IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Default TE Anthony Hill Signed

Quote:
Hill, a Houston native who played at North Carolina State, signed a four-year deal worth $2,206,500. He was the team's second fourth-round draft choice in April and the third draft pick to sign. Hill follows cornerback Brice McCain and safety Troy Nolan.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6484593.html

Using my math skillz, the base salaries should come to a total of $1.75 million, meaning the signing bonus is $456,500.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Pro Bowler

I think Hill makes the team as the 3rd TE, and Casey spends a year on the taxi squad to better learn and refine all the things the Texans will be asking him to do. Dreesen will need to elevate his game to another level, and Owen Daniels needs to come on in and get some reps.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Veteran Depth

is there any protection at all for taxi squad guys, as far as losing them to other teams goes? I realize he was a 5th round pick, and was therefore passed over a minimum of 4 times by every team, but the kid has talent. I'd hate to lose him because we couldn't figure a roster spot for him. I know they can only be signed away if they're put on the active roster, but is there anything as far as first refusal or anything like that we can do?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Regular Starter

you have to cut them before they can go on the practice squad. I think there's a 24 hour period where they have to clear waivers or something ...can't remember for sure though
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Regular Starter

They are not going to cut him, he will be the back up FB behind Leach.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
you have to cut them before they can go on the practice squad. I think there's a 24 hour period where they have to clear waivers or something ...can't remember for sure though
That's one hurdle they have to pass. The other issue is that, at any time during the season, a team can claim any other team's practice squadder if they sign them to be on their 53-man roster. So I can't imagine Casey won't make our 53.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Veteran Depth

especially given the things the team was saying on draft day about how surprised and elated they were that casey was still around in the 5th, I can't imagine a scenario where they would leave him unprotected. I'd venture that, should there not be sufficient space on the 53 man roster, that Casey suffers a "groin injury" and goes down for the season. Sure wouldn't be the first time we've stashed a guy we liked but didn't have room for on the IR.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
They are not going to cut him, he will be the back up FB behind Leach.
I would hope that you were right. The thing is, Casey will have to prove himself at the FB spot. Not an easy task. There is such a logjam at RB that I think one of them will get the backup FB job. JMHO

Yes, we would have 48 hours to put Casey on our 53 man roster if another team put in a claim. All the other teams have their 53 man rosters plus their own PS to take care of, so there hasn't been much movement in that area for the last couple of years. I think we will be able to stash him, but what do I know.

This is the best team by far, that we have ever fielded. So it will be a really tough job deciding who will make the final roster.