IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Regular Starter

Default 1st round: CB/LT . . .or anything else?

what are everyone's thoughts on what the texans should go after now that we are less than a week away? i am honestly still unsure. i would love to have a LT to anchor the O-line, and if spencer came back healthy and we draft a solid LT, we could put spencer in at right guard next to winston and maybe finally have a o-line to be excited about going into a season. couldn't complain about a corner given duante's situation, but i am still leaning most toward hoping for some kind of trade down scenario, though you can't ever count on that.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
All-Pro

A trade down would be awesome. Smith is probably most interested in seeing Chris Williams or Derrick Harvey slide down to #18, but doubt that either happens. Personally, I'm ready to buy my Antoine Cason jersey.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Drafted Rookie

Yeah, someone needs to trade up to us to get their QB. I just feel TB will draft Brohm in the 1st.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Regular Starter

if they could just pick up another 3rd for dropping to 21-24, that would be fantastic
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Regular Starter

The year of the Travis Johnson selection, we moved back 3 spots with NO and picked up the additional third, which turned into V. Morency, which turned into Sam Gado which turned into his release.

The Saints ended up with Jamal Brown, a good tackle.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The year of the Travis Johnson selection, we moved back 3 spots with NO and picked up the additional third, which turned into V. Morency, which turned into Sam Gado which turned into his release.

On the flip side, the Texans have done a good job in the last couple years in the 3rd. Winston looks like our right tackle for the next 10 years and Spencer looked good in his limited time. It's just unfortunate that he suffered such a serious injury. I like Jacoby as well.

I guess whether you see a trade down as a good or bad decision hinges mostly on your faith in the Texans to make the most out of the lower picks. As of right now, I believe they would do so and thus, wouldn't mind a trade down, particularly if the LTs and CBs are gone.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 AM
On the Sidelines

Send a message via AIM to badboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
A trade down would be awesome. Smith is probably most interested in seeing Chris Williams or Derrick Harvey slide down to #18, but doubt that either happens. Personally, I'm ready to buy my Antoine Cason jersey.
Perfect scenario,

Trade #18 to Atlanta for their two 2nds. Select Collins (LT) or Tony Hill. Then Cason or Justin King for your CB.Trade Sage to Arizona or Vikings for a second round. Select Jamaal Charles or Forte for your RB. The first is very unlikely as Atlanta can use those two picks per mods I've seen, but it is possible. This scenario fill 3 holes for us and leave 3,4th & 5th picks to add depth.

Realistically, I think we will sign Williams or Stewart if there at #18.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM
All-Pro

I'd be very happy if Chris Williams fell to us. If he doesn't I'd like to see a trade down and still get a good CB. As much as Roy loves Cason, I don't think the rest of the NFL rates him as a #18 pick so we could probably slide down and still get him. Kenny Phillips still intrigues me although his stock has fallen and the Texans are now two-deep at safeties that they probably won't cut.

As everyone knows, I'm tired of burning our #1s exclusively on d-linemen.

IMO, RB is a third-round or fourth-round target.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Undrafted Rookie

Smile

The swami looks into his crystal ball and can see a Rosenfels trade. We trade back and come out with another late second and roll into the season with a new back-up QB.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The swami looks into his crystal ball and can see a Rosenfels trade. We trade back and come out with another late second and roll into the season with a new back-up QB.
I would love to see that.

Hopefully someone new becomes interested in Sage as a starter. I think if the Vikes weren't out before they are now that they sent their first and two thirds to KC for Jared Allen. Unless they really want to take a nap until Sunday afternoon. Then again, if you're trading picks in a win-now mode, maybe a deal for Sage could be in the cards.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I have a feeling that there is a draft day trade already set up for Rosenfels. I have nothing to back it up so it may just be gas....
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Undrafted Rookie

If everything breaks right I think he is dealt. Let's say a team at the top of the draft is looking at Matt Ryans and say they don't like the other QB's early...perhaps they have already told the Texans they would make a deal for Rosenfels for their 3rd rounder (or whatever). The team that desires a QB doesn't have to force a pick and still get a guy who can start with the pick they send to the Texans. The Texans couldn't make that Gentleman's deal without having Quinn under contract, ready to back up Schaub.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Casserly was also the person doing the picking that year. I trust Smith and Kubiak much more.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Regular Starter

[QUOTE=HPF Bob;44]I'd be very happy if Chris Williams fell to us.
As everyone knows, I'm tired of burning our #1s exclusively on d-linemen.
IQUOTE]

If Williams fell that would be fantastic. I do not think we would pass him up, with as many turnstyles we have had at the LT position.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
Casserly was also the person doing the picking that year. I trust Smith and Kubiak much more.
I was trying to forget the Casserly regime. I left his name out on purpose. I, like you trust Kubiac and Smith based on the past two drafts.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM
On the Sidelines

Quote:
If everything breaks right I think he is dealt. Let's say a team at the top of the draft is looking at Matt Ryans and say they don't like the other QB's early...perhaps they have already told the Texans they would make a deal for Rosenfels for their 3rd rounder (or whatever). The team that desires a QB doesn't have to force a pick and still get a guy who can start with the pick they send to the Texans. The Texans couldn't make that Gentleman's deal without having Quinn under contract, ready to back up Schaub.
This is the scenario I see. I think we will get a second for Sage. If only a 3rd, then Smith should have announced the deal when offered made rather than deny it. If WIlliams or Stewart at #18 I go and in that order. If not, a trade down with anything thrown it should get a very good player and another pick.

I do not think that Vikes are out because of Jared Allen. They gave up those picks to get a tremendous starter. A 2 for Sage who would be there starter or at minimum a great back up seems a good deal. SR contract is very good and he has two years. They need other players but a QB is a need position also.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
This is the scenario I see. I think we will get a second for Sage. If only a 3rd, then Smith should have announced the deal when offered made rather than deny it. If WIlliams or Stewart at #18 I go and in that order. If not, a trade down with anything thrown it should get a very good player and another pick.

I do not think that Vikes are out because of Jared Allen. They gave up those picks to get a tremendous starter. A 2 for Sage who would be there starter or at minimum a great back up seems a good deal. SR contract is very good and he has two years. They need other players but a QB is a need position also.
There isn't much difference in a late second and an early 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike

we also ended up with the Geico Caveman Eric Winston.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I am not a male model by any stretch, but Winston is one scary, ugly human being, but he played really well last year.

Welcome back Vinny.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Regular Starter

I'm going to go on record and say that Green Bay gives us their second 2nd round pick for Sage.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:55 PM
On the Sidelines

Quote:
Quote:
There isn't much difference in a late second and an early 3rd.

Yes, but Viking 3rd is the 17th pick I think and that is whole lot different than an early 3rd. Their 3rd this year did go for Allen correct?