IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Okay, Carl Nicks is still on the board, Antoine Cason went at #27, and we drafted Duane Brown.

I'm officially, not happy.
Has the new regime really given you any reason to be mad? Im not saying that they wont make a mistake, but, they have seemed to be able to identify and draft some quality players thus far. They have earned some benefit of the doubt in my mind. Especially in the case of Duane Brown with Alex Gibbs on board. I didn't think they would go oline in the first, but you know the guru Gibbs definitely had his approval on Brown.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn View Post
Has the new regime really given you any reason to be mad? Im not saying that they wont make a mistake, but, they have seemed to be able to identify and draft some quality players thus far. They have earned some benefit of the doubt in my mind. Especially in the case of Duane Brown with Alex Gibbs on board. I didn't think they would go oline in the first, but you know the guru Gibbs definitely had his approval on Brown.
But he wasn't one of "his guys!"
Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think the most intriguing thing for me will be whether the team selects a running back in the first three rounds, especially the first round. With three decent options - McFadden, Stewart, and Mendenhall - I'm not sure all will be gone by #18.

Just how comfortable is the team going into the season with Ahman, Brown, Walker, and Taylor?
I'll pull a muscle giving myself a pat on the back for nailing this story line. I was pretty doubtful that both Stewart and Mendenhall would be gone by #18.

While I think it is inevitable that the Texans take a corner sooner than later, how early they select a running back will again be interesting to me as we start Day Two.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Okay, Carl Nicks is still on the board, Antoine Cason went at #27, and we drafted Duane Brown.

don't be upset till the players hit the field and disappoint...then hammer 'em. Unless of course they play like they are who they think they were. Or something like that.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM
On the Sidelines

Quote:

Hmm - Carl Nicks might have been a bit of a reach with the 26th pick. And the 118th pick.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizidyDizidy View Post
Hmm - Carl Nicks might have been a bit of a reach with the 26th pick. And the 118th pick.
Roy, Nicks had issues that where not related to getting drunk at a party. For a HC to bar a player from working out, they are much bigger issues. And it hurt his draft stock.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
All-Pro

Well, I understand that we fans are not always privvy to all of the information. Considering that Nicks went at #164, there must be some truckloads of Samsonite that he brings. I'll still be very interested in seeing if he moves Jammall Brown back to RT and anchors the Saints LT position this upcoming season. It will also be interesting to see if he has anymore "off field issues" that might cause alarm.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Reeves signed a 5-year contract that included a $4 million signing bonus ($4MM / 5 yr = $800k/yr prorate). He also got an addition $2 million as a roster bonus on this year's cap, which is the reason why cutting him after this year or next would be less painful... that extra $2MM won't need to be spread over future years.

2008: $1MM base, $800k prorate, $2MM roster = $3.8MM cap hit

So getting rid of Reeves after just one year would mean ($800k * 4 years) $3.2 million in dead money. If taken as a June 1, 2009 cut, that would mean $800k on the 2009 cap and $2.4 million on the 2010 cap.
Thanks for clearing this up, if he does not work out then letting him go is not as huge a deal as I had feared.

Besides, if Dunta comes back having him, Bennett and now Moulden as the top 3 CBs is a nice group.

Now lets see how our Lbs shake out.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Moulden as the top 3 CBs is a nice group.
I've seen this a lot. Since he's now on our team, we should learn how to spell his name: Antwaun Molden. There is a "u" in Antwaun but not in Molden.