IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Regular Starter

Default Would anyone like to move Robinson to FS??

It seems that might be a good move for him since he's lost a step after his knee surgery. It would be a more natural position for him now.

He struggles to change direction quickly and seems to fall too often now to compensate. He got burned quite a bit this year, but he's solid against the run and has too much valuable experience to not have him on the field.

This would also allow us to not have to use a draft pick this year on a FS, and there's much more talented CB's coming out this year than FS's.

Pollard and Robinson would be formidable, to say the least.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post

This would also allow us to not have to use a draft pick this year on a FS, and there's much more talented CB's coming out this year than FS's.

Pollard and Robinson would be formidable, to say the least.
Could we draft Earl Thomas and play him at CB?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Regular Starter

I don't think he has the size or cover skills to play CB at a high level. He's looks at his best at FS where he can roam and make plays.

I was thinking more along the lines of Warren, Cox, or possibly Wilson.

If we decide to go CB in the mid rounds Walter McFadden or Joshua Moore.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

What about Donovan Warren from Michigan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73Uu3L-jCw

Last edited by Roy P; 01-31-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think he has the size or cover skills to play CB at a high level. He's looks at his best at FS where he can roam and make plays.

I was thinking more along the lines of Warren, Cox, or possibly Wilson.

How can a guy not have the size to play CB but have the size to play FS?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Earl Thomas' biggest downside is his small frame. He's not gonna give a receiver alot of jam or physicality running a route, especially in the NFL. His best position IMO, is a ballhawking FS.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
What about Donovan Warren from Michigan?
I like Warren, but have him as my #4 CB behind Haden, Cox, and Wilson.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Earl Thomas' biggest downside is his small frame. He's not gonna give a receiver alot of jam or physicality running a route, especially in the NFL. His best position IMO, is a ballhawking FS.
I repeat my question. How can a guy be big enough to play FS but too small for CB? Teams definitely look for more size in a FS then in a CB. If he is truly too small for CB then we definitely don't want him at FS.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Pro Bowler

I know the guy's not afraid to hit throw his body around, but it's not like DRob has a big frame (for a CB or FS). I can't imagine Thomas being any smaller than DRob.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
So true.
But this whole subject is surely moot because it's very unlikely Robinson is even with the Texans for the '10 season.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I repeat my question. How can a guy be big enough to play FS but too small for CB?
Maybe you should read his scouting report......

Here's a small sample(from footballfanspot.com):

1/23/10: Undersized and has poor tackling form, but he hits hard and his fundamental tackling issues can be corrected. He’s only 20 years old, but he had 8 picks this year showing his ballhawking abilities as a free safety. He has decent coverage skills too and could be looked at as a cornerback, though he has more value as a safety. His only issue will be at 5-11 190, fighting through the physicality at the line of scrimmage on running plays, and also, as is the case for someone who plays as wildly as he does at a small size, injuries in the future could be a concern.

His speed in the open field is amazing and he has excellent closing speed to finish off ball carrier, denying them that extra yard or two, or to close on the ball while its in the air and get a pick, something he did 8 times this season. He has excellent hands and patrols a zone extremely well, though his ability to cover a guy man to man and predict where a wide receiver is going aren’t very good.

He’s really going to be at a disadvantage if asked to cover a tight end. Some see him as a cornerback, but I don’t see him as much more than a nickelback in the NFL, unless it were in a zone scheme, because his man coverage skills leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited by Blitzwood; 02-01-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Maybe you should read his scouting report......

Here's a small sample(from footballfanspot.com):

1/23/10: Undersized and has poor tackling form, but he hits hard and his fundamental tackling issues can be corrected. He’s only 20 years old, but he had 8 picks this year showing his ballhawking abilities as a free safety. He has decent coverage skills too and could be looked at as a cornerback, though he has more value as a safety. His only issue will be at 5-11 190, fighting through the physicality at the line of scrimmage on running plays, and also, as is the case for someone who plays as wildly as he does at a small size, injuries in the future could be a concern.

His speed in the open field is amazing and he has excellent closing speed to finish off ball carrier, denying them that extra yard or two, or to close on the ball while its in the air and get a pick, something he did 8 times this season. He has excellent hands and patrols a zone extremely well, though his ability to cover a guy man to man and predict where a wide receiver is going aren’t very good.

He’s really going to be at a disadvantage if asked to cover a tight end. Some see him as a cornerback, but I don’t see him as much more than a nickelback in the NFL, unless it were in a zone scheme, because his man coverage skills leave a lot to be desired.
None of that has anything to do with my question.

They say he is undersized for a FS. They say he will have trouble fighting through traffic at the LOS on running plays. They say he will struggle to cover TEs due to size.

None of that has anything to do with playing CB. The only thing about him playing CB is the opinion that he would not be very good at it because he lacks in man coverage. So basically this website says he is small for FS and not good enough in coverage for CB. It says absolutely nothing about him being big enough for FS and too small for CB (in fact it says the exact opposite).

So no matter how many lines you bolded, your earlier statements still make no sense. Because you need more size to play FS then CB.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:

Because you need more size to play FS then CB.

Um.......thanks for clarifying, no.... answering,.... your ongoing, whiny question.

I hope you feel better now...

Now, if you go back to the beginning of this thread, Roy asked me if I thought Earl Thomas could be our CB. I disagreed, saying he's , you guessed it, undersized and doesn't have great cover skills needed to defend at the next level.

I still think he'll be a fine FS and would love to have him on our team, but knowing Kubiak's preferences, that probably won't happen. We could really use his playmaking abilities in the secondary, but Coach is probably gonna want his FS to help in run support. I don't think he'd be opposed to that, but he struggled against arguably the best running game in the country in the championship game.

Second, I think we all know the prototypical NFL FS is over 6' and 200 lbs, Noone is arguing that point, well .....almost.

Next, I showed you a scouting report stating he was clearly a FS, clearly undersized, and clearly very competent to play his position, all while not having great cover skills.

I never said he didn't have the size to play CB, I said he didn't have the size or the cover skills to play CB at a high level. He looks at his best at FS where he can roam and make plays.

Don't misled or misquote people here based upon your assumptions.

I know what I said and stand by it 100%.

Also, have you watched this kid play?? This kid brings it every down.

You might want to rethink your earlier comment "If he is truly too small for CB then we definitely don't want him at FS."

Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 PM
All-Pro

Your last post.

Quote:
I never said he didn't have the size to play CB,
post #3 of this thread.

Quote:
I don't think he has the size or cover skills to play CB

Silly of me to assume that when you said he doesn't have the size to play CB you were saying he doesn't have the size to play CB.

But when I read your first post I honestly assumed that I must be misunderstanding you, so I asked a very simple question for clarification. You responded by saying that due to size he will struggle at CB but be good at FS. I asked again for clarification and you gave me a website that had nothing to do with the question. Then you claimed to be misquoted.

So again I will simply say, if a guy is too small to play CB, he is definitely too small to play FS.

Last edited by barrett; 02-03-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Pro Bowler

I would rather we just waved goodbye to dRob on his way out. He is not even worth half of what he made last year.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Drafted Rookie

The problem is DRob is going to want to come back at a price that isnt worth what he can bring to the table, even in the FS position. I just dont see him agreeing to come back at less than $7 mil/yr, and at this point he's not worth that much. I say we let him go and move on.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwasher View Post
The problem is DRob is going to want to come back at a price that isnt worth what he can bring to the table, even in the FS position. I just dont see him agreeing to come back at less than $7 mil/yr, and at this point he's not worth that much. I say we let him go and move on.
I think the Texans are much more likely to draft a CB this year in the first than they are a safety. First of all, they already have a serviceable safety who they are not overpaying. I know a lot of fans pine for a freeranging safety who intercepts a lot of balls, but I don't think Kubiak is losing sleep at night trying to figure out how to get one. The Texans have greater needs. Besides, freeroaming safeties sometimes come with liabilities--they tend to gamble, and as a group they don't tend to be the top notch against the run.

There is an old saying that you can't have too many good corners. So to me there is no downside in taking a CB in the first round if there is one on the board that they are in love with. But if there is a nose tackle or a big running back on the board, I could easily see them going in that direction too.

No matter how much other teams as well as the Texans talk about taking BPA in the first round, if you look at previous drafts you will see they almost never do it. CB, NT or RB will very likely be the direction the Texans go in.

By the way, I realize that guard is probably a big need too, but I just can't see them going for one at nineteen or twenty. A guard taken that high had better be a can't-miss pro bowl prospect.