IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2019, 10:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Brady hits White for an 11-yard TD pass.

Pats going for two.....

Two point try is no good....

Texans 28, Pats 15

3:42 left in the game.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Brady hits Edelman for a 20-yard TD.

Texans 28, Pats 22

50 seconds left in the game.

Onsides kick on the way.....
Old 12-01-2019, 10:33 PM
All-Pro

Can the Texans hold on for another 50 seconds?
Old 12-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Nervy onside kick goes out of bounds. Texans ball.

Texans kneel it.

Final score:

Texans 28, Pats 22

Whew, just had to make it exciting at the end there....
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 PM
All-Pro

Congrats, Texans. Never thought you could take 2-of-3 through the Indy, Baltimore,New England gauntlet.

Now it's Denver, Tennessee twice and Tampa Bay.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:46 PM
All-Pro

I can now tell my kid to tell my grandkids that I once saw the Texans give the Patriots a beat down on national television. What a world.

These Titans games were obviously looked at as sort of afterthoughts not all that long ago, but they are now critical. I like that the games are concentrated - the team that plays better when it counts will win the division.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
These Titans games were obviously looked at as sort of afterthoughts not all that long ago, but they are now critical. I like that the games are concentrated - the team that plays better when it counts will win the division.
We would probably have to lose both Titans games to lose the tiebreaker to Tennessee within the division.

BTW, Chuck, I'll be in PC on the 10th, 11th and 12th.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:09 PM
All-Pro

In a confidence pool this week I just said screw it and put max confidence on the Texans. Good week to be a homer.

And what did Josh Gordon do behind closed doors to get run out of NE. Without him they are worthless on the outside and have nobody on the roster who can threaten 20 yards downfield. They are going to have to win every playoff game 17-9. They might finally be done.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Such an oddly wonderful game. The Patriots, offensively, are a limited team without Gronkowski and without a meaningful WR aside from Edelman. Crennel finally adjusted his scheme to minimize Brady's outlets to the RBs. With Gronk around, Brady had that other premium outlet. Now, the defense can double Edelman, and Brady is left screaming at his other inferior receivers to be something they're incapable of being. How different this season might have been for the Patriots had either someone like Antonio Brown or Josh Gordon been able to stick around.

Defensively, the Patriots are very good. So it was very satisfying to see Watson maneuver the offense against them. Seems like a long time coming this season, but he and the Texans utilized Duke Johnson quite appropriately. I also think, until that deep TD pass that was ultimately dropped by Fuller, the Texans could have used Fuller and Stills to pressure the Pats D deep more often and stretch them vertically. Having Fuller (not to mention Stills) healthy alongside Hopkins makes this such a difficult offense to defend once Watson quits holding the ball too long. The Texans OL did not have a very good game today, but everything else worked regardless because of these things.

Defensively, the piecemeal secondary shined. It helps to look better when facing this subpar Pats WR corps, but the Texans have accumulated some intriguing parts which even tonight still haven't really been together very long or altogether healthy. But my fancy has been captured.

And while the front seven is still a bit soft in the middle against a better running offense, that they have found a useful cog from the Clowney trade in Jacob Martin is encouraging. Martin was just a 6th round pick a year ago. He has some pass rushing ability with more upside to go. All of the Texans LBs have their individual weaknesses, but the unit is stronger as a whole.

Paired with news that Watt may be recovering quickly enough for a playoff return, the defense may be improving at just the right time. The season could still be shaping up for road game in January at either New England or a rematch in Baltimore, but a team led by Watson with a solidifying defense may have a chance at a surprise.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:24 AM
All-Pro

Now that we've beaten the Patriots, how long before the Boston media screams that we've figured out a way to illegally steal their signs? That seems to be all the rage now.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Such an oddly wonderful game. The Patriots, offensively, are a limited team without Gronkowski and without a meaningful WR aside from Edelman. Crennel finally adjusted his scheme to minimize Brady's outlets to the RBs. With Gronk around, Brady had that other premium outlet. Now, the defense can double Edelman, and Brady is left screaming at his other inferior receivers to be something they're incapable of being. How different this season might have been for the Patriots had either someone like Antonio Brown or Josh Gordon been able to stick around.

Defensively, the Patriots are very good. So it was very satisfying to see Watson maneuver the offense against them. Seems like a long time coming this season, but he and the Texans utilized Duke Johnson quite appropriately. I also think, until that deep TD pass that was ultimately dropped by Fuller, the Texans could have used Fuller and Stills to pressure the Pats D deep more often and stretch them vertically. Having Fuller (not to mention Stills) healthy alongside Hopkins makes this such a difficult offense to defend once Watson quits holding the ball too long. The Texans OL did not have a very good game today, but everything else worked regardless because of these things.

Defensively, the piecemeal secondary shined. It helps to look better when facing this subpar Pats WR corps, but the Texans have accumulated some intriguing parts which even tonight still haven't really been together very long or altogether healthy. But my fancy has been captured.

And while the front seven is still a bit soft in the middle against a better running offense, that they have found a useful cog from the Clowney trade in Jacob Martin is encouraging. Martin was just a 6th round pick a year ago. He has some pass rushing ability with more upside to go. All of the Texans LBs have their individual weaknesses, but the unit is stronger as a whole.

Paired with news that Watt may be recovering quickly enough for a playoff return, the defense may be improving at just the right time. The season could still be shaping up for road game in January at either New England or a rematch in Baltimore, but a team led by Watson with a solidifying defense may have a chance at a surprise.
Fuller makes all the difference. If he could catch he'd be the best WR in the league. Nobody can cover the guy. He just lines up and runs past the entire NFL. When you pair him with the best deep ball in the league it legitimately frightens the defense and opens up everything underneath.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 AM
All-Pro

Beating the Pats was really sweet and a long-time in coming for the O'Brien regime.
Saw where Watson presented the coach with the game-ball in the locker room last night in an emotional moment.
There was even redemption for GM O'Brien last night from the play of edge rusher Jacob Martin for the perplexing and ill advised trade of JDC to Seattle.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Hall of Fame

If you look at the stats, it looks like a Patriot romp. Texans made the most of it when they had the ball... My blood pressure didn't need those last couple of Patriot drives when the defense was probably getting a little exhausted and the Patriots were piling up the yardage.....

------------------------------------------------

No turnovers from the Texans. Obviously, that's exactly the way to beat good teams. The Patriots had one big INT and though it happened early, it was huge. It set the Texans up for their first TD - a momentum changer....

One thing I really liked seeing was Watson with the tablet holding court on the sidelines with the receivers. Showed to me that they don't really need "coaching" to work out how to get the job done.....

Jacob Martin seems to be emerging... similar to Zach Cunningham in build (Cunningham is 1" taller). Lanky LB type. 23 years old, just his 2nd year via Temple and Seattle from the Clowney trade. 2½ sacks on the year. As mentioned by Keith, lots of upside here.

Texans opened as 7 pt. favorites against the Broncos next Sunday. It's already up to 10. Seems a tad high to me. That's the NFL for ya - it only takes a week or two to go from pathetic to overrated.... I would love to see them cover the 10 pts, gain more confidence, keep rolling.....

Last edited by Arky; 12-02-2019 at 11:24 AM.