IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Depth

Default What separates Earl Thomas from FS Reggie Nelson?

I'm looking at the guys' prospect profiles, and some college highlight tape. They seem to be regarded in the same way as a FS/CB due to size concerns, but both have pulled the typical "the next Ed Reed" comparison. Now Reggie Nelson slipped to the Jaguars at pick #21, but has to be considered a bust at this point.

Now I know we don't want to write off all undersized safeties due to one bust, but after watching some of Thomas's suspect tackling in a highlight/lowlight video I'm wondering how he compares.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:54 PM
All-Pro

If they can cover but aren't good tacklers, you put them at corner. If they can tackle but don't cover well, you put them at safety. If they can't do either, well, then you have Matt Stevens.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM
All-Pro

Gee, I wonder why Reggie Nelson isn't playing CB for the Jags?

Earl Thomas may be a poor tackler, but if he collect 10 INTs and we have Pollard on the field, he may not have to be a great tackler. In fact, if it keeps him healthy, I might prefer he not throw himself around like Troy P. and Bob Sanders. I think both of those guys are great, but have cost their teams in terms of not making good 'business decisions' and getting hurt.

I would disagree with Mayock that Thomas is the better FS in this draft over Eric Berry, but in terms of making sure we don't get beat deep on passes over the CB's head, Thomas would make an impact. I suppose you could call him the new "Cover Safety" that teams need in a pass-happy league.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Gee, I wonder why Reggie Nelson isn't playing CB for the Jags?

Earl Thomas may be a poor tackler, but if he collect 10 INTs and we have Pollard on the field, he may not have to be a great tackler. In fact, if it keeps him healthy, I might prefer he not throw himself around like Troy P. and Bob Sanders. I think both of those guys are great, but have cost their teams in terms of not making good 'business decisions' and getting hurt.

I would disagree with Mayock that Thomas is the better FS in this draft over Eric Berry, but in terms of making sure we don't get beat deep on passes over the CB's head, Thomas would make an impact. I suppose you could call him the new "Cover Safety" that teams need in a pass-happy league.
Why not just take the bigger faster Mays?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Why not just take the bigger faster Mays?
Mays doesn't react fast enough or anticipate like Earl Thomas does. I worry that Mays allows the Reggie Waynes and Kenny Britts of the division get behind him when he bites on play-action. I just want my FS to stay deeper than the deepest and make INT's that stop drives. If Mays had 6 INTs in a season instead of a career, then I'd be able to swallow that idea better.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Mays doesn't react fast enough or anticipate like Earl Thomas does. I worry that Mays allows the Reggie Waynes and Kenny Britts of the division get behind him when he bites on play-action. I just want my FS to stay deeper than the deepest and make INT's that stop drives. If Mays had 6 INTs in a season instead of a career, then I'd be able to swallow that idea better.
I agree, I'm just not as in love with Thomas as some. I like the kid, but I am not sure he is the savoir some are making him to be. On another board one poster was trying to say he was the best FS to come out in years, Taylor and Landry are hard to top. Thomas does not have optimum size and that concerns me.

Now if Ray Rhodes tag the kid, I am all aboard.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Taylor and Landry are hard to top. Thomas does not have optimum size and that concerns me.
Looking at Sean Taylor's first 3 years in the league, when he played full seasons these are his averages....

86 Tackles, .6 Sacks, 8 Passes Defended, 2.3 Interceptions & 2.3 Forced Fumbles.

We all know that stats are not the whole story, but those numbers aren't exactly unimaginable.

Brian Dawkins had 116 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 11 PD, 2 INTs, & 1 FF.

Jordan Babineaux had 104 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 6 PD, 2 INTs & 1 FF.