IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
This is encouraging. Thanks for sharing. Very happy the team is back from the Greenbriar.

The development of the young TEs is something I am very interested in following.

I have a hard time reconciling that head coaches allow their star players to compete in these joint practices where tickets are usually free, yet paying fans don't get that in the preseason games. Some two-handed touch vs. tackling sure, but I've also seen some hitting in these joint workouts, too.

Sorry for the off topic rant, but when 20% of your season ticket prices goes to that fake game garbage, I feel justified complaining.
The preseason is a racket beyond all doubt. Saw an article the other day they may go to 7 playoff teams and the 2 extra WC round games will be enough to make up for the revenue of cutting the preseason in half. So if that happens you'll be paying for one less worthless ticket.

But I get the draw for a coach to the practices. Coaches have far more control and every NFL coach is a control freak. They can take away the randomness of preseason games with crazy intense fringe guys gunning for jobs and replace it with controlled reps where their QBs where red jerseys. They can also sit behind the huddle and yell at guys. Matt Patricia was in a walking boot so he was using a 4 wheeler as his scooter with one leg on the 4 wheeler and one down. He drove right out to the 20 while his team operated from the 30. On Saturday he'll sit on the sideline while his guys get hurt at a rate about 500% higher than they did today for the same amount of reps.

Maybe they'll just start holding preseason practices on the game field and selling tickets. It's not like the NFL misses many opportunities to monetize the sport.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 AM
All-Pro

Hey Barrett hopefully you got a look-see at the OLine group and if so what are your thoughts about them and top Draft pick Tytus Howard in particular ?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:09 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Hey Barrett hopefully you got a look-see at the OLine group and if so what are your thoughts about them and top Draft pick Tytus Howard in particular ?
I didn't see them at all in their individual drills. They were on one of the back fields.

In the team drill Watson had time on all but one play where he got hit pretty hard even though he wasn't taken to the ground. It happened so quickly after the snap I assume it was a missed assignment but without replay I'm not sure. In the running plays during the team portion Miller got the corner once so that was nice.

Honestly I can't say I saw a ton of the OL.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Training Camp Day 17: Notes and Quotes - Deepi Sidhu

Quote:
The Texans put on the full pads and practiced indoors at the Houston Methodist Training Center on Tuesday.

Running back Duke Johnson practiced for the first time since the Texans traded for him on August 8.

“It's great to have him out here,” head coach Bill O’Brien said. “He's a good addition to the team, good in the passing game, good runner, had some good plays today. Good to have him out there."

When asked, O’Brien said he did not know yet whether Johnson will play in Saturday’s preseason game at Dallas.

Johnson already knows several of his teammates well, including fellow Miami Hurricanes Lamar Miller and Andre Johnson as well as tight end Darren Fells. Johnson and Fells were teammates last year in Cleveland.

Cornerback Derrick Jones, wearing No. 35, also made his practice debut after signing with the Texans on Monday. The third-year player spend the last two seasons with the New York Jets where he also contributed on special teams.

The Texans began game planning on Tuesday with players getting reps against the scout team. The third week of the preseason is when the mode of practice begins to look more like a regular season practice, O’Brien said Monday.

Buddy Howell, who saw action in 15 games in 2018, said he is not thinking about the impending roster cuts and is just grateful to be in Houston.

“At the end of the day, I can’t control it," Howell said. "I can only control what I can control and what I do on the field.”

The second-year back led the team in Saturday’s preseason win over the Lions, rushing for 84 yards and a touchdown, averaging 5.6 yards per carry.
More at link.

Was most impressed with RB Howell's performance on Saturday and wondering why we haven't seen more of him in real games.....

In the where-are-they-now department, Alfred Blue is with the Jags and has a shot as the back up RB but is nursing a sore ankle....
Old 08-21-2019, 03:23 PM
All-Pro

I miss the old cutdown dates. Made for some artificial drama and speculation.