IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
All-Pro

Default Cowboys add ANOTHER Roy Williams

CBS Sportsline and ESPN.com are reporting that the Cowboys have acquired WR Roy Williams (former Longhorn) from Detroit for some draft picks in 2009.

Here's the oddly-worded trade found on both sites:

Quote:
The Cowboys will give up a first-round pick in 2009, plus a third- and sixth-rounder that year for Williams and a seventh-round pick in '09.
Umm, so that's a first round pick in 2009, a third round pick in 2009, a sixth round pick in 2009 and also a seventh-rounder in 2009. If there's not a typo in there, why couldn't they just say:

"The Cowboys will give up a 2009 pick to Detroit in the first, third, sixth and seventh rounds."? Why such tortured wording?

Then the reader comments sound like they gave up a first and a second.

But, beyond this, the trade makes little sense to me. WR is already a position of strength. Why mortgage next year's draft for this, particularly when the Cowboys are now hurting at DB, QB and P after injuries and suspensions.

See what the Lions can accomplish once you get Matt Millen out of the way? It looks like they just Babined the 'Boys with Jerrah playing the role of Charlie Casserly. Good job, Kitties!

The next question will be how the Dallas uniform guys will differentiate Roy Williams from Roy Williams.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
CBS Sportsline and ESPN.com are reporting that the Cowboys have acquired WR Roy Williams (former Longhorn) from Detroit for some draft picks in 2009.

Umm, so that's a first round pick in 2009, a third round pick in 2009, a sixth round pick in 2009 and also a seventh-rounder in 2009. If there's not a typo in there, why couldn't they just say:

"The Cowboys will give up a 2009 pick to Detroit in the first, third, sixth and seventh rounds."? Why such tortured wording?

I read that as:
Lions Get: 2009 1st, 2009 3rd and 2009 6th

Cowgirls Get: Roy Williams, 2009 7th
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post

But, beyond this, the trade makes little sense to me. WR is already a position of strength. Why mortgage next year's draft for this, particularly when the Cowboys are now hurting at DB, QB and P after injuries and suspensions.

See what the Lions can accomplish once you get Matt Millen out of the way? It looks like they just Babined the 'Boys with Jerrah playing the role of Charlie Casserly. Good job, Kitties!

The next question will be how the Dallas uniform guys will differentiate Roy Williams from Roy Williams.
Panic move from the Boys. They were hit this weekend by a bad loss, a number of injuries, and a suspension and feared the season is slipping away.

I think that they missed their chance last year. Wade Phillips' nice guy, do what you want style played well fresh after Bill Parcells. But the further removed they are from the pre-existing discipline of the Parcells era, the further Phillips will let this team slide.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Regular Starter

I think this is a terrible move by the Cowboys...They need a compliment to T.O., and Roy is a great WR....but he was complaining about his catches in Detroit. How's that going to work when T.O. was whining after having 18 balls thrown his way? Just one more thing that's bound to implode on the Dallas roster.

I feel terrible for Wade Phillips because I think he's a good coach. He's also a great guy. You can't blame him for wanting to Coach the Cowboys in his home state especially when they have so much talent....but Jerry Jones has been setting him up to fail from the beginning. Everyone on the roster knows that Wade is just keeping the chair warm for Jerry's pet coach, Garret. How's any coach supposed to have control in that situation.

Jerry's a great business man, but he needs to get out of the way of his football people. I know he's trying to win it all, but he just gave up a big chunk of his draft for a WR who's probably only going to increase the amount of whining from T.O. and not fix their other problems.

I fully expect Jerry Jones to fill the crazy void whenever Al Davis croaks. He's already getting that crypt-keeper look....if not a more well dressed version. He's convinced himself that he knows more about football than anyone on his staff. He's probably already cost himself at least one superbowl by not getting out of his own way, and as he gets older and crazier I'll be there to watch it all with a big smile on my face.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Regular Starter

Good thing they didn't need to trade for a CB or something.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Regular Starter

wow....i don't really think they needed that calibre of WR especially when they've got witten at TE. seems like a lot to give up but i can't wait until TO turns the cowboys into a mess. or jerry jones. or pacman.

speaking of which, isn't it time to let that clown go?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
wow....i don't really think they needed that calibre of WR especially when they've got witten at TE. seems like a lot to give up but i can't wait until TO turns the cowboys into a mess. or jerry jones. or pacman.

speaking of which, isn't it time to let that clown go?
I think JJ is warming up to that idea. On NFLN they said he had dropped the 4 man security team that was around Pac-stupid. That would seem to indicate that he is now saying "Your on your own dipstick". If they chuck him out the door, they get back those picks from the Titanics and that would probably be seen as more valuable than he is.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Regular Starter

That seems like alot to give up for Roy W. Nobody is going to be happy with how many balls they are getting. I wonder if they will worry about throwing the ball so much, that they forget that Marion Barber is such a beast.

Plus Romo is out and ragarm Johnson is in. Not to mention how long it will take a WR to learn the offense.

This has meltdown written all over it, and it could not happen to a better person that ole "Plastic face" Jerry.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I think JJ is warming up to that idea. On NFLN they said he had dropped the 4 man security team that was around Pac-stupid. That would seem to indicate that he is now saying "Your on your own dipstick". If they chuck him out the door, they get back those picks from the Titanics and that would probably be seen as more valuable than he is.
of course they dropped the security team, they caused the problem!!!

....wait....

i'm going to stick my neck out and say if it continues "pacman" will be playing in the C(apcom)FL very soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
That seems like alot to give up for Roy W. Nobody is going to be happy with how many balls they are getting.

I wonder if they will worry about throwing the ball so much, that they forget that Marion Barber is such a beast.

Plus Romo is out and ragarm Johnson is in. Not to mention how long it will take a WR to learn the offense.

This has meltdown written all over it, and it could not happen to a better person that ole "Plastic face" Jerry.
hey, i think there is a limit on how many good points you can make in a post. it's like 4 or something but especially good on barber. isn't that how they lost a game earlier? passing too much and letting their bulldozer from hell run it only like 7 or 8 times?

too bad he'll waste in that circus up north.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Pro Bowler

With all of the receivers the Cowboys have now, they are going to put up some numbers. No wait! Their QB is out with a pinkie problem.

But seriously, Roy Williams was a steal for the price, and he is now playing for the team he has loved all his life.