IntheBullseye.com

IntheBullseye.com (http://inthebullseye.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Texans (http://inthebullseye.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FA Targets (http://inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616)

WMH 03-06-2013 09:09 PM

FA Targets

Gotta look at bringing Winston back... right?

From PFT:
Chiefs release Eric****Winston

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2013, 8:14 PM ESTGetty ImagesWhen Chiefs right tackle****Eric Winston****recently lamented****the looming departure of quarterback****Matt Cassel, we suggested that Winston could still suffer the same fate.And now he is.Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Chiefs are releasing Winston.**** He’ll hit the free agent market immediately, a few days before it opens.Winston was due to earn a base salary of $4.9 million in 2013.**** He signed with the Chiefs after being cut last year by the Texans.Because he received an $8.4 million signing bonus, the acceleration results in a $6.3 million cap charge.**** That’s still $700,000 lower than it would have been if Winston had stayed — and also $4.9 million cheaper.With an $8.4 million signing bonus and a $900,000 salary in 2012, Winston earned $9.3 million in one year with the Chiefs.The move gives the Chiefs the flexibility to take Luke Joeckel with the first pick in the 2013 draft, and then to move Joeckel or****Branden Albert****to the right side.

HPF Bob 03-06-2013 09:31 PM

Just about to post this. Are those F-bombs being edited from your post?:eek:

barrett 03-06-2013 09:42 PM

It definitely hurt us to lose him, but he is also a guy who is not very good if you can't protect him with a great run game and a boot leg system. If you are talking about straight drop back pass protection he is worse than Newton (and maybe Butler). That is probably why a team with $18 million in cap space is cutting him for almost no savings this year (due to his gaurantee and cap hit).

With that said, I'd love to have him back because he was a tone setter on offense and a guy people hated to play against. I wonder if he could play RG with Newton at RT? He made $9 million in one year in KC so maybe he is ready to come home cheap for the chance to play in a system that makes him look good and a franchise that lets him contend.

nunusguy 03-06-2013 10:10 PM

Who says Rick Smith (and Kubiak), didn't know what they were doing last year when they released Winston ?

WMH 03-06-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPF Bob (Post 33866)
Are those F-bombs being edited from your post?:eek:

No, not sure what's up with that. I copied and pasted from my tele.

RG is intriguing. $ will be a factor, I'm sure. Someone will likely over pay, look at some of the OL that had jobs last year. It will be interesting to see if he chases cash again or go to a decent squad.

chuck 03-07-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrett (Post 33867)
I wonder if he could play RG with Newton and RT.

Now you're thinking.

Joshua 03-07-2013 09:41 AM

After basically throwing 2 draft picks last year at RG, I'd be surprised if the Texans don't give one of them a chance to win the job. As such, I don't see them offering Winston much more than camp fodder/safety valve money. But I do think it is an interesting idea.

Warren 03-07-2013 12:15 PM

The Texans and the Eagles were reportedly the first two teams to contact Winston. There's also been speculation that he could end up with the Dolphins, since they pursued him last year but were outbid by the Chiefs, he went to college there, and he would be reunited with offensive coordinator Mike Sherman.

I’d be surprised too if the Texans were willing to throw big money at him, though. FYI, the minimum for a veteran like him who will be in his eighth season is $840,000.

nunusguy 03-07-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua (Post 33871)
After basically throwing 2 draft picks last year at RG, I'd be surprised if the Texans don't give one of them a chance to win the job.

I think one of them, namely 2012 rookie guard Ben Jones, has done that already as he was the starting RG on a regular basis at the latter part of the
regular season and into the playoffs. And I won't be surprised if Jones and the other 2012 rookie guard Brandon Brooks are THE starting guards at the beginning of the 2013 RS.

Keith 03-12-2013 03:40 PM

Wow, Nnamdi released by the Eagles.

Lots of WR traffic... Mike Wallace to Dolphins, Boldin to 49ers, Harvin to Seahawks.

WMH 03-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 33875)
Wow, Nnamdi released by the Eagles.

Lots of WR traffic... Mike Wallace to Dolphins, Boldin to 49ers, Harvin to Seahawks.

Yep, all my wishful thinking went right out the window, especially with the release of Walter.

WMH 03-12-2013 06:19 PM

PDS (@PatDStat) tweeted:
According to @RealMKRob the #Texans have contacted free agent WR Greg Jennings. No contract has been offered.

Nconroe 03-12-2013 06:21 PM

I was afraid of this - Glover Quin and James Casey visiting other teams.
Teams with cap space may just outbid what Texans can offer.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...8-a439bff60689

Blitzwood 03-12-2013 06:53 PM

NFL.com is reporting James Casey has signed with the Eagles.

WMH 03-12-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzwood (Post 33881)
NFL.com is reporting James Casey has signed with the Eagles.

Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) tweeted:
FB James Casey has agreed to a 3-year deal with the Eagles worth $14.5 million

Good for Casey. We need a FB and a TE now....

WMH 03-12-2013 07:24 PM

@WilliamsonNFL: Would say #Vikings #Jets or #Texans are best fits for DHB

WMH 03-12-2013 08:24 PM

Nate Griffin (@coloranalyst) tweeted:
Cowboys, Seattle, San Francisco, New York Giants & Jets, & the HOUSTON TEXANS are showing interest in free agent corner, Charles Woodson

chuck 03-12-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMH (Post 33884)
Nate Griffin (@coloranalyst) tweeted:
Cowboys, Seattle, San Francisco, New York Giants & Jets, & the HOUSTON TEXANS are showing interest in free agent corner, Charles Woodson

I think I would prefer a player with fewer years in the NFL than the Texans.

HPF Bob 03-13-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 33885)
I think I would prefer a player with fewer years in the NFL than the Texans.

LOL. Not if it were Peyton Manning.

Most of the names on this thread don't move me. Jennings might be okay depending on the price tag.

barrett 03-13-2013 09:44 AM

I saw an article that had a very interesting observation. All of the teams spending big or able to spend big right now have cheap QBs on the new rookie salary scale of the last 2 years (seattle, SF, Indy, MIA, CLE). Smart picks (or stumbling into #1 overall), combined with a super friendly rookie scale allows these teams to spend between 5-25% of what most teams are paying for a QB and means they can spend all of that additional money elsewhere. In the Colts case that means overpaying career backups. I was pretty worried about the Colts until they did the opposite of the Polian era (when they never signed a FA and built through the draft) and handed out guaranteed money like crazy for mediocre players.