IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2023, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Default Lovie Smith Fired / Head Coaching Search / DeMeco Ryans Hired!

Didn't wait until the annual Black Monday tradition of firing head coaches the first day after the conclusion of the regular season. For the second year in a row, the Texans have fired a head coach.

Lovie Smith reportedly has three more years due to him. Iirc, his predecessor David Culley has at least one more, maybe two?

Lovie was always something of a stopgap. Brian Flores sued the team, and no one seemingly wanted to be in Houston with the Deshaun Watson issue still unresolved. Theoretically, the position is somewhat more desirable if only because it couldn't get much worse.

Lots of flashy candidate names out there. Doubt any will come, but I would like to see DeMeco Ryans and the Texans have mutual interest. The early buzz though is that Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon and Lions OC Ben Johnson are favorites.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:17 AM
All-Pro

Speaking of suing the team, there is no way Demeco is going to come to the Texans. He sued the team over their jink ass field and he knows first had what a shitshow the place is.

Lovie was always a stopgap, true, but I'm pretty sure the team fired the wrong guy.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Yes, I remember now that Aaron Wilson or someone reported that earlier re: DeMeco. And there is virtually no significant talk of him coming here. Another in a long line of disappointments.

The talk of Gannon a year ago was that he wanted some say in his assistants that for whatever reason the Texans didn't want to give him. Gannon had like 3 interviews and was a finalist but then things got weird with the Flores suit, the Easterby influence, etc.

It's not my money, but by hiring two consecutive stopgaps, the McNairs are paying both Culley and Smith an extra three years for their one year of service. Good for them. For whatever faults, Lovie surely maintained some respect in the league for how the Texans performed dating back to Week 14 (except for that horrid game agains the Jaguars).
Old 01-09-2023, 09:55 AM
All-Pro

Lovie has his share of faults and made more than his share of mistakes and is nowhere near the ideal coach for the team, but he is a very experienced head coach who fits the bill of head coach. A guy like Culley was set up to fail. As you point out, he gets to collect (large) paychecks for a while, so good for him.

I can't imagine any attractive candidate is going to want to work for Caserio, but we'll see.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I don't imagine guys like Payton or Harbaugh have any interest.

fwiw...
Quote:
@ChronBrianSmith
The Texans have interest in DeMeco Ryans for their recently opened HC job.
Up to Ryans if the interest is mutual but the Texans are interested in him.
10:46 AM · Jan 9, 2023
https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/...91049284562947
Old 01-09-2023, 11:36 AM
All-Pro

I have interest in Scarlett Johansson.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Up to Scarlett if the interest is mutual, noted.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Nick Caserio, perhaps learning from last year, isn't messing around this time.
Quote:
@RapSheet
A few more #Texans requests: DeMeco Ryans of the #49ers and Jonathan Gannon of the #Eagles… plus #Broncos DC Ejiro Evero, sources say.

Plenty of impressive young names.

Quote Tweet
@TomPelissero
29m
The #Texans requested an interview with #Lions OC Ben Johnson for their head coaching job, per source.

2:54 PM · Jan 9, 2023
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1612553366734774298

Quote:
@RapSheet
Another impressive young coach: The #Texans have put in to interview #Eagles OC Shane Steichen, source said.
3:07 PM · Jan 9, 2023
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1612556723172134932
Old 01-09-2023, 06:41 PM
Regular Starter

FWIW, DeMeco eventually dropped the Texans and the NFL from the lawsuit, but that was probably because he would have had to go to arbitration to pursue claims against them. Looks like in 2021 he settled with Harris County Sports & Convention Corp. (the stadium owner), the stadium management company, and the turf company.

Obviously less than ideal to have been previously sued by an apparently in-demand guy that they may be interested in hiring, but I don’t think you can assume that he’s not interested based on that fact. Some people are able to compartmentalize these things, especially when there are limited opportunities for these jobs. Also not to say that there aren't other reasons for him not to be interested.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
@AaronWilson_NFL
#Texans put in request to interview Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka, according to a league source
4:38 PM · Jan 10, 2023
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/...41968694296576
Old 01-11-2023, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
@PSchrags
The Houston Texans have also requested permission from the New Orleans Saints to speak with Sean Payton, per sources. He cannot formally interview with any team until January 17th.
@nflnetwork @gmfb @NFLonFOX
2:42 PM · Jan 11, 2023
https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/1613275206721720329

Broncos and Cardinals are also seeking to interview Payton.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Texans interview Ben Johnson today (Thursday), Shane Steichen tomorrow, and Ejiro Evero on Monday. Evero is interviewing with the Colts today.

No word on whether DeMeco Ryans will want to be scheduled. He is focused on the playoffs. Sean Payton can't interview until next week, if he even does. Jonathan Gannon and Mike Kafka interviews TBD I suppose.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:19 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Texans interview Ben Johnson today (Thursday), Shane Steichen tomorrow, and Ejiro Evero on Monday. Evero is interviewing with the Colts today.

No word on whether DeMeco Ryans will want to be scheduled. He if focused on the playoffs. Sean Payton can't interview until next week, if he even does. Jonathan Gannon and Mike Kafka interviews TBD I suppose.
It' good news that they are moving this quickly on a new hire, and yes we do need some young blood instead of another ole timer.
I really like Ryans but I'd rather have an offensive-mined coach than a defensive guy like Ryans. Oh BTW Demeco is married to a Houston native which could be a factor on his interest about coaching back here, but I say top priority lets get somebody who specializes in offenses so we can figure out what to do at QB.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
@TomPelissero
The #Texans requested an interview with #Rams assistant head coach/TE coach Thomas Brown for their head coaching job, per source.

Houston is looking for a young coach to grow with a young team, and Brown fits the mold.
10:36 AM · Jan 12, 2023
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...75719728123905
Old 01-12-2023, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Gannon interview scheduled for Saturday.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
@PatrickStormHTX
Cal McNair a short bit ago on 610 was asked if they have had any interview requests declined..

“No”
10:15 AM · Jan 13, 2023
https://twitter.com/PatrickStormHTX/...32791804350466
Old 01-16-2023, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Thomas Brown interview scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday 1/17). Today is supposed to be Evero, moved to tomorrow. Interviews completed as expected for Johnson, Streichen, and Gannon. Payton should be later this week? And Ryans supposedly hasn't turned down the Texans (yet?).
Old 01-16-2023, 06:32 PM
Administrator

DeMeco Ryans believed to be interviewing with the Texans on Thursday or Friday.

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Colts submitted a request to interview 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans for their HC, per sources.

Ryan’s schedule is jammed. He will start his HC interviews Thursday with the Broncos, and is expected to meet with Colts, Texans and Cardinals before Sunday’s playoff game.
10:55 AM · Jan 16, 2023
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...29929296396296
Quote:
@JamesPalmerTV
Kyle Shanahan told reporters today that he thinks DeMeco Ryans' interviews with the #broncos and #texans should happen Thursday and Friday this week. So it seems Ryans will in fact interview with Houston. The team that drafted him and where he played for 6 seasons.
1:53 PM · Jan 16, 2023
https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/st...74813835612160
Old 01-16-2023, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
@AaronWilson_NFL
#Texans have completed an interview with Sean Payton, per a league source
7:24 PM · Jan 16, 2023
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/...58193897750530
Quote:
@nick_underhill
Payton told @TheHerd he believes the compensation to the Saints will be a “mid or later first-round pick”
1:41 PM · Jan 16, 2023
https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/s...71814182469645

Evero was originally supposed to be interviewed today, now moved to tomorrow along with the Thomas interview. I wonder if he got bumped so the Texans could focus on Payton today? I do not like the idea of giving up any compensation to hire any head coach, including Payton, but if they only lost their second rounder and not #12 overall, I guess I could live with that. A little surprising anyone of any repute wants to talk the Texans, so beggars and choosers and whatnot.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:47 PM
Administrator

The official site tweeted out that they concluded interviews with Evero at 12:03pm and with Thomas at 1:40m. Seems like a quick turnaround, so unsure whether we should read into this that neither (minority) candidates are being considered very seriously?