Texans receive
David Johnson
2020 second round pick
2021 fourth round pick
Old 03-16-2020, 02:46 PM
All-Pro

Disaster. ESPN has already given the Texans an F grade on this deal:

Quote:
My first instinct when I saw the terms of this trade was to worry whether Hopkins had lost a limb.
What the hell are they thinking? Somebody please test O'Brien for the coronavirus because he's obviously sick.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Man, this team is hard to like sometimes.

I'm not seeing too many positives, here... I like David Johnson but I'm not crazy about David Johnson. I think the #2 pick from the Cards is #40 overall which is about as close as the Texans will get to the 1st round this year.

Other than that, totally not worth it. Lopsided value in the Cardinals favor. The Texans lose a fan favorite and continue to alienate their fans...

So far, they lose Hyde, now Hopkins.

"What the hell is going on out there!"
Old 03-17-2020, 09:07 AM
All-Pro

The Vikings got far more for Diggs then we got for Hopkins. It's embarrassing.

It's honestly reached the point where it just makes me care less. I wouldn't say I'm stopping being a fan, but I just can't bring myself to care.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:24 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
The Vikings got far more for Diggs then we got for Hopkins. It's embarrassing.
Indeed. The CBS analysis of the Diggs deal basically says, don't compare it to the Hopkins deal because the Vikings aren't idiots. What we could have done with a 1st and a 3rd rather than a 2nd and a beat-up RB?

The only thing that favors Diggs in comparison to D-Hop is age. But clearly D-Hop is far from finished. Then there's the negative effect this will have on Watson. Randall Cobb is a stopgap. Wish we had traded Fuller instead.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:31 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Indeed. The CBS analysis of the Diggs deal basically says, don't compare it to the Hopkins deal because the Vikings aren't idiots. What we could have done with a 1st and a 3rd rather than a 2nd and a beat-up RB?

The only thing that favors Diggs in comparison to D-Hop is age. But clearly D-Hop is far from finished. Then there's the negative effect this will have on Watson. Randall Cobb is a stopgap. Wish we had traded Fuller instead.
Diggs is one year younger. 26 is not more valuable than 27 in the NFL. Age doesn't mitigate the embarrassing difference in return for them one bit. I'm not saying you were defending the deal based on age. I'm just being clear that it was zero factor here.

We have the worst GM in modern pro sports and in the last 12 months he has ruined our franchise in a way that will take a half decade to come back from. Deshaun Watson's career has been tanked. He has zero chance at winning anything meaningful, and the worst part is that Watson's brilliance is the thing O'Brien has traded on to amass an unprecedented amount of power in our franchise.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I'm guessing Hopkins was a threat to hold out for a monster contract, which I assume the Cardinals are prepared to give him. I'm in absolutely NO way defending this trade or saying it is at all favorable to the Diggs one (since in part Hopkins had I think 3 more years on his current contract and is arguably the top WR in the league at the moment), but it's of course not as simple as comparing their ages and production.

That said, it's a failing of the organization that they have not been able to retain Duane Brown, Jadeveon Clowney, and now DeAndre Hopkins (and maybe D.J. Reader, who is off to Cincinnati)... team leaders who did deserve to be paid. It's sends a poor and recurring message to the rest of roster, namely Deshaun Watkins.

J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus seem to buck that trend, but they are proving to be the exception here.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:15 PM
All-Pro

Don't forget CareBear. We didn't have enough to keep Hopkins or Reader but, goshdarnit, O'Brien wasn't *about* to part with CareBear.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:02 PM
All-Pro

Michael Irvin is on ESPN telling Hopkins' side. Hopkins said BOB called him into a meeting and said the last time he needed a meeting like this was with Aaron Hernandez. BOB then went on to share that he didn't like Hopkins having his 'baby mamas' around the team. I'm sure that will play great in locker rooms around the league.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:46 PM
Regular Starter

I listened to John Granato and Lance Zierlein yesterday morning, before Irvin's report, and they had both heard a story last summer (I believe) about how BOB called Hopkins in for a meeting and ripped him for not being a leader, missing too much practice, etc. They didn't mention or hint at the baby mama or Hernandez stuff but said that Hopkins came away from it wanting out.

As for Hopkins wanting his contract redone, the new CBA is much harsher towards holdouts, so he wouldn't have had a whole lot of leverage. If a player under contract holds out, the daily fines can't be waived anymore and he loses credit for the season after only five days.

I've also seen/heard a few places that a trade for David Johnson should have been like the trade of Osweiler to the Browns -- his contract was so bad, that the Cardinals should have given up a draft pick to get somebody to take it.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 PM
All-Pro

Aaron Wilson of the Chron reports the Texans also talked to the Patriots, Eagles and Bengals about a deal for Hopkins whom they were actively shopping. On Hopkins' end, when you are making $16 mil, how bad is your need to get paid $20 mil? Are the child support payments that onerous? But the blame largely goes on O'Brien.

In the hilarious movie "My Favorite Year", the producer of a tv comedy show suggested to the star that he, for his own safety, cut out a skit lampooning an organized crime figure. The comedian objected saying "That bit is funny, and in my business, you never cut funny."

Well, Hopkins was All-Pro production, and in O'Brien's business, you never trade away All-Pro production. At least until they turn into Antonio Brown. Randall Cobb might have made a nice compliment to Hop but he's going to get booed out of the stadium if fans believe he's a replacement for Hopkins.

It's a darn shame O'Brien didn't talk to the Bills before pulling the trigger. We could have had a first-rounder and more picks.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:58 PM
Hall of Fame

There is a major need for someone to keep OB in check. The radio guys (who have been crucifying OB lately) have suggested that OB got emotional and did something stupid and they are probably right. Anyone recall the story of how OB wanted to let Mallet go in Jacksonville but somebody (Rick Smith?) talked him out of it? The Texans could save face with fans if they bring someone in to do just that (keep OB in check)..... Nick Caserio, maybe?

I'm not sure what to think of Cal McNair at this point other than his being an enabler..... Is he not aware of the mass discontent or realize the consequences?
Old 03-20-2020, 10:47 AM
All-Pro

There will be no consequences until people stop buying tickets.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
There is a major need for someone to keep OB in check. The radio guys (who have been crucifying OB lately) have suggested that OB got emotional and did something stupid and they are probably right. Anyone recall the story of how OB wanted to let Mallet go in Jacksonville but somebody (Rick Smith?) talked him out of it? The Texans could save face with fans if they bring someone in to do just that (keep OB in check)..... Nick Caserio, maybe?

I'm not sure what to think of Cal McNair at this point other than his being an enabler..... Is he not aware of the mass discontent or realize the consequences?
It's not just him being emotional. We haven't made a reasonable trade since he took over GM duties. We get fleeced in every deal. We gave up the best WR in the league and got back an injured RB who is getting paid double what we could have paid Gurley or Gordon on the open market without giving up assets.

We wildly overpaid for Duke Johnson and Tunsil. We got pennies on the dollar for Clowney and Hopkins. This is an unmitigated train wreck. The whole league is getting RB for free while we surrender assets for the right to overpay them. We wildly overpaid for an above average OL who then played above average (except for his league leading penalties).

Charlie Casserly would have fleeced O'Brien. He simply has zero feel for the value of assets. He is so arrogant that when he sees things different he just assumes everyone else is wrong. These deals would get vetoed and get a guy kicked out of a fantasy league.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:44 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There will be no consequences until people stop buying tickets.
Coronapocalypse 2020 could cause that to happen. Imagine if the pre-season were wiped out or they played in empty stadia?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:43 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Coronapocalypse 2020 could cause that to happen. Imagine if the pre-season were wiped out or they played in empty stadia?
There was some talk of that today on the radio. Empty stadiums but televised. The TV money would still be there and probably irresistible...
Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 PM
Regular Starter

FYI - I am still waiting to hear from my friend on the team regarding the Cooks deal but he said that DHop was going to sit out the season if he didn't get a bigger deal. I flat out forgot to come post that over here due to all the COVID madness that was breaking at the time.

DHop wanted the last 3 years of his existing deal torn up, add 2 years to it and have it average over $25 mil per year.

Last edited by bikerack; 04-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.