IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You should be talking to Coach Bush rather than Coach Payton.
Yep, definitely the defense should have stepped up. I'm just questioning practicing throat stomping in a pre-season game... Shades of NCAA run-'em-up coaches...
Old 08-22-2010, 12:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
I didn't really like that either, isn't that cheating in a preseason game?

No excuses for looking that bad though, but Texans seemed to be trying to evaluate different combinations of players and plays while Saints seemed to be interested in showing they could win tonight. Looked like Saints actually game planned for a practice game. And Chase Daniels looked really good tonight.

Actually, Orlovsky looked much better tonight than previously, maybe he'll be ok as backup now.

Troy Nolan looked good again towards end of game.
I still feel the same way I did last week. This offense cannot be run without a QB who can move. The QB doesn't need to be fast or able to run, but our offense is filled with bootlegs, outside zone plays, screen plays where the QB needs to retreat, and a generally moving pocket.

And Dan Orlovsky had at least 5 physical stumbles tonight where he tripped over his own feet (and two where he mishandled it in his hands while ball handling). When he is out there our Play action is useless and the whole offense loses all sense of misdirection. It becomes either drop straight back and throw, or run it inside.

Who in the pro scouting department decided that a good throwing arm qualified this guy to direct this offense?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Pro Bowler

When you get your ass kicked like that...it was because you were legitimately confused...Sean Payton won this game. He went to practice all week, sized up our team, and exposed our weaknesses.

1. Just about every run play was some kind of misdirection play. Yes our defense was swarming to ball...however, the ball was going the other way before they realized...GOOD COACHING
1a. There were too many plays where two or three of their Olineman were in the second level putting hats on our LBs and Safties.

One play particularly, ASmith was 10 yards in their backfield before he realized the play was a draw right up the middle and the running back was at least 5-8 yards passed the LOS.

2. Every time we brought CBarwin in the game they exposed his overeagerness...hence the long dumpoff/screen for a touchdown.

3. Wade Smith was blown up by Sedrick Ellis on a number of run of handoffs. As a matter of fact their "D" wasnt falling for that cutback either. They just went straight over our Oline.

I really hope for our sake that Kubiak was experimenting out there rather than really showing his hand. But who really wants to take that kind of ass kicking? Even if it is preseason...
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Pro Bowler

BTW...We finally got on the front of NFL.COM...However not in the way we would've liked...

Brees diving over our pile for a TD.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
"Overreaction Theater: Foster will be benched Posted:

Texans RB Arian Foster will be benched for the entire season!

At least that is the snap judgement in this edition of Overreaction Theater.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak does not like fumblers. Not that other coaches are overjoyed when a player fumbles, but nobody seems to have a quicker hook than Kubiak, who changes running backs the same way that the late George Steinbrenner changed managers during the 1970s and 1980s.

Foster was having a pretty good night prior to fumbling, but you wonder if Kubiak will start bouncing his running backs again like he’s playing racquetball."
FUNNY AS HELL!!!This is how the league views the Texans...
Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quarterback Matt Schaub

(on his reaction to the loss) "I don't think we have to panic. We still have two more preseason games to go and I feel we will be ready for the beginning of the season. I know a lot of us here in the locker room feel we could have had more intensity, but I'm not worried. We had a great week of practice. Now all we have to do is make sure we are ready once the real game begins."
This sums up why we lost...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:24 AM
All-Pro

Until last night I didn't know Reggie Bush could run inside the tackles on an NFL defense, but the Texans starting D made him look like Bronko Nagurski ? And they made Chase Daniel look like Jon Elway.
And this year we get to play a bunch of teams that have Saints-level talent instead of the Rams, Seahawks, etc in last years schedule. So how many of you fell off of the 2010 Ten-wins Texans' playoff-bandwagon after their Saturday adeventures in NOLA ?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Regular Starter

Frankly, with the tougher schedule, I was never predicting ten.

About last night, the Saints are a very solid team, better than the Texans, but I honestly think the Saints watched us all week and game-planned to take advantage of our weaknesses, while we went out and ran a basic offense and defense just to evaluate our personnel. If that's true, then they were doing us a big favor.

I'm thinking Barwin should not be in the game in running situations and don't expect him to be during the regular season.

Slaton looks like a considerable upgrade over Davis at Kick Returner.

Orlovsky has a LOT of rough edges. I'm wondering whether he will ever smooth them out.

Our running game looks a bit better than last year's. I love the feel Foster seems to have for the cutback.

Our defensive backfield seems more solid than last year's.

I'm still very skeptical of our pass russ. After two games, looks about the same as last year's.

I was glad to see Graham make a few plays. He looked pretty good.

If Kubiak gets fired after this year, I hope we draft some o-linemen in the first three rounds, because there's no way our Centers and Guards can play anthing but zone blocking, and zone is the first thing the new head coach will dump. If Kubiak stays, he should dump it too but I doubt he will.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Yep, definitely the defense should have stepped up. I'm just questioning practicing throat stomping in a pre-season game... Shades of NCAA run-'em-up coaches...
One thing coaches like to do in the pre-season is get things on film that they want the rest of the league to see and fret about. If they had three different fourth down plays, opposing coaches are now going to have to prep for all three plays whereas if they only saw one, the coach might assume that one was their go-to play on fourth down. Personally, I'd show them three plays I *won't* use during the season but now have to make my opponents game plan against.

There are two types of trick plays - the ones you work on for the rest of the league to see and the ones you want to spring as a total surprise (like the "Music City Miracle"). Personally, I think the Texans need a total new set of trick plays because they haven't run a good one since, well, ever.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Pro Bowler

I definitely have to agree with BTL. If we play the rest of the schedule the way we played NOLA Sat. nt., we are in deep kimshee. Blocking and tackling, Kubiak - that is still the name of the game in the NFL.

Last edited by NBT; 08-22-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Regular Starter

We shouldn't panic unless we start the season 1-2... which is very possible.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
One thing coaches like to do in the pre-season is get things on film that they want the rest of the league to see and fret about. If they had three different fourth down plays, opposing coaches are now going to have to prep for all three plays whereas if they only saw one, the coach might assume that one was their go-to play on fourth down. Personally, I'd show them three plays I *won't* use during the season but now have to make my opponents game plan against.

There are two types of trick plays - the ones you work on for the rest of the league to see and the ones you want to spring as a total surprise (like the "Music City Miracle"). Personally, I think the Texans need a total new set of trick plays because they haven't run a good one since, well, ever.
Bob I've got to agree with you on your theory about why the Texans did what they did last night. I think Kubiak had a plan to trick his opponents into being overconfidant when they play the Texans, and I think he executed his plan very well last night.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
So how many of you fell off of the 2010 Ten-wins Texans' playoff-bandwagon after their Saturday adeventures in NOLA ?
It's been almost a year (last year's Jet's opener) since the Texans really got pwned in a game. Let's let the preseason play out and then someone can start a "prediction" thread. Right now, I'm still leaning for 9-10 wins....
Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

It's preseason. We talkin bout preseason, man. I mean, how silly is that? What are we talkin about? Preseason.

Texans had a 2-game road trip. For the guys that matter, they essentially went 1-1. With these guys, I'll take a 4-4 road record this year. The Saints were at home for the first time since winning a Super Bowl. Think about that... New Orleans. How would you expect the stadium in Houston to be for fans and players in their first game at home after winning a Super Bowl? A little amped up, right?

I thought last year's Texans home record was a bit of a fluke... they typically play better at home, so let's see how they come out against Dallas.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It's preseason. We talkin bout preseason, man. I mean, how silly is that? What are we talkin about? Preseason.

Texans had a 2-game road trip. For the guys that matter, they essentially went 1-1. With these guys, I'll take a 4-4 road record this year. The Saints were at home for the first time since winning a Super Bowl. Think about that... New Orleans. How would you expect the stadium in Houston to be for fans and players in their first game at home after winning a Super Bowl? A little amped up, right?

I thought last year's Texans home record was a bit of a fluke... they typically play better at home, so let's see how they come out against Dallas.
I could care less who wins a preseason game. Makes no difference to me if we finish 0-4 or 4-0 in the preseason. But I do care how our our starters perform in preseason games, and that's the problem with last night. Very disappointing.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Pro Bowler

If we are talking about "intensity" here, we have started out the season pretty much all through the Kubiak era with a decided lack of intensity. Maybe we need to be more intense in these pre-season games so it will roll over to the real season.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Regular Starter

I was mortified by the lazy effort on Saturday night. It was unenjoyable, which is not good when I'm spending my leisure time watching it.

However, other than Okoye and Cody getting owned by an excellent interior line, I don't feel that the performance is a result of ability... which is somewhat comforting. Also, I was surprised to see Kubiak's attitude during his presser yesterday. Normally, he seems confused and concerned when they get beat. Yesterday he was simply pissed at the players for the poor performance. I am oddly encouraged by that.

We put together our weekly analysis of Kubes' presser. This one has some amusing video that captures his mood, I think: Texans Bull Blog
Old 08-23-2010, 06:46 PM
All-Pro

No excuses for a poor performance all over Saturday night, and particularly defense against the run. Perhaps some was they were trying new combinations of plays and players to get film on. And N.O. did out hustle them in that pactice game. And maybe Hollidays fumble putting them down 14-0 didn't help.

Today team didn't practice, just looked at film, so I guess they did get to hear about mistakes, what was changing, perhaps being simplified, so they get back to what they were doing good the last thirteen games of last year.

Still optimistic we'll be ready for Indy on Sept 12 which is about three weeks from now and a home game, and then a good season.

You can learn from a bad experience and I think this team will learn and be better for it.

And it would be appropriate if Kubiak applied some of that speech from the "Bull Durham 'In the Shower' Scene".

Well, I guess we should be looking for the new expanded offense playbook, for in the red zone. We were up to 2 of 3 end zone successes .

Last edited by Nconroe; 08-23-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
And it would be appropriate if Kubiak applied some of that speech from the "Bull Durham 'In the Shower' Scene"..
Very NICE reference.

While their effort was lacking, it is hard for me to get in full panic mode as a result of a preseason game. All teams lay and egg every now and then. Hoepfully, this was our egg for the year.

I STILL BELIEVE! and will continue to believe until they prove me otherwise.

Anyone see San Fran cram it down MN's throat last night on the first drive......just saying, it happens.