IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Regular Starter

Default "Hints Dropped" by Kubiak - Is there a MegaBUXXX Signing on the Way?

On the front page in youre latest article, I believe there is a link (hints dropped) that goes to the wrong place. The link goes to the Toro dunking picture. Anyway Im interested in youre comment "With hints dropped that the Texans might be poised to make a sizeable splash this year, it's hard not to get a little antsy.". Can you tell me about this or point me in the right direction. I havent heard anything about this.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
All-Pro

I'm not Keith, but he and both read a comment by Kubiak,
Quote:
(on if the team will be looking to improve defensively through free agency) “Obviously, it’s something Rick and I have been discussing over the course of the last few weeks. We definitely need to make our football team better in free agency, and I think there is an opportunity for us to do that, without specific names or positions. But we’ve done our homework; we are ready to go. Hopefully, we can improve our football team in a couple of spots, and then when we get through with that, we’ll move on to the draft. I think there are some good football players out there.”
I read between the lines and commented here. I just got feeling listening to Kubiak, the official site has the video of the comments, that Kubiak and Smith where going to try and make a splash this year.

I guess Keith also thought something similar.

Now I might be wrong but what if the team went after Haynesworth...

How would that make the DL look?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Drafted Rookie

Someone--Haynesworth--Amobi--Mario ??

I'm down with that. If they want to keep Mario on the right they'll need someone bigger like Gilbert (SJSU) or Johnson (?) out of Georgia Tech to play strong side. Plus, since neither is 1st round material (probably) we can still spend 15 on a LB like a Cushing or Matthews. That would shore up the defensive front 7 pretty well. Of course, they could always move Mario to the left side which would open up the RDE for someone like an Orakpo (if he last to 15, which may not happen now), Brown, Sidbury, or even Barwin out of Cincinnati. Couldn't believe it when I saw him on NFL network. Impressed the hell out of me physically. Big enough for rush end but quick enough and shifty enough to drop in to short coverage if needed.

Either way, you're looking at an awfully tough (and possibly HUGE) defensive line.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I'm not Keith, but he and both read a comment by Kubiak,

I read between the lines and commented here. I just got feeling listening to Kubiak, the official site has the video of the comments, that Kubiak and Smith where going to try and make a splash this year.

I guess Keith also thought something similar.

Now I might be wrong but what if the team went after Haynesworth...

How would that make the DL look?
This is exactly what we need to do. There are so many benefits. I seem to be in the minority on this but I believe he will continue to play well after he gets his payday.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I read between the lines and commented

"I think there is an opportunity for us to do that, without specific names or positions. But we’ve done our homework; we are ready to go. Hopefully, we can improve our football team in a couple of spots, and then when we get through with that, we’ll move on to the draft. I think there are some good football players out there.”
This doesn't sound like they are targeting ONE player like Haynesworth. What about two players - S Sean Jones & LB Jonathan Vilma?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Regular Starter

While I certainly wouldn't complain about Haynesworth, I do have my doubts about what kind of effort you would get, as well as how many snaps. I read a rumor somewhere that the Redskins are supposedly interested and that Daniel Snyder and Haynesworth's agent were seen dining together during the combine. Just getting him out of our division would probably be good enough for me.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
This doesn't sound like they are targeting ONE player like Haynesworth. What about two players - S Sean Jones & LB Jonathan Vilma?
Two guys that I had ahead of Dunta Robinson in the 2004 draft may be available as FA. I just don't know how much $$$$ it would take to sign DT Tommie Harris or DE Will Smith.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
On the front page in youre latest article, I believe there is a link (hints dropped) that goes to the wrong place. The link goes to the Toro dunking picture. Anyway Im interested in youre comment "With hints dropped that the Texans might be poised to make a sizeable splash this year, it's hard not to get a little antsy.". Can you tell me about this or point me in the right direction. I havent heard anything about this.
PK is right. Sorry. Maybe next time I upload a page I'll think to test my own links!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Or Sean Jones and Channing Crowder
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
Or Sean Jones and Channing Crowder
I was thinking Crowder too.

AS far as Haynesworth. I know how dominant he can be, but he's never played a full season and I saw a stat the other day that he only plays about 60% of the defensive stats. I like when teams rotate their lineman to keep them fresh, but I'm not sure I want to pay the highest salary of any defensive players when he's a guy who is hurt a lot and he is off the field for 40% of the plays anyway. I think he either stays in Tenn. or someone give him a ridiculous amount of money and I doubt that will be us.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I was thinking Crowder too.

AS far as Haynesworth. I know how dominant he can be, but he's never played a full season and I saw a stat the other day that he only plays about 60% of the defensive stats. I like when teams rotate their lineman to keep them fresh, but I'm not sure I want to pay the highest salary of any defensive players when he's a guy who is hurt a lot and he is off the field for 40% of the plays anyway. I think he either stays in Tenn. or someone give him a ridiculous amount of money and I doubt that will be us.

And yet he was still in the converstation for MVP of the entire league... For a DT to even be mentioned in that conversation, let alone one who you say only plays 60% of the snaps, that's domination. I'll take him on my team.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn View Post
And yet he was still in the converstation for MVP of the entire league... For a DT to even be mentioned in that conversation, let alone one who you say only plays 60% of the snaps, that's domination. I'll take him on my team.
I know. I would be pumped even though I don't like the guy. I just think it's a huge risk to give a guy like that so much money. The money he wants he will likely hinder our ability to hold onto some other guys in the future if we signed him.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
As PB said, it will hinder the retention of our core guys. Would you sign Haynesworth, if the cap ramifications prevented us from resigning Ryans and Daniels, or Dunta and Ryans or Mario Williams down the road?

I wouldn't.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
As PB said, it will hinder the retention of our core guys. Would you sign Haynesworth, if the cap ramifications prevented us from resigning Ryans and Daniels, or Dunta and Ryans or Mario Williams down the road?

I wouldn't.
I don't think it's quite the doomsday scenario as you're making it out to be.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I don't think it's quite the doomsday scenario as you're making it out to be.
Zierlein Report is that the Redskins are going to offer a 100 mill a year at 15-16 Mill a year. That's elite QB money...higher than the franchise tag this year that Cassel is getting if I'm not mistaken. Definitely could be a cap issue, but it's hard to say what kind if any cap there will be over the life of this deal.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Zierlein Report is that the Redskins are going to offer a 100 mill a year at 15-16 Mill a year. That's elite QB money...higher than the franchise tag this year that Cassel is getting if I'm not mistaken. Definitely could be a cap issue, but it's hard to say what kind if any cap there will be over the life of this deal.

I would HOPE the Texans would not do something like that. SERIOUS cap issues coming for the Redskins.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:

Which was to be expected as many had stated the past few days. He's an impact player that has shown to dominate the game. Whether or not he deserves that kind of contract... How's it any different than giving a similar amount to the number one overall pick who is likely, if not as much, an even bigger risk. I just don't think it's a "sky is falling" scenario that people make it out to be. It's the climate of the NFL. Larry Fitzgerald has roughly 28 million in guaranteed money in his new deal and Asomugha's first two years of his 3 year 45 million dollar contract are guaranteed. Haynesworth would likely receive similar guaranteed money.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Which was to be expected as many had stated the past few days. He's an impact player that has shown to dominate the game. Whether or not he deserves that kind of contract... How's it any different than giving a similar amount to the number one overall pick who is likely, if not as much, an even bigger risk. I just don't think it's a "sky is falling" scenario that people make it out to be. It's the climate of the NFL. Larry Fitzgerald has roughly 28 million in guaranteed money in his new deal and Asomugha's first two years of his 3 year 45 million dollar contract are guaranteed. Haynesworth would likely receive similar guaranteed money.

What is gauranteed in the deal is the key, and we don't know that yet. I'm sure the high salaries would be on the end of the contract too. If he is getting 15 million a year, that's QB money, ELITE QB money and I think would almost definitely have cap implications or at least affect how much payroll room you have to maneuver at some point. It is probably better to wait until someone who knows what they are doing(Keith) can see the actual terms to decide though...of course it's hard to say after this year.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
well, one difference is that a rookie . . .even the first pick isn't gonna get a 100 million dollar contract, also, I would bet that haynesworth will have significantly more guarenteed money than asomugha
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

I think we might be seeing some of the last capped year / uncapped year coming into play here. The Redskins are definitely a "have", and if there is a team that would spend up to their eyeballs in an uncapped situation, it would be Dan Snyder and the Skins.

I think with the Texans tagging Dunta, cutting off talks with DeMeco, and (in what appears likely) tendering Owen Daniels instead of offering a new contract, the Texans might be putting off their big money deals to the uncapped year in 2010, too. Verrrrrrrrryyyy interestink /GermanSoldierVoiceFromLaughIn.

Credit to LZ for sure, but I think Peter King made mention of Haynesworth's agent being in D.C. in his last MMQB... this news isn't a total shock to me.