IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Veteran Depth

Here is a post-game quote by Kubiak. " But the bottom line, we made the same mistake on the backside of the play and how we insert on the play from a defensive end and corner standpoint." If Mario had contain on the play, then Bennett went as brain-dead as anyone I've ever seen. He literally ran right up into Mario's back for no apparent reason. It wouldn't surprise me if Mario was supposed to slide over into the gap and Bennett had contain. Bennett would have to loop around Mario to fill.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Regular Starter

I have no idea what Mario's responsibility on that play was. That being said if the LB's are clean the defensive line did at least an OK job regardless of what their responsibilities are, and the LB's should be expected to make that play...or at least put up a little resistance.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Veteran Depth

Adibi ran himself out of the play. If he stays home, he's cleaner than a broke-dick dog.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradodude View Post
Mario Williams had the best seat in the house last night on several run plays. He is no threat to the opponents run game, that's for certain.
Me personally, I think he made some mistakes in the backfield, but damn it he was in the backfield, which is more than I can say about our line backers minus Ryans. He cant do it all. I think he did his job by causing disruption in the backfield. There were times when Peterson was dead in the water in the backfield and there was no body there except Mario and by the time they got there, they were getting juked out their socks are completely ran over.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post

The right tackle basically had him sealed, and it appeared Mario was pretty content just to hold his position.

And my comment was not even about the first play because the LB's were responsible for making that tackle, not to mention a safety.

This quote does though sum up my feelings about Mario's play when it comes to the run. He excels at getting to the QB when he's told to go...and he better because he sucks at the run.

Another poster mentioned that the Texans lack a mean streak which I agree with. That starts with Mario. Reminds me of one of those 180 lb Rottweiler's that anyone can walk up to and pet. Sure he'll get his 10 to 14 sacks this year but I don't anticipate many double team situations on him.

Teams will have to account for Barwin though. He's coming every single play. And because of that, people are gonna think Mario is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradodude View Post

Teams will have to account for Barwin though. He's coming every single play. And because of that, people are gonna think Mario is the best thing since sliced bread.
I have no problem holding the stars to a higher level, but saying Mario sucks against the run and then pimping Barwin makes no sense at all. Barwin has a great motor, but he's getting taken out of the play on the run pretty often. I think he's going to be very good, but he's still got to prove it...and he has a lot of work to do first.

I'm not saying Mario doesn't make mistakes against the run. He does. He clearly said "my bad" after one run play, but saying he sucks is taking it way too far in my opinion. I think some of Mario's problem is he feels like he has to do everything instead of just taking care of his own stuff. Barwin could help change that. Compared to other elite pass rushers Mario is better than most against the run.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I have no problem holding the stars to a higher level, but saying Mario sucks against the run and then pimping Barwin makes no sense at all. Barwin has a great motor, but he's getting taken out of the play on the run pretty often. I think he's going to be very good, but he's still got to prove it...and he has a lot of work to do first.

I'm not saying Mario doesn't make mistakes against the run. He does. He clearly said "my bad" after one run play, but saying he sucks is taking it way too far in my opinion. I think some of Mario's problem is he feels like he has to do everything instead of just taking care of his own stuff. Barwin could help change that. Compared to other elite pass rushers Mario is better than most against the run.

I'm sure some habits developed with Mario since he was literally the only player on the team that could provide pressure. As this season continues and other guys prove to be playmakers, I don't doubt we will see Mario play more disciplined against the run.

Regarding the Mario to Barwin comparison, certainly Mario is the better player. But, it is clear that Barwin has an intensity, motor, and tenacity that is very rare. Barring injury, that guy is going to be a special player and there are about 50 guys on the team that could learn a few things watching that guy play. He and Demeco are at the ball every single play, regardless of where the play goes... His backside pursuit is something we've never had here.