IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Hall of Fame

Default What's new for 2018

About a day late but:

Texans move on from assistants Larry Izzo, John Butler, Charles London

Quote:
"It was too inconsistent," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said of the special teams Monday shortly before Izzo was dismissed. "We have to look at it schematically, we have to look at it from a coaching standpoint. We've got to look at every facet of special teams because in order for us to get to where we get to, we have to improve that area. We've got to be better on special teams."
-----------------------------------------------------------

Texans' wide receiver Will Fuller to have minor knee surgery

Quote:
Fuller was injured three times last season, missing most of training camp, all of preseason and six starts. The first-round pick in 2016 finished with 26 receptions for 406 yards and seven touchdowns.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Texans expect Romeo Crennel to return

Quote:
If Vrabel leaves to become a head coach as he's being sought after by the Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions for jobs and O'Brien remains in place in Houston, the Texans' in-house candidates to replace him include Crennel, if he's interested in resuming those duties, and secondary coach John Butler.
------------------------------------------------------------

Colts request permission to interview Texans' Mike Vrabel

Lions ask permission to interview Texans' Mike Vrabel
Old 01-03-2018, 11:12 AM
All-Pro

I would love to know what Mike Vrabel has ever done to demonstrate he deserves a coordinator job never mind a head coaching position.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I would love to know what Mike Vrabel has ever done to demonstrate he deserves a coordinator job never mind a head coaching position.
I don't know anything, but I do know that the Texans Defense was the worst in the league in terms of who they played against. I am a Vrabel fan and realize that he was dealing with injuries to Watt & Merciless. Jonathan Joseph took a step back, maybe due to age. That being said, I would have a difficult time hiring Vrabel to be a head coach when all he has on his resume is being in charge of the worst defense. I like Keith Butler and James Bettcher of the Steelers and Cardinals, respectively. As I look around the league, maybe a DC who runs the 4-3 Defense would be a better choice. But for continuity, I would hire Bettcher tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I think it’s a combination of three factors:

1. Sean McVay turned the Rams around in his first year and it’s a copycat league. Teams are looking for another young, energetic guy.

2. Apparently teams are willing to excuse Vrabel’s performance as DC due to personnel shortcomings, especially the losses of JJ, Mercilus, and Bouye. But even taking that into account, I don’t know how they could conclude that he got the most out of what he had.

3. I heard or read someone (it might have been MMQB’s Albert Breer) say that many teams are taking the mindset that if they feel a guy could be a great head coach one day but may not be quite ready, they need to hire him, even if that involves taking some lumps early while he learns on the job, because he’s unlikely to be available the next time they’re looking for a coach.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:00 PM
All-Pro

People love a football coach that looks the part. If Vrabel looked like Andy Reid he'd have to actually know how to coach. Instead he'll get a job based on fitting the idea that some owner has of what a football coach looks and sounds like. It's the same reason guys like Blake Bortles get drafted to play QB. All things considered football is run by very inside the box thinkers.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:12 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
People love a football coach that looks the part. If Vrabel looked like Andy Reid he'd have to actually know how to coach. Instead he'll get a job based on fitting the idea that some owner has of what a football coach looks and sounds like. It's the same reason guys like Blake Bortles get drafted to play QB. All things considered football is run by very inside the box thinkers.
Many Broncos watcher were stunned that Elway jumped up and grabbed Vance Joseph to replace Gary Kubiak as Head Coach even though the Dolphins defense he was coaching was stinking up the joint despite having Ndonkeykong Suh and others. Elway defended his decision by claiming Joseph was a "leader of men". Broncos supporters have used that "leader of men" comment as a punchline ever since.

So, if somebody grabs Vrabel and defends him as a "leader of men", watch out.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
So, if somebody grabs Vrabel and defends him as a "leader of men", watch out.
Let's hope it's the Titans.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I am going to be amazed if this is a better occurrence for the Titans than it is going to be for the Texans. Can't wait to see who his replacement is for the Texans
Old 01-20-2018, 06:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Titans Hire Mike Vrabel as New Head Coach
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/20/ti...head-coach-job
Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Titans Hire Mike Vrabel as New Head Coach
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/20/ti...head-coach-job
Goodness, I don't see how this can be helpful to Mariota. Mariota is at a point in his career where the right person could get him straightened out and really help his growth. Vrabel ain't that guy.

OTOH, if you aren't a fan of what Vrabel did with the Texan defense last year, the problem has been removed....
Old 01-21-2018, 12:21 PM
All-Pro

I am really interested in seeing who he hires as OC. I would love the irony of Schiano from Ohio State.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 PM
All-Pro

So, our shit DC gets replaced by a guy who was great because the guy who was shit was hired to be a head coach of a division rival, a division rival who, by the way, conspicuously needed offensive help.

That seems like a decent deal to me.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Goodness, I don't see how this can be helpful to Mariota. Mariota is at a point in his career where the right person could get him straightened out and really help his growth. Vrabel ain't that guy.

OTOH, if you aren't a fan of what Vrabel did with the Texan defense last year, the problem has been removed....
Nobody is fixing Marriota at this point. After 3 years in the NFL he's a 1 read QB. Vrabel was a terrible DC with no credentials to be a HC, but he can't make that offense worse if he hires this guy as OC...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/98c8...itemid=5495549
Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Nobody is fixing Marriota at this point. After 3 years in the NFL he's a 1 read QB. Vrabel was a terrible DC with no credentials to be a HC, but he can't make that offense worse if he hires this guy as OC...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/98c8...itemid=5495549
If you believe in string theory there's a parallel universe where that turns out to be War and Peace.

I certainly hope that keyboard is set to Cyrillic.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:55 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I am really interested in seeing who he hires as OC. I would love the irony of Schiano from Ohio State.
I would LOL if it turned out to be Josh McDaniels. Patriot connection...
Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM
All-Pro

Rumor has it that he is going to hire or at least interview the guy I want to be the DC on Indy, ex-Cardinals DC James Betcher. The OC from The Ohio State turned him down for the same gig in the NFL. There is irony in that. Still waiting to see what occurs in Tennessee offensively.