IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Grossman Signing Coming?

From PFT:

Grossman To The Texans?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 11, 2009, 2:09 p.m.
The Houston Texans could soon be adding a new quarterback to a depth chart that became considerably weaker once Sage Rosenfels was traded to the Vikings.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus has announced that Rex Grossman, a first-round pick six years ago who has become largely forgotten during his stint on the free-agent shelf, will visit the Texans on Thursday night.

Rosenhaus said he anticipates that Grossman will sign a one-year deal.

If Rosenhaus is right, the former Bears starter will join Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky, and Alex Brink as the four quarterbacks heading into training camp.

The real question is whether Grossman is merely a camp arm — or whether he has a legitimate shot at making the 53-man roster.

His chief competition likely will be Orlovsky, who signed as a free agent. So the options to serve as the backup to Matt Schaub (who missed five games in each of his two years as a starter) will be a guy who runs out of his own end zone, or a guy who stays in bounds and fires a deep ball that is caught by the other team.

Camp arm, or is Orvlosky not cutting it?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Regular Starter

Orlovsky might not be meeting Kubiaks standards in OTA's, but there have no reports hinting that and I have no way of knowing really. Without being able to see what Kubiak sees on the practice field and in meetings, I think I would rather have Orlovsky in all honesty. I know the endzone thing is all anyone talks about, but it seems like Grossman would be more of a distraction. there's not anything wrong with Schaub being pushed...I just don't see Grossman as being that much of an upgrade over Orlovsky, but being less willing to take a back seat role and stay out of the limelight. Who knows...maybe Kubiak is toying with the idea of carrying three QB's again. Brink is likely the practice squad guy either way.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
All-Pro

Supposedly yesterday or the day before, not exactly sure, Cushing had two knocked downs and an INT. We have been hearing about INTs and knock downs on a daily basis. Good for the defense!

Or was it?

I had wondered to myself, was this really an upgrade of the defense or was there a hidden QB issue. Well now we know, it was one of the QBs, which one is kinda unclear, but judging from the signing, it would appear that Orlovsky is an issue.

One thing is for certain, Kubiak is not going to tell us what the real issue is.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:19 PM
All-Pro

Another option: Kubiak is quoted today on the official site
Quote:
(on if next week’s mini-camp will be different from OTAs) “I made a decision in the last couple of days. There are about 30 veteran players that are going to be here working out with (head strength and conditioning coach) Ray (Wright) and not practice. I’m going to practice all the young players. We are going to go back and start over from Day 1 when we came out here and really catch these young men up – catch (Connor) Barwin up; catch (Jeremiah) Johnson up. All the players will be here, but only certain guys will be on the field.”

(on what the veteran players will be doing during OTAs) “They are going to get to work out with Ray, and I’m going to get them out of these young guys’ hair. We’re going to get them more teaching and more classroom time.”
I would think Schaub would be one of the veterans working with Ray Wright. If that is true they will need a camp arm, and Grossman is only signing a one year deal for the vet minimum, that says camp arm. And not a bad camp arm at that.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator

That there were only 3 QBs on the roster heading into OTAs was something that caught my attention over a month ago. So if I had to guess, I would say that this probably says NOTHING about the performance of Orlovsky. If anything, I think maybe it says something about Brink, but again, it is probably just a reflection of just needing a 4th arm in camp.

Also, having missed most of the OTAs, Grossman is going to have to play some catch-up to have any shot at #2, which imo isn't going to happen. While Grossman seems unlikely for the final 53, it might be nice to have him as a vet option should the team suffer QB injuries mid-season and need to make a phone call, esp. if Brink isn't the answer.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So if I had to guess, I would say that this probably says NOTHING about the performance of Orlovsky. If anything, I think maybe it says something about Brink, but again, it is probably just a reflection of just needing a 4th arm in camp.
I hope you're right, because I'm thinking most of us figured we were set at QB after the pick-up of Dan-O this past winter ? As far as Brink goes, that's of minor concern.
Wasn't Grossman the starting QB for the Bears in their SB game against Indy just a couple years ago ? How fast fortunes change.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
All-Pro

From little I recall, Rex had some good games and some bad games. He for sure can help with practice and who knows, might have a shot at being a backup, especially if we do keep 3 QB on 53 man roster. I am good with the pickup.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Drafted Rookie

I was just watching NFL Live on ESPN and they confirmed that he did sign a one year contract for 620K with the Texans. I'd be very surprised if he actually sees any playing time this year.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwasher View Post
I was just watching NFL Live on ESPN and they confirmed that he did sign a one year contract for 620K with the Texans. I'd be very surprised if he actually sees any playing time this year.
Well, if Orlovsky doesn't cut it and Schaub gets his usual random injury to knock him out a couple weeks, then he very well could.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Regular Starter

I think the only person who should be worried is Brink. Dan-O just got like a three year deal didn't he? I'm sure the Texans wouldn't have a major problem cutting him if Grossman is clearly better. I just think with Grossman you know what you are going to get. A QB who is too inaccurate for my taste, likes to sling it downfield, and throws too many interceptions. He's got 30something starts, so while he can be improved he's not likely to make a dramatic jump at this point in his career.

Dan-O still has room to grow, and I think we're better off long term if he wins this job. Honestly if the sex cannon wasn't a former first rounder who did a reality TV show I don't think anyone would even blink about this signing.

Here's something to think about...David Carr has a higher career QB rating, and despite Grosman's image as a QB who loves to go deep, Rex's average yards per attempt are the exact same as the David Carr. The same David Carr who spent entire seasons doing nothing but throwing swing passes to the flat.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Drafted Rookie

No way Grossman stays. He is way too inconsistant to trust as a backup.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
All-Pro

Well it official and he is now signed.

Grossman seems humbled, and glad to be given the chance to be on a team. It appears he is being brought in to be part of QB depth. He is not coming across as a prima donna.

I for one am glad we appear to be looking at carrying 3 veteran QBs.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Veteran Depth

John McClain said yesterday that the Grossman signing is depth and depth alone, that the team is actually quite happy with dan-O, and that since Alex Brink still has practice squad eligibility, they're in no hurry to rush him along, especially because he isn't ready.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:34 PM
All-Pro

I still think that carrying 3 QBs is a good idea, but remember when we signed Quinn Gray only to part ways with him?

If nothing else, having an extra arm to throw to our D-backs is a good thing for training camp. Perhaps Glover Quinn and Troy Nolan can get some more picks at practice.