IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Saffold is #51 and will be a LG in the NFL. Asamoah wouldn't be a "reach" considering who is out there. John Jerry is #83 so, that's right at our 3rd round pick. Does anybody remember the last LT we had that was pretty good? A big body that wasn't a prototype ZBS guy. Spencer, I think?
And the huddlereport has Saffold at 95, Asamoah is 64, Jerry is 82. This years class is ranked all over the map by the internet gurus, so that tells me that a lot of the players are bunched up together.

I like Saffold, but not at 51.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
And the huddlereport has Saffold at 95, Asamoah is 64, Jerry is 82. This years class is ranked all over the map by the internet gurus, so that tells me that a lot of the players are bunched up together.

I like Saffold, but not at 51.
Yeah, I'll be happy with whoever is still there in the 3rd.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah, I'll be happy with whoever is still there in the 3rd.
Now if the Texans want to jump into the early 3rd round and give up next years 2nd, or the 4th round with a 3rd from 2011, I am all for that.

I'd even be ok with doing that in both rounds.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM
All-Pro

1 CB Kyle Wilson
2 RB Ben Tate
3 OG John Jerry
3 DT Geno Atkins
4 NT Linval Joseph
5 LB Jamar Chaney
6 CB Myron Lewis
6 FS Nick Polk
7 PK Aaron Pettrey

Just trying to fill slots with bodies.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
1 CB Kyle Wilson
2 RB Ben Tate
3 OG John Jerry
3 DT Geno Atkins
4 NT Linval Joseph
5 LB Jamar Chaney
6 CB Myron Lewis
6 FS Nick Polk
7 PK Aaron Pettrey

Just trying to fill slots with bodies.
IMO Tate and Hardesty have become overrated. when I watch them run they look like most college RBs. I'm not sold on Tate being a stud as a Pro.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
IMO Tate and Hardesty have become overrated. when I watch them run they look like most college RBs. I'm not sold on Tate being a stud as a Pro.
I have to disagree. Both of these guys have been severely underrated. I would love to get them in the 4th round, I just don't see how that's possible.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Veteran Depth

I don't know how Hardesty could be considered overrated. He had the highest and longest jump of all running backs. That shows explosion, which should turn into very fast 2-3 steps to the hole. He had respectable 10yd, 40yd and shuttle times way ahead of, oh say, Dwyer. He has size 6-0/225. Gained 1345yds on a mediocre Tennessee team, but still in the SEC.
IMO he has some of the best credentials in the draft, especially for the Texans.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRocket View Post
IMO he has some of the best credentials in the draft, especially for the Texans.
Foster and Hardesty on the same team, again. I could go with that.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Pro Bowler

I don't think Foster would be too crazy about it. Hardesty put him on the bench a lot at Tennessee.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't know how Hardesty could be considered overrated. He had the highest and longest jump of all running backs. That shows explosion, which should turn into very fast 2-3 steps to the hole. He had respectable 10yd, 40yd and shuttle times way ahead of, oh say, Dwyer. He has size 6-0/225. Gained 1345yds on a mediocre Tennessee team, but still in the SEC.
And when I watch the games, with his measurable he should dominate, and he did not. He does not jump out on tape. He is a plodder. Only on occasion did he break out. He has been on my watch list all season, but I have him as a 4th round or higher back from watching the games.

I try to use game tapes more than workout numbers.

I think Tate is similar, but these are my opinions, your mileage may vary.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I don't think Foster would be too crazy about it. Hardesty put him on the bench a lot at Tennessee.
I would gladly give him permission to do so again for the Texans.

Painkiller, I wish I could watch film on every player in the draft that I was interested in, but I can't (don't have it). My post was more asking the question of why is he rated so low? Some mocks have us taking Dwyer in the first or second round who was the up back in an option running game, that is odd. I would rather have Hardesty in the 4th.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
And when I watch the games, with his measurable he should dominate, and he did not. He does not jump out on tape. He is a plodder. Only on occasion did he break out. He has been on my watch list all season, but I have him as a 4th round or higher back from watching the games.

I try to use game tapes more than workout numbers.

I think Tate is similar, but these are my opinions, your mileage may vary.
I agree. The play doesn't match the numbers. You take a look at both Tate and Hardesty and compare them to what you see from Johnathan Dwyer and there is a distinct gap between in what, in my opinion, is a couple of mid round talents and a second round talent.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I would gladly give him permission to do so again for the Texans.

Painkiller, I wish I could watch film on every player in the draft that I was interested in, but I can't (don't have it). My post was more asking the question of why is he rated so low? Some mocks have us taking Dwyer in the first or second round who was the up back in an option running game, that is odd. I would rather have Hardesty in the 4th.
Sorry to imply I have tapes of his games, I watched 6 or 7 Tennessee games this year. So I am going off my memories of those games.

Go back to my list and Hardesty, Tate and Dwyer are all on it. But I do not have any ranking or grades on any of my watched players, I juts go by a feel of what round would I take the guy. I use the combine to verify a guy, and when a guy who looks ok in the games blows up the combine, I look to find out if was hurt during the season, or if he might be workout wonder for his big payday.

Hardesty did not look as good in college as Slaton. And I missed on Slaton, so what do I know.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Veteran Depth

Having not seen any Tennessee games or Hardesty for that matter I can't argue with you about why the stats don't match the tape. It just seems that if he can run faster, jump farther and higher, seems to be quicker and is much more explosive hitting the hole then I would have to look at T's scheme and players for an answer also. He might be quick to hit the hole nut if there isn't any or if there is bad play calling then it is hardly his fault. Just not easy for me to see.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Sorry to imply I have tapes of his games, I watched 6 or 7 Tennessee games this year. So I am going off my memories of those games.
I watched Hardesty against Kentucky and Georgia (surprise) and I was very afraid. Kept wishing Crompton would throw instead of giving Montario the ball. We couldn't tackle him. I saw Tate against Alabama and LSU and was impressed by his speed. He looked like a bigger version of Jerrious Norwood (who I love). So, I'll be taking one of these guys in the 3rd at the latest. Just don't think they last until our 4th round pick. Now, neither is really going to remind you of Barry Sanders with shake-n-bake moves. However, they make a cut and get North'South in a hurry. Maybe 2 yards and a cloud of dust, but I don't see many negative plays unless the OL just lets the DL in the backfield as the QB is handing off.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Depth

This may be our answer:

http://draftace.com/profiles/2010/montario_hardesty.htm

I really don't know how much this still affects him. It could be the reason scout are shy, however.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 PM
All-Pro

http://draftace.com/profiles/2010/ryan_mathews.htm

"Has a long history of nagging injuries; a fairly serious concern for a physical running back. Missed time in 2009 with a concussion. Limited experience as a receiver out of the backfield. Hasn't faced much top competition. "

They then turn around and say THIS guy is a 2nd rounder. They are also claiming Dwyer is the only 1st round back. Basically, everyone has their opinion and nobody knows jack. Once a RB gets in a system, then we will see who is who. I often wonder how Emmitt Smith would have faired if he had played for the Lions and if Barry Sanders had played for the Cowboys.

Did Matt Forte and Steve Slaton become horrible last year after being very productive the year before, or was it the OLs that blocked for them?

If we want a "Great Back" we should be looking at C.J. Spiller. The 'problem' is we have Slaton which is basically a 'poor man's Spiller' and that would be redundant. Give me Ben Tate in the 3rd round, please.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If we want a "Great Back" we should be looking at C.J. Spiller. The 'problem' is we have Slaton which is basically a 'poor man's Spiller' and that would be redundant. Give me Ben Tate in the 3rd round, please.
Exactly ! Give the man a can of Keystone Light !