IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > Feedback and Updates

Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Default Site Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
While the front-end content and development hasn't changed too much this summer, the 7-day site traffic last week was the best 7-day window in the brief history of ItB.com.
I promise I won't continue with mundane updates here, but ItB.com had its most single day traffic to date on Monday, only to be surpassed by the traffic counts yesterday (17% more than Monday in fact)... and if today's trend continues, there's a chance we might have three records in a row going here.

Soooo close to real football again....can't wait.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I promise I won't continue with mundane updates here, but ItB.com had its most single day traffic to date on Monday, only to be surpassed by the traffic counts yesterday (17% more than Monday in fact)... and if today's trend continues, there's a chance we might have three records in a row going here.

Soooo close to real football again....can't wait.
Good cause I know people are getting tired of my threads, maybe we will get some new blood, but please no S!y, sorry can't type his name...
Old 07-25-2008, 04:46 PM
All-Pro

OK Keith, any updates on volume?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
OK Keith, any updates on volume?
Yesterday the server processed more traffic than the day before, meaning four straight days with a new record. Checking the unique visitor count through about midday today, we were just about at Thursday's pace, so it will be close to make it five in a row.

Under normal conditions, site traffic is busiest on Mondays and Tuesdays, so to continue the build through the end of this week is encouraging. That trend usually happened at HPF twice a year - now, during the buildup and first couple days of camp, and again in the days leading up to and including draft weekend.

On a side note... I don't mean to over-emphasize our traffic. We have plenty of capacity, and there aren't revenue building click-thru ads here. I don't spam other sites (and appreciate not being spammed in return), so the important thing is having the community of fans that we have in here already.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Updating an earlier post in this thread, we actually had six consecutive record days in late July (and seven of eight).

For August, our monthly unique visitor count has already set a new record with more than a week to go. Each month has had more unique visitors than the one before it, so I suppose another new record isn't a surprise, but it is another sign that our community continues to grow. Long past our first million hits, we ought to keep ticking up to our next million pretty quick (and yes, much of that traffic is from lurkers here in the forums. Our lurker to registered user ratio here is amazing. Smile and wave boys, smile and wave... )

Given the newness of the URL, nearly all of our traffic is organic and bookmarked (which is nice... cuts down on trolls, spam, etc.), and compared with other sites with big forums, our traffic is still pretty small. Relatively speaking, we get very little traffic from search engines and other outside sources, though I'm sure that will change and increase some over time. While we don't get a ton of linked traffic into the site, ItB.com has been linked by several other friendly sites (as I'm sure many of you can attest firsthand), and I'd like to thank a few of them individually here (in no particular order).

Matt and BFD at DGDB&D
The guys at BattleRedBlog
Steph at AOLFanHouse
Mods and posters at TexansTalk.com
Mike and crew at ProFootballTalk.com

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

One more friendly blogger I'd like to thank... Alan Burge, who now has his own site on Examiner.com. A little history - - Alan was the originator of the salary cap page on HPF.com, something I was quite thankful for since I was about to start it myself and didn't want the hassle.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner
Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Regular Starter

Since you do not partake in shameless self promotion, here is another plug for you regular peeps to contribute to the site, to keep it advertiser free. There is a link on the page, and I am sure Keith appreciates the support from the "regulars" in defraying the cost of maintaining the site.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Just an effort to keep everyone up to date on the site...

Our traffic dropped from August to September by roughly 30% - - though the # of unique visitors remained level. A drop like this is somewhat normal (at least related to my HPF.com experiences) once the season gets going, but the drop was steeper than normal, most likely because many of us (including ItB.com's headquarters) were dealing with the after effects of Ike. On HPF, we had a very similar pattern after Rita.

October's traffic is up from September, but the # of unique visitors dropped a little (~10%). It has been a slow build this month. My hunch is that this is due in some part to Ike but also because the team started 0-4. Losing is actually good in the short-term for traffic, but in the long-term continued losing keeps the casual lurkers away.

As I said though, with each win (and each week further from Ike's landfall), the traffic has been building. In fact, this week's traffic has been as good as it was during the early parts of August, so most of us seem to be back in the fold. Welcome back!

One other note... site donations have slowed to a halt, which is okay for now, but expect me to re-fire the campaign in the spring. We're paid up through March or so thanks to your contributions and my start-up funds, but the next round of semi-annual fees will be due just before the draft. To learn more about how to contribute, click here.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Administrator

One more thing... Had some questions about the lack of new content after the Bengals win. I'd been out of pocket since Sunday for my day job unable to refresh the site. Rest assured, we'll be business as usual again this Sunday.

...Not that the lack of a Bengals recap had any negative impact to site traffic, lol.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:15 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
One more thing... Had some questions about the lack of new content after the Bengals win. I'd been out of pocket since Sunday for my day job unable to refresh the site. Rest assured, we'll be business as usual again this Sunday.

...Not that the lack of a Bengals recap had any negative impact to site traffic, lol.
You do recaps?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Thought I'd bump this thread again...

I find it kinda funny that our traffic here on ItB.com mirrors (at least on a relative basis) the traffic we experienced on HPF.com. So, it comes as little surprise that as soon as the season ended, traffic has picked up again.

Of special note though is that, with January only halfway gone, we are maybe just a day's worth of traffic short of already making this the most-uniquely visited month to date on ItB.com. Until tomorrow, the month on record with the most unique vistors is August '08... I expect January '09 will shatter that, and I figure at this rate April '09 will likely blow January out of the water when it comes around. By the last week of this month, I also expect we'll have a new monthly record for page hits, too.

So please let me extend both a thanks and a welcome to all of you for making this place what it is and for helping to continue its steady growth. Given some day job priorities for me of late (some of which are culminating tomorrow), I've had less time than anticipated to give the front page of the site the same level of dedication I gave in HPF's later years to keep the site fresh, so I know a huge portion of ItB's success comes from right here in our forums from all of you. Again, thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Been a record-setting day. ItB.com has had the most visits in a single day since the site started last April, and that was with more than six hours left in the day, too. It seems quite possible that new record gets broken tomorrow.

For the month, February is working on a pace to out-"hit" January. Until I posted that sensationalistic fantasy about Peppers and the Texans, nearly all of that traffic was 'organic', i.e. from regulars just finding the site early and often.

And here's the thing - we're just getting started this offseason, so I'm glad everyone's here for the ride ahead. Go Texans!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

April = ItB.com's heaviest month of traffic on record.

Pretty much eclipsed all of the previous highs, which were in March. Hits were actually 50% higher in April than they were in March ...pretty cool stuff!

Traffic will naturally lull a bit (with maybe some exceptions for mini-camps and whatnot), but rest assured we'll be kicking it into high gear again by the end of July.