IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
We can't have a Texans pick without ESPN going to commercial...
I'm watching the NFL Network and they did it too. Mfers.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator

WR Hopkins
Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Regular Starter

That's Rick Smith's brother at the table btw.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 PM
All-Pro

They're teaching Goodell how to pronounce Monti Te'o...
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM
All-Pro

Deandre Hopkins, WR, Clemson.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM
All-Pro

Now the question is whether Smith will draft a second WR tomorrow.
All-Pro

Welp, I hope he brings it. And I hope Schaub figures out it's permissible to throw to him.
Administrator

You'd think Southeast Dale Strahm was still making picks with a Clemson player.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
All-Pro

No Cordarrelle, no Hunter, no Rogers, no Swope, no Woods, but they go Hopkins. Eh..at least he was on my draft board.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Now the question is whether Smith will draft a second WR tomorrow.
That would surprise me. Too many other needs and they took two last year. If so that wouldn't indicate a strong prognosis for Posey's recovery.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
That would surprise me. Too many other needs and they took two last year. If so that wouldn't indicate a strong prognosis for Posey's recovery.
Kubiak is on record saying Posey was a middle of the year guy.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM
All-Pro

Why in the hell did we not trade with the Vikings?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Drafted Rookie

Okay...at least they got a receiver but I'm just not sure about this guy.
Kinda underwhelmed...figured with all the Wr on the board we could swing a trade, but it takes two

I was underwhelmed by JJ too, so hopefully this will turn out like that
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 PM
All-Pro

I like it. Give Schaub some reliable threats and playmakers was a big need.

Walter's football had him as third best WR in draft after Austin and Pattersonm, right ahead of Hunter and Allen.

DeAndre Hopkins*, WR, Clemson
Height: 6-1. Weight: 214. Arm: 33.38. Hand: 10.08.
40 Time: 4.57.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.
4/23/13: A strong Combine and pro day have Hopkins as a potential top-25 pick. Scouts have told WalterFootball.com that he could be the third receiver off the board and there are a few playoff teams at the back of the first round that are high on him.

Hopkins started the 2012 season on fire. He became the No. 1 receiver for Clemson as Sammy Watkins started the year suspended and was slow to return to his freshman form. Hopkins picked up the slack and became the top weapon for Tajh Boyd. Hopkins had consistent production all season and torched LSU to end the year with 13 receptions for 191 yards and two scores. He made huge plays to help lead Clemson to a comeback victory.

Hopkins totaled 1,405 yards on 82 catches and 18 touchdowns in 2012. He burned defenses with his deep speed while showing reliable hands and good route running.

8/27/12: Hopkins is not as talented as Sammy Watkins, but Hopkins is a dangerous receiver in his own right. He was secondary receiver in 2011, but still caught 72 passes for 978 yards and five touchdowns. As a freshman in 2010 he hauled in 52 passes for 637 yards with four scores.

Hopkins should produce well over the next two years with Watkins drawing constant double teams. Overall, Hopkins has a nice skill set with speed, hands and route-running.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM
All-Pro

Even picking at 27, except for Austin they had their pick of all WRs who came out this year so obviously they got the WR they wanted.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Guessing they did not want to drop all the way to 52, but adding a 3 & 4 woulda been nice
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That's what I'm wondering...a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 7th would have been sweet
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Veteran Depth

Meh.. Hopefully it works out. Looks like a Kubiak wr to me
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 PM
All-Pro

Just looking up more on our new WR, pretty positive.

SB Nation had him as their top WR on their board -

The Texans selected DeAndre Hopkins with the No. 27 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.
___ selected Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins. Hopkins checks in at No. 21 on SB Nation's top 200 big board and is the top-ranked wide receiver.
Hopkins left school early after an outstanding junior season at Clemson that ended in a win over LSU at the Chick-fil-A Bowl. He caught 82 passes for just over 1,400 yards and 18 touchdowns in 2012, emerging as Tajh Boyd's go-to target with Sammy Watkins having injury issues and off-the-field problems. Throughout his final season with the Tigers, Hopkins proved to be a reliable route runner, and showed off outstanding body control, making the tough catches look easy.
The Texans need help at wide receiver as Andre Johnson isn't getting any younger and DeVier Posey was injured at the end of the season and will likely start the season on the sidelines. Hopkins is a talented wide receiver that can play opposite of Johnson and give Matt Schaub another reliable target downfield.
Hopkins is a good fit here and should be on the field in Week 1 catching passes from Schaub.
In SB Nation's scouting report on Hopkins, there are plenty of positives to take away from his game.
Hopkins consistently gets open because of the precise routes he runs. He's crisp in his motions and sets up his routes well with head fakes and other subtle movements to get open on the outside. While he doesn't have the jaw-dropping speed of some others in this class, his 4.41 time in the 40-yard dash fits how he plays on the field, as he's quick to get down the field and make plays.
When the ball is in the air, Hopkins' focus is top notch. He is in complete control of his body when attacking the football, and he high-points passes with regularity, so his ability to catch in traffic should translate to the next level. Hopkins' hands are among the best in the draft, and he's tough enough and physical enough to handle contact over the middle while maintaining his focus to bring in passes.
His body control will help him at all levels of the defense. While he is able to control himself along the sidelines and make tough catches, he also knows how to elude defenders in the open field after the catch and has the quick feet to do so. Vertical jump: 36 inches

Hopkins had three solid seasons at Clemson, improving his statistical output each year before emerging as a star in 2012. He caught at least 50 passes in every season at Clemson, while snagging nine touchdowns in his freshman and sophomore seasons combined.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 PM
All-Pro

I would have gone with the speed guy, Patterson, over Hopkins, but I have been wrong before and Rick haas been right. So I'll wait until August to see the what he can do.