IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Pro Bowler

The Direct TV McNair will jettison Smith, never give OB/HC full control, and hire the most qualified and available personnel man from either Seattle or Green Bay. If that's not an option, DTV McNair will try to lure Howie Roseman from Philadelphia. But unfortunately, I'm convinced we have Cable McNair and will be stuck with Smith for a long time or will make the wrong move - again.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Drafted Rookie

Popanot, that's kinda funny.

My 2 cents here: there's a saying: a fish stinks from the head down. Rick Smith is the head.

One other thing. Arky, others have said it, but thanks for doing the play-by-play here each week. I know it had to be tough to stick with it yesterday. I couldn't watch anymore when it became 35-0.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Pro Bowler

Other than the colossally inept QB play, the overall team speed is severely lacking and is extremely noticeable on the field. That's goes for almost every position. And last year's record was a bit misleading, IMO. The 9 wins last year were to teams with a combined record of 43-101. The only teams they beat either had a rookie QB, a crappy QB (one of which is likely now our starter), or Joe Flacco (who arguably could be lumped into the crappy QB category).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_H..._Texans_season

I know Drew Brees is old and looks to have lost it some, but if I'm the Texans, I'm hoping like hell the Saints purge their cap and I'm making a run at him along with drafting a QB high. You have got to fire that draft bullet sooner or later regardless of risk.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 AM
All-Pro

Cable McNair. Awesome.

I was wondering last night which Texans player I would trade for Brees straight up right now. There aren't many that would not be on that list. Which is sad because Brees is 50 years old and throws like Jeff Bagwell.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Pro Bowler

Houston Texans
‏@HoustonTexans
O'Brien: "Brian (Hoyer) did a good job, but being on a short week, it's important to stay with Ryan right now."
Old 10-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Play at safety has been terrible. I would have expected better from Rahim Moore, and the team basically has a street FA giving them quality snaps. Missing Mike Mohammed has been a tragedy.

Also, and I haven't rewatched the video and hopefully never will, but it seemed to me Vince Wilfork was pulled after being ineffective against the zone scheme blocking. This after mostly three games of providing less than the expected impact we thought he'd have before the season. Ahman Green, Ed Reed ...now Vince Wilfork? Yeesh, please no.

As for Mallett vs. Hoyer Thursday, meh. Just as Mallett was fool's gold racking up yards in Week 1 garbage time, Hoyer was doing the same in Week 4 garbage time yesterday. O'Brien just has to go with his gut on this since it'll be his job on the line anyway. If he wants Mallett out there to save the season, then so be it.

Clearly, this team is going nowhere without a QB, and it seems obvious to all that the 2016 starter is not on this roster already, very disappointing.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:24 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cable McNair. Awesome.

I was wondering last night which Texans player I would trade for Brees straight up right now. There aren't many that would not be on that list. Which is sad because Brees is 50 years old and throws like Jeff Bagwell.
He all of a sudden has a weaker arm than Peyton Mannning. I can't believe he agreed to play yesterday. Their season is already lost and can't be salvaged. If I was Brees I would have been resting up for my 2016 employer.

And I would probably trade 52 of our 53 man roster for old and mostly used up Drew Brees.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
And I would probably trade 52 of our 53 man roster for old and mostly used up Drew Brees.
That's pretty much exactly where I ended up.

Safeties, BAD! ILBs, invisible. I was thinking during the game yesterday that it would be better if RAC simply invented a new defense that does not employ ILBs. I am dead serious. They do nothing, they add nothing, they contribute nothing. Get them off the field. What do you want to replace them? Doesn't matter. DL, OLB, CB, S, hell, put a TE or two out there and see if you can confuse someone. They don't do anything on offense anyway.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Clearly, this team is going nowhere without a QB, and it seems obvious to all that the 2016 starter is not on this roster already, very disappointing.
This squad has way more problems than just QB. Not saying that isn't a big issue, but its certainly not the only one.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM
All-Pro

I actually though Cushing made more individual plays than he has since before the injury. He may have been a part of blowing lots of plays too, but at least he showed he is capable of making a few still.

I also think Hopkins was mugged all game. We seriously must draw the fewest PI/holding calls in the NFL, while surrendering the most. Our guys just don't draw flags. I also got a laugh out of the drive where we got a pair of questionable hands to face calls against us while Julio Jones reached out 5 feet at the top of the route to throw a CB off him by the face. I didn't have it in me to complain yesterday because we were so bad it didn't matter, but it does get old being constantly kicked around by the officials.

The tackling effort on the last rushing TD was maybe the worst moment in Texans history.

And JJ Watt needs to suspend all pre-packaged celebrations. They are bad enough from players on winning teams currently winning the game. But saluting after a TFL in a game you give up 49 points is weak. He makes too many plays to still celebrate every one like a ST who made a punt coverage tackle.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Pro Bowler

If we lose this week to the Colts I'm ready to throw in the towel and go full blown suck-mode for the top pick. Which as of right now, looks to be Goff if we go QB (but alas, we'd probably go DE). Just wish I could come up with a good Goff mantra 'ala Suck for Luck... Only thing I can think of at the moment is kinda dirty.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 PM
All-Pro

They could be worse. They could be the Texas Longhorns.

Seriously, both looked so bad as to be comical. The worst guy on the field yesterday was Arian Foster. Couldn't run. Couldn't catch. Couldn't hold onto the ball.