IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 03-10-2018, 12:52 PM
All-Pro

Default 2018 Free Agency

With Fiedorowicz mulling retirement due to concussions, don't be surprised if the Texans shop hard for one once the free agency period begins March 14.

Apparently, DHop is already on top of it, recruiting the top-scoring TE in the NFL last year, including photo-shopping a picture of him in a Texans uniform to tweet to the All-Pro.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...ee-wild-cards/

The move would actually make a lot of sense if the price is right. Graham would take pressure off Hopkins and give secondaries someone else they'll have to double-team. Deshaun Watson needs a veteran TE who can bail him out when the line breaks down every other play.

There are some other FA tight ends on the list who could be a nice addition too but none like Graham who caught 10 red zone TDs last year with the Seachickens.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Hall of Fame

I see Tyler Eifert is also available. Either one (Graham, Eifert) would be OK, I'd say. They're both a little concerning about injury but one of them, along with Griffin and Anderson could work....
Old 03-13-2018, 04:43 PM
All-Pro

Graham is signing with the Packers.

In other news we are signing a CB, Colvin from the Jags. So to recap our last 12 months at CB, we let our best CB walk to JAX, we are awful all year in the secondary, and then we spend FA money to sign a guy who couldn't start because Bouye pushed him out of the lineup. At least our new GM is operating from the Rick Smith playbook where you try to admit your giant mistakes as fast as possible and then buy your way out of them by spending more assets.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Colvin is 4 years, $34 million, with $18 million guaranteed. Doesn't make up for A.J. Bouye, but a nice add... and it takes away from a division rival.

Texans are adding some OL... expected to sign Chiefs G Zach Fulton and Bills T Seantrel Henderson.

I've still got PTSD from the last time the Texans signed a guard away from the Chiefs, but Fulton would be a legit upgrade. Henderson struggled with Crohn's, but the potential is there.

And reports are that the team is still pursing T Nate Solder.

OL was clearly the team's biggest need, and the Texans seem determined to upgrade. PFF noted that Deshaun Watson was the top rated passer with a clean pocket, so addressing 60% of the OL is a start.

In other FA news, the Texans re-signed P Shane Lechler to another year. I'd say Lechler's 2017 was better than his 2016.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Colvin is 4 years, $34 million, with $18 million guaranteed. Doesn't make up for A.J. Bouye, but a nice add... and it takes away from a division rival.

Texans are adding some OL... expected to sign Chiefs G Zach Fulton and Bills T Seantrel Henderson.

I've still got PTSD from the last time the Texans signed a guard away from the Chiefs, but Fulton would be a legit upgrade. Henderson struggled with Crohn's, but the potential is there.

And reports are that the team is still pursing T Nate Solder.

OL was clearly the team's biggest need, and the Texans seem determined to upgrade. PFF noted that Deshaun Watson was the top rated passer with a clean pocket, so addressing 60% of the OL is a start.

In other FA news, the Texans re-signed P Shane Lechler to another year. I'd say Lechler's 2017 was better than his 2016.
I'm not against signing Colvin any more than I was against paying a price to dump Osweiller. Both were good moves. But it's a problem when the best moves you make are paying premiums to fix recent screwups.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 AM
All-Pro

Signing Solder might blow up our cap space but it will probably make Watson feel better. Patriots are losing several key players which makes me wonder if last year's Super Bowl run is the end of the era.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
But it's a problem when the best moves you make are paying premiums to fix recent screwups.
True, true. But now at least we can all blame the guy who's not around any more.

Solder to the Giants, 4-yr $62M, $35M guaranteed.

I have no issue paying the right LT that kind of money, but I am not sure Solder is that guy. Tough for the Texans front office to let their best option go somewhere else especially in a year when they have the cap space, but overpaying players is the best way to piss away the cap space.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Regular Starter

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ee-3-year-deal

Texans sign Kelemete from Saints, most likely as G, but can play any position on the OL.

Nice pickup at a reasonable price.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
True, true. But now at least we can all blame the guy who's not around any more.

Solder to the Giants, 4-yr $62M, $35M guaranteed.

I have no issue paying the right LT that kind of money, but I am not sure Solder is that guy. Tough for the Texans front office to let their best option go somewhere else especially in a year when they have the cap space, but overpaying players is the best way to piss away the cap space.
This is all about leverage as a result of fundamental economic principles which is to say that Solder is the one and only capable and reliable LT in free agency this off-season.
Several teams besides the Giants including the Browns and our Texans really want and need a LT consequently the price in bidding for Solder has risen to this level which is what one would expect for an elite tackle except that Solder is anything but elite but much closer to ordinary.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Administrator

JJo coming back on 2-yr deal.

CJF retiring following multiple concussions. Getting a settlement/contract de-escalator of sorts.

DL Angelo Blackson will return.

Many hopeful that the team will pursue the Honey Badger as Tyrann Mathieu was cut by the Cardinals - why? because of cap reasons (and also because they dumb).
Old 03-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans sign Johnson Bademosi from Pats.

Quote:
The Texans have signed former New England Patriots cornerback and special-teams contributor Johnson Bademosi to a two-year, $6.5 million contract, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Bademosi, 27, is a big corner at 6-foot, 209 pounds.

He recorded 29 tackles last season for the AFC champions, playing in every game and starting three times.
Previously with Cleveland and Detroit - don't know that much about him. Might help special teams, though....
Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Honey badger to sign 1-yr deal with the Texans.

How long before he becomes the best safety in franchise history?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Eheh. Playmaker, too. I wonder why just 1 year....
Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Eheh. Playmaker, too. I wonder why just 1 year....
History of drugs and injuries. When he's healthy, he's All-Pro special. When he's healthy.

Honey Badger is thinking if he can play well for a full season, he can cash in on next year's free agency.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:17 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
If he survives his first regular-season game, he'll already be better than Ed Reed and Matt Stevens.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

The day he signed.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:14 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
The day he signed.
Glover Quinn was pretty darned good.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:54 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Glover Quinn was pretty darned good.
He was pretty darned good for the Lions. The Texans (Rick Smith) did not allow him to become the player as a Texan, he was on the way to becoming.

IMO the biggest knock on Smith as a GM, was letting to many good players walk (look at the OL talent that has left). You can't always be drafting late round gems, and then letting them walk.

So far Gaines has impressed me with his talent eye, I feel he might be a better evaluator then Smith. And if he can keep some more of the home grown talent the Texans will improve.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:22 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
He was pretty darned good for the Lions. The Texans (Rick Smith) did not allow him to become the player as a Texan, he was on the way to becoming.

IMO the biggest knock on Smith as a GM, was letting to many good players walk (look at the OL talent that has left). You can't always be drafting late round gems, and then letting them walk.

So far Gaines has impressed me with his talent eye, I feel he might be a better evaluator then Smith. And if he can keep some more of the home grown talent the Texans will improve.
Pro scouting was always terrible under Smith. He was never bad in the draft and he was excellent in street FAs. But he was awful with resignings, lost FAs, and FAs.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:55 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

We may have drafted the man the could hold that title in the 3rd round.