IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Pro Bowler

I look on this as perhaps one last reprieve for JJ to pick up his game and hold on to the damn ball.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
So just because someone quickly signed him to an offer sheet means he's destined to be a star?

That's not what I'm saying at all. Just that we tried to slip a guy by with a low tender, and then he went and signed an offer sheet with another team. That's all, even though it's not quite the same, because we ended up having to give vonta a significant raise, whereas matching the broncos offer will put his 09 cap figure at just about what it would be if we'd given him the second round tender. I do think DA's gonna have himself a nice little career, though. Not great by any means, but he's an NFL caliber receiver, for sure. That and i'm sure gonna miss the string dance.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
well, Denver has been pretty active today, but not really impressive gets it seems. I guess I'd match this 4.5 offer, but its close. Good for David though.
I would match it without a second thought. I was with Keith in not understanding why they didn't place a second round tender on him for 500k more. I think you guys are underestimating what DA does for this team. It's not catastrophic if he leaves, but most teams in this league have trouble finding two solid WR's they are happy with. We've got three and I see no reason to lose that for basically peanuts.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I would match it without a second thought. I was with Keith in not understanding why they didn't place a second round tender on him for 500k more. I think you guys are underestimating what DA does for this team. It's not catastrophic if he leaves, but most teams in this league have trouble finding two solid WR's they are happy with. We've got three and I see no reason to lose that for basically peanuts.
17 catches and very little help on special teams doesn't seem difficult to replace. He was a nice player but I'd rather have the extra 7th round pick at that price. LZ commented on his inability to separate from man coverage which is just indicative of his physical limitations. His possible departure reminds me of Billy Miller. Both guys made some plays and got the most out of their abilities and were also fan favorites. However, in both cases, their physical limitations were too great and the roster could be strengthened (potentially) by replacing them.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
17 catches and very little help on special teams doesn't seem difficult to replace. He was a nice player but I'd rather have the extra 7th round pick at that price. LZ commented on his inability to separate from man coverage which is just indicative of his physical limitations. His possible departure reminds me of Billy Miller. Both guys made some plays and got the most out of their abilities and were also fan favorites. However, in both cases, their physical limitations were too great and the roster could be strengthened (potentially) by replacing them.

I'm not saying they aren't plenty of guys who could upgrade David Anderson, but your comparing the small chance most seventh round picks have of making a team vs. a guy who you know can play the role you need of him, who is still young, and relatively cheap, with great hands.

I'm a guy who preaches about the value of draft picks...and advocates hoarding as many of them as you can, but in this case a 7th rounder is not enough, IMO, for a guy who has earned his way onto the team and shown he's capable of contributing (even if it's only a little). If it was a 5th I would probably offer to give him a ride to the airport though.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I'm not saying they aren't plenty of guys who could upgrade David Anderson, but your comparing the small chance most seventh round picks have of making a team vs. a guy who you know can play the role you need of him, who is still young, and relatively cheap, with great hands.

I'm a guy who preaches about the value of draft picks...and advocates hoarding as many of them as you can, but in this case a 7th rounder is not enough, IMO, for a guy who has earned his way onto the team and shown he's capable of contributing (even if it's only a little). If it was a 5th I would probably offer to give him a ride to the airport though.
I don't call his new offer cheap? League minimum is cheap
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Texans have matched.
Quote:

The Texans have matched the three-year $4.5 million offer sheet that wide receiver David Anderson signed with the Denver Broncos last week.
Anderson, who will receive a $1 million signing bonus, is the Texans fourth receiver behind Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Andre Davis. ...
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6293740.html
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Regular Starter

I was wondering about this. Good for DA. Hard work and determination does pay off. He seems like a team guy and plays as hard as he can and I respect the hell out of that.

On a side note, he was one of the most fun players to talk to at last years season ticket holder event. He was with Dreesen and they were a riot to talk with.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
All-Pro

I dunno but wonder just how much interest the Broncos have in DA ? Maybe Smith is holding out for something more than just a seventh round pick ?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Maybe Smith is holding out for something more than just a seventh round pick ?
Probably not. The Texans would have a fresh $1 million in dead money if they traded Anderson.

Thinking the Texans might match their offer, I would guess that the Broncos might have asked Smith for a trade before signing him to the offer sheet, if at all of course.

Then again, considering what the Broncos have done re: Cutler these last few days, there's no telling what's going on in Denver anymore.

As for Anderson, I stated my position early and often, so I'm happy. This is not a huge money deal. For a 4th WR (and perhaps a first choice slot receiver), this is fair, especially on an offense that likes to sling the pigskin around the yard like the Texans do.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Pro Bowler

Good for DA. It wouldn't have bothered me had the Texans not matched, but he does bring some value to the team so I'm glad he's back. No doubt, he deserves to be here more than some.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
All-Pro

I don't think it was a wise move. If the team thought he was worth the money they should have tendered him more upfront. Another overpaid role player. Yes he is a nice guy and everyone pulls for him, but this is a bad business deal, IMO.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM
All-Pro

So you think he should have been tendered at the higher number ($1.5 million), but you think it is a bad business deal to match this offer (3 years, 4.5 million, or 1.5 per year).

I am missing your logic on this one.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
So you think he should have been tendered at the higher number ($1.5 million), but you think it is a bad business deal to match this offer (3 years, 4.5 million, or 1.5 per year).

I am missing your logic on this one.
Your correct i did not make any sense, $1.5M is to much for Anderson's talent level. And now he has dead money if he is cut.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Your correct i did not make any sense, $1.5M is to much for Anderson's talent level. And now he has dead money if he is cut.

Isn't the whole tender gauranteed on a RFA. So tendering him at 1.5 would have actually resulted in more gauranteed money, and more potential dead money. This deal is every bit as cap friendly as the higher tender (or maybe more so).
Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
.... there's no telling what's going on in Denver anymore.......
I think we may be seeing the last of the Denver Connection. With Papa Shanahan gone, there might not be the same good ole boy stuff happening that much. I don't believe Mike Shanahan would have done the DA offer....

Denver picked up Jabar Gaffney from New England so perhaps with the DA move, they were attempting to stockpile some experienced receivers for Cutler...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Isn't the whole tender gauranteed on a RFA. So tendering him at 1.5 would have actually resulted in more gauranteed money, and more potential dead money. This deal is every bit as cap friendly as the higher tender (or maybe more so).
I don't think the RFA tender is guaranteed. The franchise tag becomes guaranteed once signed by the player, but unless I am too sleepy to remember, the RFA (and ERFA) tenders are not guaranteed when signed. There's also no signing bonus on the RFA tenders, so dead money there is not an issue.

Tossing aside the guarantee issue... Anderson's cap value will probably be less in 2009 under a 3-yr contract than as a RFA. With a $1 million signing bonus split into thirds, his bonus would then be $333k. Add that to whatever 2009 base salary he negotiated with the Broncos (probably the min for a player with 3 credited seasons, $535k), and the '09 cap figure for Anderson is maybe around $868k, a few hundred thousand less than with the tender.

So the threat of dead money... Anderson seems to be a virtual lock to make the team in 2009. In 2010, there may or may not be a cap, so I'm not sure dead money is an issue if there isn't. Assuming 2010 is played under the same cap rules as any normal capped year, then yeah DA could have as much as $667k in dead money on the 2010 cap (or half that as a June 1 cut with the other half deferred to 2011, again assuming old rules apply).

Probably overkill on the subject, especially considering this is not at all a big money deal. Take a harder look at Eugene Wilson's cap figures... now there's a dude who needs to perform and not flame out a la Will Demps.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
All-Pro

Are you sure it's not gauranteed. If not, why wouldn't everyone tender at the high amount to make a play for draft picks and then cut the player if nobody signed them to an offer sheet.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Are you sure it's not gauranteed. If not, why wouldn't everyone tender at the high amount to make a play for draft picks and then cut the player if nobody signed them to an offer sheet.
Because the low tender is $1.05 million this year, which is almost double the vet minimum for a player with three credited seasons. Is Stanley McClover worth a one-year $1.05 million contract? No, which is why that RFA wasn't tendered and signed to the vet min.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I don't think it was a wise move. If the team thought he was worth the money they should have tendered him more upfront. Another overpaid role player. Yes he is a nice guy and everyone pulls for him, but this is a bad business deal, IMO.
I agree with part of this. It's obvious the Texans have DA in their plans and want him around or they wouldn't have matched. I think it was almost a given that someone would make him an offer if the risk was only a 7th round. If they would have just given him a second round tender that would have stopped any offers IMO. Now they are tied up to him for more money. The deal is not huge, and the dead money would not be a killer if we had to cut him....if there's even a cap.

I think DA is slotted to be our #3 WR this year. I' sure Davis will get a few reps, but it looks doubtful that Jacoby is even part of the plan. I don't think that this contract is outrageous for the role he is likel to fill for this team this year. I do think the Texans didn't play their hand well with the low tender.