IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Probably reading more into it than what's there, but with Washington and Shorts on board, perhaps WR isn't a huge priority now with Smith/BOB and they wait until RD2 or 3 to grab one. It seems the two areas we thought were high need, NT and WR, are now less likely the pick at #16.
I guess it all depends upon who is available at #16. I would still draft Amari Cooper or Kevin White if they slipped. Same for Malcolm Brown if he dropped. Then again, if Bud Dupree or Vic Beasley is there when we select, then you have the flexibility to take the BPA.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Probably reading more into it than what's there, but with Washington and Shorts on board, perhaps WR isn't a huge priority now with Smith/BOB and they wait until RD2 or 3 to grab one. It seems the two areas we thought were high need, NT and WR, are now less likely the pick at #16.
I agree. From what I see, they've put them in a position to not "have" to take position X or Y, and they can let the board fall to them. These guys aren't HOF's, well maybe Wilfork might sniff it, but they have the potential to be contributors.

I'm also happy to see the contracts associated with what they've done, as it doesn't appear we'll be hamstrung as a result of over paying FA's.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
@RapSheet: The #Texans are in discussions about bringing back versatile DL Antonio Smith, who was just released by the #Raiders. Could move quickly.
Dammit Wade....

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 8m8 minutes ago
reunites with Kollar instead of #Texans RT @RapSheet: Antonio Smith has agreed to a 1-year deal for $2M with #Broncos, per @RosenhausSports
Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Regular Starter

Default Nix to be cut??

Take it for what it's worth...

http://np.reddit.com/r/Texans/commen...x_will_be_cut/
Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Dammit Wade....

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 8m8 minutes ago
reunites with Kollar instead of #Texans RT @RapSheet: Antonio Smith has agreed to a 1-year deal for $2M with #Broncos, per @RosenhausSports
I have 4 guys to potentially take Antonio's place: Henry Anderson, Preston Smith, Xavier Cooper, or "late round prospect" Derrick Lott.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
So they draft Sam Montgomery one year and Nix the next. What the f are their scouts doing? Do they not talk to anyone? Do they simply not believe it when a college coach tells them that player X is a POS?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM
All-Pro

Nix is simply last year's winner of the Bennie Joppru Award. Seems every year the Texans draft someone who turns out to be entirely useless - typically in the second or third round.

2002 - Charles Hill, 3rd rd.
2002 - (suppl) Tony Hollings, 2nd rd
2003 - Bennie Joppru, 2nd rd., Seth Wand, 3rd rd., Dave Ragone, 3rd rd.
2004 - traded 2nd and 3rd to Tenn for Jason Babin
2005 - Vernand Morency, 3rd rd.
2006 - Charles Spencer, 3rd rd.
2007 - traded 2nd for Matt Schaub
2008 - traded 2nd for Matt Schaub, Antwuan Molden, 3rd rd.
2011 - Brandon Harris, 2nd rd.
2012 - DeVier Posey, 3rd rd*
2013 - Brennan Williams, 3rd rd, Sam Montgomery, 3rd rd.
2014 - Louis Nix, 3rd rd

* - could still merit his selection but it looks less likely each year.

So, as you can see, our record in the 2nd and 3rd sucks ass more often than not under both Casserly and Smith. 2009 and 2010 are the only years where they didn't pick a dud in either round (or traded away the pick) although one could argue about Antoine Caldwell in 2009.

They should probably lock Smith out of the war room on Day 2 and let a blind squirrel do their drafting. The squirrel might do better.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 04-03-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 AM
All-Pro

Not worth arguing but that is rather poor analysis leaving out many incidentals.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 AM
All-Pro

It's ridiculous to list the Schaub picks as a waste. The guy was a good QB and provided great return on those picks up until his last year here. GMs with no QB (or worse, GMs with Derek Carr) would all be thrilled to get the first 5 years of Matt Schaub we got and the division titles that came with that stretch.

Schaub was one of the biggest factors in our transition from joke to above-average franchise. He was then one of the biggest factors holding us back in our efforts to move beyond above average. But I have great appreciation for him and I am guessing you would be hard pressed to hind sight cherry pick those two picks into a bigger payoff for Houston.

Just for comparison's sake, 5 QBs were drafted in the 2nd rounds of the 2007 and 2008 draft. They are Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Brian Brohm, and Chad Henne.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM
All-Pro

My point wasn't to diss Schaub. My point was to explain why there was no mid-round bust because we had less mid-round picks, the same reason I list Babin in 2004.

My other point is that our busts are not low-round "gambles" but guys who ought to be expected to give at least a few good seasons. I almost left Morency off the list because he was halfway decent and I left Caldwell off the list because I can't really say what he contributed but he was at least here. But most of the guys listed here, for whatever reason, did not return value you'd expect for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 04-03-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:28 PM
All-Pro

Joppru and Spencer got hurt after they were drafted so although I enjoy complaining about the FO more than anyone I have to give them a pass there. But the Boselli/Hill tandem of the expansion and first draft did set a nice tone for things to come.

Last edited by chuck; 04-04-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
My point wasn't to diss Schaub. My point was to explain why there was no mid-round bust because we had less mid-round picks, the same reason I list Babin in 2004.

My other point is that our busts are not low-round "gambles" but guys who ought to be expected to give at least a few good seasons. I almost left Morency off the list because he was halfway decent and I left Caldwell off the list because I can't really say what he contributed but he was at least here. But most of the guys listed here, for whatever reason, did not return value you'd expect for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
My bad for misreading your post then.

Either way we can all agree we have failed to make rounds 2-3 work with very few exceptions.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Pro Bowler

From PFT:
Last week, there were a couple of reports about free agent safety Stevie Brown’s potential landing spots.

One had the Giants close to re-signing him while the other included them among a group of five teams that were interested in Brown’s services. The Texans weren’t one of those teams, but they may work their way into the mix.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Brown visited with the Texans on Tuesday.

Houston signed Rahim Moore as a free agent earlier this offseason and have D.J. Swearinger returning for his third season, which doesn’t provide Brown with a clear shot at a starting job. The Giants have fewer obstacles in Brown’s way, but if their offer isn’t where Brown wants it to be that might not be enough for them to close the deal.

Visiting with another team can be a good way to get the wheels moving, however, so Brown may still wind up back with the Giants.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Report: Texans reach deal with RB Chris Polk

Bolstering our RB depth a bit.

From PFT:
Report: Texans reach deal with RB Chris Polk
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

The Texans have reached a contract agreement with Polk, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reported.

Polk (5-11, 222) is likely to compete with Alfred Blue and Jonathan Grimes for time behind Arian Foster in the Texans’ backfield. Polk rushed for 172 yards and four touchdowns on 46 carries for Philadelphia in 2014.

The Eagles tendered Polk as a restricted free agent, but they pulled the offer on Friday. With DeMarco Murray, Ryan Mathews and Darren Sproles ahead of him in the pecking order, the 25-year-old Polk might have struggled to get many carries in Philadelphia, and he could have been in danger of not making the club. However, in Houston, Polk would seem to have a chance to push for the top backup role.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Bolstering our safety depth a bit. Wonder if the Swearinger on the trading block has any teeth.

From PFT:
By Michael David Smith
April 29, 2015, 4:45 PM CDT
Texans sign safety Stevie Brown

Stevie Brown is heading to Houston.

Brown, a veteran safety who played the last three years with the Giants, is joining the Texans. Brown told Kim Jones of NFL Network that he agreed to terms with the Texans today.

The Texans brought Brown in for a visit last week, and it was believed likely that he would end up in Houston. With their depth at the position, the Texans are trying to trade safety D.J. Swearinger.

A 2010 seventh-round pick of the Raiders, Brown bounced around the league from Oakland to Carolina to Indianapolis before landing with the Giants. He had a breakout season in 2012, with eight interceptions and two forced fumbles, but he wasn’t as good a player last year.