IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Coach Joseph on his CB's & safeties

Coach Joseph has been watching a lot of film on his secondary. Maybe there is some hope for our downtrodden secondary yet. Kareem Jackson is better in zone than man-to-man (which is not earthshaking news), but Joseph says he can be taught. The link to this expired, so I couldn't show it.

Last edited by NBT; 05-27-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Coach Joseph has been watching a lot of film on his secondary. Maybe there is some hope for our downtrodden secondary yet. Kareem Jackson is better in zone than man-to-man (which is not earthshaking news), but Joseph says he can be taught. The link to this expired, so I couldn't show it.
But can he teach Kareem how to run faster ?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
And, can he teach him to not fall down all the freaking time......
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Did Derel Revis come into the league being the fastest - - - emphatic NO! Is he now one of the best CB's in the league? Of course. Could it be his coaching?? Quite possibly sol Jackson won't be another Revis probably, but he can be taught to better use the speed he has.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Falling down was more a lack of good coaching than his being a stumblebum. Better footwork can certainly be taught. So hell yes, he can BE taught. And more help over the top by the safety will help too. He sure didn't get much last year. As will a year of experience, brutally gained.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran Depth

I'm curious to see to what extent Kareem develops - and not just the morbid curiosity of a fan who knows his team's playoff chances will live and die by the improvement of our secondary. Football Outsiders, in the past couple months, has leaked in a couple of different articles some of their game-charting stats from last year that will end up in their Almanac this summer. Anyone who saw last year will not be surprised that Kareem placed in the bottom five in the league in both Yards per Attempt allowed and in DVOA (basically FO's main catch-all percentage-based stat). I seem to remember him being dead last of 80-some CBs in one of those stats. But, if I'm remembering correctly, he also ranked among the top ten in completion percentage allowed. Theoretically, improved safety play and coaching along with natural development, could lead KJ to quickly go from being one of the worst corners in the league to a pretty good one. I was never a big fan of KJ, even leading up to the draft, but those stats combined with Vance Joseph's interviews are making me very curious.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
I was watching the combine this year, Deion Sanders did a piece where it showed a short film of him working with some prospects at his training facility. In it Deion was was talking about balance and falling down. I don't remember the details of what he said, but based on the piece I got the impression that falling down was very much based on improper technique and that it could be correct, that is assuming that Jackson has the basic motor skills and I believe he does.

So there is reason to be optimistic.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Pro Bowler

I am always basically a glass half-full type of guy. If Kareem Jackson could play for a Nick Sabin team, and in the SEC to boot, there has to be something to work with. I'm banking that now that we finally have a decent DC in Phillips, we will see a better Kareem Jackson in a much better secondary. A leap of faith, sure. But I feel justified in making that claim.