IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > Feedback and Updates

Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Regular Starter

Default Texans Bull Blog Commentary [Split Thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Doubtful there is much to this. Seems too risky for both player and team in the event of a fall out.

He sits this weekend, then you may have something, till then, you are driving blog hits.

I can promise you that we did not write/come up with this story in order to "drive blog hits". We aren't calculated that way. We are a little reactionary. So, it is very possible that we are overreacting. However, the information and conclusions are genuine expressions of our fandom. The purpose of our blog is simply to communicate our passion and love for football and the Texans. The day we make calculated decisions to drum up artificial stories, is the day I no longer want to be involved in writing our blog.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I can promise you that we did not write/come up with this story in order to "drive blog hits". We aren't calculated that way. We are a little reactionary. So, it is very possible that we are overreacting. However, the information and conclusions are genuine expressions of our fandom. The purpose of our blog is simply to communicate our passion and love for football and the Texans. The day we make calculated decisions to drum up artificial stories, is the day I no longer want to be involved in writing our blog.
Generally speaking I enjoy your new blog and find many of your comments informative and insightful. But you do need to temper you're tendancy to be
a "little reactionary" with a certain degree of deliberation so as to retain your credibility. For example, earlier you made what amounted to a "bet the farm" guarantee that Schobel would be a Texan in 24 hours (if not on this website, then another Texans website). So how's that goin lately ?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Generally speaking I enjoy your new blog and find many of your comments informative and insightful. But you do need to temper you're tendancy to be
a "little reactionary" with a certain degree of deliberation so as to retain your credibility. For example, earlier you made what amounted to a "bet the farm" guarantee that Schobel would be a Texan in 24 hours (if not on this website, then another Texans website). So how's that goin lately ?
Noted criticism. Regarding the Schobel article, I think it was a reasonable and well written article. It was not a "bet the farm" guarantee at all. Actually, it was more measured than LZ's assertions, for instance. However, I made a mistake with the heading: "Schobel will be a Texan in 24 hours"... When I editted the story for content, I simply didn't pay attention to the header. After BattleRed Blog quoted the headline as if it was breaking news, I realized the problem and made a change to it.

Here's the Schobel article, in blue(minus the header):

I’m not Adam Schefter but my sources are as solid as ESPN’s sources saying “Bret Favre is retiring”. Multiple reports assert the Bills will cut Aaron Schobel today. Given the fact that the Bills GM is on record saying that they don’t want him on the team and given his huge contract, I am confident the reports are accurate.

Why do I have confidence he’s coming to Houston? Well, I am not always a believer in reports from John McClain. However, yesterday, McClain directly quoted Schobel saying that Houston is the team he wants to play for. McClain doesn’t make up quotes. When he is speculating or trying to fill newspaper/blog space, he will say “I think” or “I’m hearing”… Also, there seems to be some real momentum to this deal.

I think it is a great deal for the Texans. I’m not a guy who usually gets excited about big name free agents and 30+ year old veterans signing with my team but this move would make a ton of sense. The Texans have two pure edge rushers on their entire 80 man roster right now: Connor Barwin and Tim Jamison. Both players are young and somewhat unpolished. Antonio Smith is actually a better interior pass rusher and Mario, though he provides an excellent pass rush, is not a classic edge rusher. Furthermore, Schobel is more skilled and fundamentally sound as a pass rush DE than any of those guys (it’s not even close). Also, he is exactly the kind of player the Texans pursue (“We want tough, smart football players with a passion for the game…”-Brian Gardner, director of football personnel).

Think about this: Aaron Schobel, on a wretched Bills team that rarely had a lead, registered 10 sacks last season while hobbled with lower leg injuries. Mario had nine sacks on a team with a prolific offense. I’d say Schobel could be useful!

Last preseason, another struggling team that changed front office and coaching staffs in the off-season, decided to cut a productive player in order to move on. Just like the Kollar relationship with Schobel, the Texans had an assistant coach with a history with that player… and, the Texans signed him. The coach was David Gibbs and the player was Bernard Pollard.

We are writing a fan blog, so I want my enthusiasm to come through in the article... as it does here. I don't see anything in the article I would change.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

We are writing a fan blog, so I want my enthusiasm to come through in the article... as it does here. I don't see anything in the article I would change.
You do this well - i.e., letting fan enthusiasm show through. I think when you go out on a limb, though, be prepared for a little criticism. Too much of it might not be a great idea...

I love the "Kubiak translator". I would be tempted to make it even a little bit more edgier. Maybe not Kissing Suzy Kulber edgy though I think any humor is better than none. Some of today's fans are so darn serious about their fandom and the way they perceive other fans should behave. I think it would be fun to poke fun at this type of thinking.... IMO, keeping it light is always a good thing....
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Regular Starter

I must say Im enjoying the Texans Bull Blog as well
Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I can promise you that we did not write/come up with this story in order to "drive blog hits".
Could have fooled me since nearly every one of your posts pimps your blog.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Could have fooled me since nearly every one of your posts pimps your blog.
I'm speaking to the integrity of our writing and our blog. Of course, we want blog hits. I don't really see a problem with leaving a link to our blog on this message board (especially since we have a permanent link to IntheBullseye on our site). I'm saying that we wouldn't sensationalize a story or fabricate one simply because we think it will drive hits to our site.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Regular Starter

I too noticed a bit of advertising in Dalemurphy's blog post, but I don't mind it, because I love the new blog. I really do. In fact, being the Texans Junkie that I am, I'm grateful for the blog. Especially the in depth player breakdowns. I'd like to see that after every game this year.

Concerning Schnabel, I think he did tell the Texans he was VERY interested. I personally think it came down to money. Like all aging veterans who have made a lot of money, he wants a lot more of it or it's not worth it for him to play. He may still end up here this year. Personally, I say we should pass on him unless he only wants a one year contract. Old guys are usually not worth what they end up getting paid.

Concerning Slaton, I didn't think anyone overreacted to the film evidence, but as someone with a medical background mentioned on another blog site, he may be having residual pain when he gets hit just right, and it is quite possibly pain that isn't debilitating. Just something he has to play through. Unless he cares to retire at a very young age.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 PM
All-Pro

Reading through Dale's posts I want to mention that the Barrett he is referencing as a partner is not me. I wouldn't want that Barrett to have all of my dumb predictions on this site over the years following him around.

As for all of the posts referencing the new blog, I have no problem with it. The blog seems to be in the same attitude as the ITB board. Actual football knowledge and attention to detail rather than mindless ranting and fandom.

Keep up the good work Dale and keep giving us easily accessible links inside of related threads here (that is as long as Keith is ok with it).
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm speaking to the integrity of our writing and our blog. Of course, we want blog hits. I don't really see a problem with leaving a link to our blog on this message board (especially since we have a permanent link to IntheBullseye on our site). I'm saying that we wouldn't sensationalize a story or fabricate one simply because we think it will drive hits to our site.
This isn't my site and Keith is well within his rights to disagree, overrule my view or even delete this post if he likes, but I'm finding myself put off by your posts that are basically, "Some piece of Texans related information in a sentence or two" and a link to your blog.

I like your blog, your site, I really do. But I feel (*I* feel, my opinion solely) that if you're going to participate here you should participate here and not try to drive the conversation away from this site and to your site. This may not be your intention but it is certainly the impression I have received.

Imagine my going to your site and commenting on a blog by saying "I have all sorts of interesting and provocative things to say about this and I do so at hpf.com." It's a bit unseemly, isn't it?

Maybe you could give us an honest to god post here with whatever your input is - and please know I appreciate and enjoy your input - and at the end of the post mention that there's additional discussion at your place.

Am I explaining myself? I'm not trying to be a prick or pick a fight, just giving you my two cents.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This isn't my site and Keith is well within his rights to disagree, overrule my view or even delete this post if he likes, but I'm finding myself put off by your posts that are basically, "Some piece of Texans related information in a sentence or two" and a link to your blog.

I like your blog, your site, I really do. But I feel (*I* feel, my opinion solely) that if you're going to participate here you should participate here and not try to drive the conversation away from this site and to your site. This may not be your intention but it is certainly the impression I have received.

Imagine my going to your site and commenting on a blog by saying "I have all sorts of interesting and provocative things to say about this and I do so at hpf.com." It's a bit unseemly, isn't it?

Maybe you could give us an honest to god post here with whatever your input is - and please know I appreciate and enjoy your input - and at the end of the post mention that there's additional discussion at your place.

Am I explaining myself? I'm not trying to be a prick or pick a fight, just giving you my two cents.

I get what you are saying. However, it is worth noting again that I have a link to inthebullseye on our site. It is one of 9, I think, links that are permanently on our main page. So, I don't feel that I am take advantage of inthebullseye.com. Beyond that, I feel our content supplements this site well. I have been a part of this site back when it was houstonprofootball.com. I haven't been a consistent poster, but I have been here and always appreciated the content and have always recommended it to others- particularly the pre-draft coverage and the Salary cap page, which I think are both premier.

I'm of the opinion that more quality coverage of the Texans is good for everyone. Particularly with the Texans, we are a long ways away from saturated coverage. Also, we are not a message board and so we are not threatening to impinge on what you do here. Instead, we are supplementing it and hopefully providing commentors on this site with more to discuss.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

I have to agree with Chuck on most of this. Dale has started to be similar to TexansChick in starting threads that are only meant to drive us to his blog.

He is not sharing here in the way he used to share before he started the blog.

While I have enjoyed his blog I am getting tired of the IMO blatant attempts to drive traffic. BTW I get tired of this from Steff also.

I have enjoyed your insights here, and wish you to reengage in the discussions here. Not hold back for a blog post. That is just my opinion.

As for the links I don't have a problem with them when they add to the discussions, but starting threads to drive us to a blog...

I want to reinforce, dalemurphy has been one of the valued voices on this board and I do not want to see him leave, just tone down the sales pitches.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I have to agree with Chuck on most of this. Dale has started to be similar to TexansChick in starting threads that are only meant to drive us to his blog.

He is not sharing here in the way he used to share before he started the blog.

While I have enjoyed his blog I am getting tired of the IMO blatant attempts to drive traffic. BTW I get tired of this from Steff also.

I have enjoyed your insights here, and wish you to reengage in the discussions here. Not hold back for a blog post. That is just my opinion.

As for the links I don't have a problem with them when they add to the discussions, but starting threads to drive us to a blog...

I want to reinforce, dalemurphy has been one of the valued voices on this board and I do not want to see him leave, just tone down the sales pitches.
This is the best way to do it in my opinion.

If there is a conversation on the OL performance going on in our forum, reply to the thread and throw in a link into that existing thread that links potential visitors directly to your OL performance review. That feels natural.

The new threads created specifically to link are the only thing that bother me at all.

But on the whole I like your new blog and think it goes well with ITB.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
This is the best way to do it in my opinion.

If there is a conversation on the OL performance going on in our forum, reply to the thread and throw in a link into that existing thread that links potential visitors directly to your OL performance review. That feels natural.

The new threads created specifically to link are the only thing that bother me at all.

But on the whole I like your new blog and think it goes well with ITB.
I honestly don't get the offense. I feel like I have added to the discussion and simply don't understand how starting a new thread that board members would have interest in is inappropriate. Then again, I'm certainly not an expert on etiquette. Since I'm clearly offending board regulars, I will refrain from starting new threads and will link fewer of our articles onto this message board.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I honestly don't get the offense. I feel like I have added to the discussion and simply don't understand how starting a new thread that board members would have interest in is inappropriate. Then again, I'm certainly not an expert on etiquette. Since I'm clearly offending board regulars, I will refrain from starting new threads and will link fewer of our articles onto this message board.
dale it is a fine line, and I guess you have to cross it sometimes in order for us to find that line. Have you been a pain, not at all.

IMO ITB.com has been a smaller more intimate group. We tend to be more knowledgeable then the average fan on the official site. TT.com has some great posters and I learn a ton there, but they have to many guys who are being deliberate trolls. So far this site has avoided that type of poster.

I'm not sure I know the best way for you to handle this. I don't want to see you leave this site, I mainly want to see you reengage here as a valued participant, not just a promoter.

I tried to be a little more clear about this, not sure that I was.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You've gotta a new blog and you want to get the message out and that is fine. But, I think at some point you've got to back off a little. I hit a lot of Texans message boards/blogs and you are everywhere.

If your blog is good and has interesting content, then there won't be any need for promotion. Readers will do all the linking, promoting and creating discussion for you....
Old 08-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Regular Starter

Geez guys!!! I have been logging on almost everyday since training camp started and i see no more than 4 to 5 new posts per day. At least Dale was still one of the few active members posting good info here. If it wasn't for his links I probably would have never found out about the Texans Bull Blog. Dale, i hope you dont stop posting here man.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Pro Bowler

I will second the motion. For me your posts have been mostly very informative, especially your observations vis a vis training camp workouts. Keep it up!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Drafted Rookie

I very rarely post here -- I don't even log-in normally -- but I peruse this sight often. As was mentioned above, this is a smaller, but much more football-savvy group, minus most of the trolls that live at some of the other sites. I gain a great amount of in-sight looking at ITB. Yes, there are often disagreements, but they are normally healthy. DM, you are one of those whose opinions here I respect. I have enjoyed your write-ups, pix, and videos from camp and the game last Saturday night. In the past, you did not post often, but, when you did, I often agreed with your take on things. However, since camp started this season, it appears to me that you post much more than you ever did, and almost all posts link to your site. I don't really mind the links, but it does look like you are pushing people towards your site. That said, I hope you continue at this website. I believe that most here, including those commenting above, respect your opinions. I certainly do.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'ball Fool View Post
I very rarely post here -- I don't even log-in normally -- but I peruse this sight often. As was mentioned above, this is a smaller, but much more football-savvy group, minus most of the trolls that live at some of the other sites. I gain a great amount of in-sight looking at ITB. Yes, there are often disagreements, but they are normally healthy. DM, you are one of those whose opinions here I respect. I have enjoyed your write-ups, pix, and videos from camp and the game last Saturday night. In the past, you did not post often, but, when you did, I often agreed with your take on things. However, since camp started this season, it appears to me that you post much more than you ever did, and almost all posts link to your site. I don't really mind the links, but it does look like you are pushing people towards your site. That said, I hope you continue at this website. I believe that most here, including those commenting above, respect your opinions. I certainly do.
I appreciate that. Certainly, I have been posting more lately. I'm devoting much more of my time towards writing and studying the Texans this year than I have in the past. So, I have more to say. Also, I am definitely attempting to introduce people to our site. We started this thing only three weeks ago and have been making a push for fans that really appreciate the game and the Texans to read our material. What I did not understand is that would be offensive to some people. Since we are not a message board and since I was contributing to this message board, I didn't see any conflict of interest. In addition, out of the respect we have for this site, we included inthebullseye.com as a permanent link on our site. So, it seems to me that the more people visit our site, then the better that is for this site as well.

However, now that it has been expressed to me that posting links is offensive to some of the regulars on here, I will refrain from doing so... even if I don't understand the offensiveness of it.