All-Pro

Default It's Official - Astros to AL in 2013

Fyb fyb fyb fyb
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Fyb fyb fyb fyb
As usual, you have it wrong. It's not Bud. He's doing his job. Drayton has sold out his fans and his franchise and is getting a free ride from the Houston media. It's disgusting.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 AM
All-Pro

Well, nobody's getting a free pass on this, believe me but I do sincerely believe neither McLane or Crane would have switched leagues on their own because they knew there would be hell to pay from the fans. Still, they ultimately agreed to do it so they get all the scorn and derision they deserve.

But I'm with you regarding being done with the Astros. By this time next year, I'll be the fan of another NL team or I just won't give a shit about baseball anymore. Given all I've invested in documenting their history, I feel spat upon. Can't tell you yet if AD will fold, but it's a strong possibility.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Pro Bowler

Crane had zero leverage in this deal. Zero.

I can imagine the conversation went like this:
You want to buy a team, sure, we'll "let" you. But, in order for us to approve this deal, you have to agree to move to the AL.
Just to account for some of the issues you will face, we'll give you a $70MM "discount" for agreeing to this. MLB will kick in $35MM, and we'll make Uncle Drayton knock off $35MM.

How's that sound to you? Well, we really don't care. It is what it is, take it or leave it.

At first I was happy it was finally done, but then I heard Crane's presser. Budget, budget, budget. Payroll will go backwards before going forward.
Huh? WTH? You have a $60MM payroll, and your telling your fans, who you just pissed off by moving the team to the AL, that your going to spend less?

WOW. The Houston Astros have officially become the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Gee, great.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, nobody's getting a free pass on this, believe me but I do sincerely believe neither McLane or Crane would have switched leagues on their own because they knew there would be hell to pay from the fans. Still, they ultimately agreed to do it so they get all the scorn and derision they deserve.

But I'm with you regarding being done with the Astros. By this time next year, I'll be the fan of another NL team or I just won't give a shit about baseball anymore. Given all I've invested in documenting their history, I feel spat upon. Can't tell you yet if AD will fold, but it's a strong possibility.
The AD forum is not exactly my cup of tea but there is a ton of excellent archival data and historical information on the site that I appreciate a great deal. And I am well aware of how much time you've spent contributing to the site. I can only imagine how disappointing it is for you in light of the investment you've made.

What disgusts me as much as any of it is that Drayton knew about the plan to move the team all along and he lied about it continually. My contempt for that piece of shit human being is total.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Don't care what they say - should've been Milwaukee to make the move all along..... Astros have 50 years of NL tradition. Milwaukee? They've already been in the AL before...

Boycott. There ain't much any of us can do about it except boycott. Don't feed the machine...

I"m surprised there haven't been some "leaders" to come out and speak out against the move... Bagwell, Biggio? Where are you guys? Any former Astros stepping up? Deshaies and Brownie ain't saying nothing cause they still want to keep there jobs....
Old 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
All-Pro

The Chronicle had a story where Larry Dierker came out opposed to the idea. Later on, Jim Wynn and Bob Watson did too in subtler ways.

But the Chron has been carrying the water on "the move is a good thing" for months now so they've lowballed any disenchantment for months. The media knows they can't go too negative because the Astros bring them revenue and the current players are too young or new, largely, to understand what's at issue.

Lance Berkman generated headlines last week by calling it "a travesty".

Crane has his 30 shekels of silver and what's done is done.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
........But the Chron has been carrying the water on "the move is a good thing" for months now so they've lowballed any disenchantment for months. The media knows they can't go too negative because the Astros bring them revenue and the current players are too young or new, largely, to understand what's at issue......
Yeah, I know, and I really detest that condescending "they'll get over it" attitude. You just don't rip the carpet out from under someone who's been a Astros/NL fan for 50 years (48 in my case)...

Boycott. Don't spend a dime on the Astros.....
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
All-Pro

I must be the only one that likes the move to a division that plays the Rangers on a regular basis. Our rivals before the current line up of teams had us playing the Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Braves, and Reds. That was thrown out the window for the current format.

I had no ties to the Cubs and Cards, much less the Brewers, so this move means little to me.

I will grant you that the DH is a bad rule, other than that what is the difference in the two leagues? The big market teams in New York and Boston playing with the low income teams all over the country. Big deal.

I like the fact that we have a rivalry now with a city I hate. Only sad thing is the man I want to own our team is the owner of the rival city team.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I must be the only one that likes the move to a division that plays the Rangers on a regular basis.
I suspect there are a lot more fans like you than there are fans like Bob, Arky and me.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:22 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

I had no ties to the Cubs and Cards, much less the Brewers, so this move means little to me.
It's not about ties to any of those teams, it's about ties to the Astros and the NL. Those teams you mention are the enemy except during an All Star game or a World Series - then the AL is the enemy.

Quote:
I will grant you that the DH is a bad rule, other than that what is the difference in the two leagues?
The old stereotypes are that the NL was all about pitching/defense/speed/bunting/sacrifices. The NL is old school, pitcher bats. The AL seemed to have all the sluggers (beer league baseball). Something still true is that an AL starting pitcher with a 4.50 ERA is considered "good". That usually wouldn't cut it in the NL...

Nowadays, with the advent of interleague play and free agency, the line between AL and NL has blurred a bit. I think I read somewhere today that the AL actually had more stolen bases than the NL this year...

I suppose it's more of a personal preference thing.... I prefer the NL - been rooting against the AL and those dastardly Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, etc. ever since I can remember.... I was an NL guy when I was a wee lad (liked the Pirates and Giants) and before my family moved to Houston in 1963. When we landed in Houston, I immediately adopted the Colt .45's as my favorite team. The Astrodome was just a skeleton (under construction) back then and my parents used to drop me off at old Colt .45 Stadium to watch a game. Somewhere I still have an old game program loaded with autographs of Jimmy Wynn, Joe Morgan, Don Nottebart and many more (and a bunch of the Cardinals, the team they were playing that day). Went to the first exhibition game in the new dome - saw Mickey Mantle hit the first home run in the dome. Saw Mays, McCovey, Aaron pass through.... I disliked the DH when it came out and I dislike aluminum bats (is that next for MLB?).

So, as a fan, I'm comfortable in the NL. Don't like it too much being pushed into the AL... :/
Old 11-19-2011, 10:57 AM
All-Pro

I hate the lack of strategy when you take the pitcher out of the lineup. Having to account for that spot in the lineup colors so many decisions a manager makes and it is that chess match that I find the most attractive.

I used to have MLB Extra Innings at work and could view any game I wanted. I'd find myself watching even Pirates-Nationals instead of Yankees-Red Sox because there's no pleasure in just watching nine weightlifters mash, which is what the AL represents to me.

In the end, I only thought I was an Astros fan. In reality, I was a traditional baseball fan and any DH league is not traditional baseball.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 AM
All-Pro

I suppose I'm with PK on this. I think you can play good baseball whether pitcher hits or not.

And I love baseball, its in the blood as my grandad was a pitcher who could hit in the old Texas League and played against guys like Dizzy Dean.

Watched Astros first year they moved into Astrodome
Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I suspect there are a lot more fans like you than there are fans like Bob, Arky and me.
Count me in. I'm totally pissed. And I also agree with you on Drayton being a piece of shit.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 AM
All-Pro

Well, Astro's in news today as the owner announced a few upcoming changes, some good, one perhaps controversial, time will tell.

Good, and I like this, you can now bring in food and one liter water per person, in a clear bag.

Another good one is lowering top level seats from $7 to $5 for adults and $1 for kids under 14 is what I think I heard.

And the one getting some discussion is considering name change when to to AL. We had other names before like Colt-45s, but I like the Astro name.