IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Really?

You need to watch Cushing play this season and come back with another assesment.
It does appear that Brian Cushing was able to play the SAM at a higher level than Zac Diles. Now, I'm wondering if we can find a WILL who plays that position better than Diles.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
It does appear that Brian Cushing was able to play the SAM at a higher level than Zac Diles. Now, I'm wondering if we can find a WILL who plays that position better than Diles.
Hey was I ever wrong about Cushing, but I realized that already back 'bout October.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Weatherspoon would appear to be a perfect fit for this team. He can rush the passer and he is excellent in pass coverage.

I would not be hurt if we drafted Rolando McLain, who IMO can play all three LB position. Adding McLain would do to our WILL what Cush did for our SAM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Regular Starter

I would be surprised to see the Texans take another LB early since we run a 4-3 and Diles has played well. It seems to me we run a number of nickel sets on 3rd downs so would you use a 1st rounder on a line backer that only plays two downs, because someone would be on the bench come 3rd and long(Ryans, Cushing, or a rookie)? A corner, safety, or interior linemen would seem to be more likely. Shoot even another play maker for the offense might happen should one be available unexpectedly.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanJedi View Post
It seems to me we run a number of nickel sets on 3rd downs so would you use a 1st rounder on a line backer that only plays two downs, because someone would be on the bench come 3rd and long(Ryans, Cushing, or a rookie)? A corner, safety, or interior linemen would seem to be more likely. Shoot even another play maker for the offense might happen should one be available unexpectedly.
If you have good LBs, you wouldn't necessarily need to change to a Nickle set. Just going back to last year's draft if we already had Cushing on the team - would you like to add CB Vontae Davis, S Louis Delmas, DT Ziggy Hood, or LB Clay Matthews?

The position isn't nearly as important as the player, in my opinion. That's what BPA is all about.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Regular Starter

I think it's BPA of DT, FS, or CB in the first round. I also think Kubes will try to acquire another mid round pick somehow. He knows how important this draft is for him.

Also, still think it would have been nice to take R.Jenning in the 7th round. Could have come in handy. IMO.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
If you have good LBs, you wouldn't necessarily need to change to a Nickle set. Just going back to last year's draft if we already had Cushing on the team - would you like to add CB Vontae Davis, S Louis Delmas, DT Ziggy Hood, or LB Clay Matthews?

The position isn't nearly as important as the player, in my opinion. That's what BPA is all about.
I liked him at the time but say we did not need a line backer, I would have wanted Michael Oher- slide Winston inside or whatever. Maclin or Harvin would have been fine as well. I don't want to reach for anyone but a BPA approach must take a team's current talent and needs into account.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Pro Bowler

He wasn't even drafted, but I think a certain rookie FA RB by the name of Arien Foster from Tenn. might well turn out to be the find of the 2008 draft based on his last two games of 2009 with the Texans. I think he will only get better in 2010.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
He wasn't even drafted, but I think a certain rookie FA RB by the name of Arien Foster from Tenn. might well turn out to be the find of the 2008 draft based on his last two games of 2009 with the Texans. I think he will only get better in 2010.
Remember Chris Taylor? Does your statement above now sound familiar?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 AM
All-Pro

Well, now, I think Arian Foster is a much better runner than Chris Taylor, in skills, athleticism, and results. Agree with NBT he may be the find of 2008.

I know for myself I never thought Chris Taylor was the answer at RB, but I do think Arian Foster is close to possibly being the RB of future for Texans.

Might you still find a third RB in upcoming draft to work with Foster, Slayton and ?, sure, always someone better could occur if it is BPA.

and one never knows, with injuries, other issues that might occur what is best after 2-3,5 years.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Might you still find a third RB in upcoming draft to work with Foster, Slayton and ?, sure, always someone better could occur if it is BPA.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010RB.php

Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.
11/7/09: Ryan Mathews is having an incredible year at Fresno State (1,316 yards, 7.4 YPC, 11 TDs in eight games). You may shrug off the fact that he plays in the WAC, but in three games against Wisconsin, Cincinnati and Boise State, Mathews has rushed for 486 yards and four touchdowns on 76 carries.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanJedi View Post
I liked him at the time but say we did not need a line backer, I would have wanted Michael Oher- slide Winston inside or whatever.
I love the Cushing pick as much as the next Texans fan and I'm delighted with his year all of this post-season recognition he's getting as the DROY and a PB selection, but given the way Oher has also turned out this argument could still be made IMO because OTs are just more valuable than LBs. Just like DLineman are more important than LBs. Afterall football games are still essentially won (or lost) on the los, same as they always were.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Well, now, I think Arian Foster is a much better runner than Chris Taylor, in skills, athleticism, and results. Agree with NBT he may be the find of 2008.

I know for myself I never thought Chris Taylor was the answer at RB, but I do think Arian Foster is close to possibly being the RB of future for Texans.

and one never knows, with injuries, other issues that might occur what is best after 2-3,5 years.
Ya, I think this scenario is probably what we'll see. C Brown is gone and if a RB is drafted, Moats is immediately on the bubble. Very well could start 2010 with:

Slaton
Foster
drafted RB

on the 53.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Veteran Depth

I'll admit I was disappointed we took Connor Barwin over Michael Johnson, as a pass rushing DE. The jury is still out, but Barwin does have a very slight edge, with one additional tackle and an extra 1.5 sacks:

Barwin: http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12449
Johnson: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...playerId=12436

I'll be interested to see how year 2 turns out for these players.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
I'll admit I was disappointed we took Connor Barwin over Michael Johnson, as a pass rushing DE. The jury is still out, but Barwin does have a very slight edge, with one additional tackle and an extra 1.5 sacks:

The Chrons John McClain said on 610 AM radio that the Texans have Barwin scheduled to get up to the 270 lb range for 2010, presumably to be big enough to play DE in run defense situations along with passing downs. Lets hope this strategy doen't have the same results as it did when they had Steve Slayton bulk-up for 2009 in his first offseason.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post

Yeah, I'm waiting to see how Everette Brown turns out too.
http://www.nfl.com/players/everetteb...e?id=BRO430930