 penalties and the lone Denver turnover. The Texans to their credit, did not have a turnover.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Watching Pierce in person, he does not like to go down. Kinda of easy to root for someone giving so much effort.

Saw a few Texan fans there and fist bumped with a few. I was wearing a Texan shirt and very much felt like the Lone Ranger at times. Denver fans were mostly civil and getting a buzz on. The smell of wacky tobacky was in the air. The entire city of Las Vegas smells that way, now. Dispensarys everywhere.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Cont.

Will post more when I am back at home.

Bears a 2 1/2 point favorite this Sunday.

Can the Texans get a W this Sunday?
Old 09-21-2022, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Mills is underwhelming. Doesn't quite have the same look as the QB down the stretch last season. I suppose it's a season-long audition for him since there isn't a great alternative and the team probably has a who cares? vibe on this season's record anyway, but Mills has the look of a career backup so far.

The team lacks a lot of elite offensive weapons, but Mills has enough to work with to be a better performer than what he has shown through two games. That was a winnable game in Denver. Heck, I guess this is two games in a row where the Texans have lost a game with a fourth quarter lead.

The defense has improved though. Pitre is easy to like. Something there with Stingley that makes his development promising.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:00 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Mills is underwhelming. Doesn't quite have the same look as the QB down the stretch last season. I suppose it's a season-long audition for him since there isn't a great alternative and the team probably has a who cares? vibe on this season's record anyway, but Mills has the look of a career backup so far.

The team lacks a lot of elite offensive weapons, but Mills has enough to work with to be a better performer than what he has shown through two games. That was a winnable game in Denver. Heck, I guess this is two games in a row where the Texans have lost a game with a fourth quarter lead.

The defense has improved though. Pitre is easy to like. Something there with Stingley that makes his development promising.
Eh, give him some time, I think. He still has less than a full season of starter experience. In time, he will either sink or swim....

---------------------------------------------

Denver fans attracted national attention for something they started doing in the 3rd quarter. After a delay of game penalty or two, they started counting down the play clock when Denver had the ball. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, etc. You could hear it all over the stadium - sorta sarcastically helping the team out. I heard some TV talking heads declare them as "football-smart fans". OK. I did feel a tinge of jealousy when I saw the 3 Super Bowl victory pennants hanging on the wall ('97, '98 and 2015).

Also, when the Broncos score, there are popping fireworks and flames that shoot out of the top of the big screen right where the big white Bronco statue is. The radiant heat from those flames can be felt by everyone sitting in the end zone seats below...

Last edited by Arky; 09-22-2022 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:43 PM
Hall of Fame

SEAN PENDERGAST

NFL Week 2: Broncos 16, Texans 9 — Four Winners, Four Losers

Quote:
I have no idea how this 2022 season is going to eventually unfold for the Houston Texans. We are two weeks in, and they sit at 0-1-1, after Sunday's 16-9 loss in Denver to the Broncos. It was a hard fought loss, one in which the Texans covered the 10 point spread, but ultimately, like last week against the Colts, it was about the opportunity that was squandered.

Chances are the Texans will finish among the bottom heap of teams in the NFL in 2022, especially if the version of Davis Mills we've seen thus far this season is what we get this entire year. However, if they're hanging around anywhere close to the wild card race in December, they will look back at these first two games and see two opponents who did EVERYTHING (and then some) that they could to hand the Texans a victory.

As it was, Sunday ended in defeat for the Texans. There were winners and losers in Denver, and around the league in Week 2. Let's take a look!
tl;dr version:

Winners:

4. Dameon Pierce
3. Next Gen Stats and Kyler Murray
2. The defense as a whole
1. The other little sisters of the poor

Losers:

4. Nathaniel Hackett
3. The wallets of several Bucs and Saints
2. Derek Stingley, Jr.
1. Davis Mills

More at link.
-------------------------------------------------

I might add, the fanbase of the Indianapolis Colts must be in total meltdown mode after their 0-1-1 start....