IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams

Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
All-Pro

Seems like the Judge for moment ruled in favor of the players, ending the lockout. Of course NFL owners will file for a stay (continuation of lockout) and repeal of the Judges suspension.

Looks like players from some teams reporting back to the team office and training centers today. They need to if they had workout and offseason bonuses.

So, that could mean no cba for a couple more years while stays in the courts, is a thing speculated on.

That would mean no rookie pay scale and no salary cap most likely.

Perhaps we will have free agency sometime soon, that could be interesting.

I heard projected income is expected to continue rising from current 9B on up to 25B annually perhaps over next 10-15 years and owners want to keep reducing the players percentage of that over time, but who knows what really said.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
All-Pro

could be something on the stay in next hour or so, or not. That could effect trades for players and when free agency might start and when some real serious negotiations will start.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...for-delay.html

Good for Antwuan Molden, the only player on Texans to show up at Texans facilities yesterday. Got to talk witrh Rick Smith a little.

Maybe help his cause at CB if he can stay healthy.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7537439.html
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM
All-Pro

judge denied the stay, but the NFL has still not decided what rules to put in place. Most likely they will go back to last years rules which will hurt FA pool.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
All-Pro

Well, I'm getting tired of the owners and Goddells lockout and trying to spin it. Wonder when the owners will get serious about an upcoming season?

Anyways, here is an article on todays comments from 8th circuit appeals.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/A...t-fight-050311

Sounds like they are supposed to sit down and negotiate starting May 16.

Stay hearing or something on June 3.

Lower ticket prices and concession prices or I will be happy with HDTV is my own position now, maybe start following Coogs closer.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Pro Bowler

Just goes to show you that neither side gives a dam about the fans. However, the $4B the owners squeezed out of the networks in the interim, was a pretty cool move. Now they are squeezing the players up against their need to prepare their bodies for the upcoming season (assuming there will be one), and the owners are locking them out. The injunction has been lifted, so the owners are feeling pretty smug right about now. S.O.B.'s
Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Pro Bowler

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...tml#finalframe

Rookie wage scale and veterans time in the league for free agency appear to be the last 2 stumbling blocks to getting a deal done at this point.

If they don't get it done by the 15th of July (4 days), I'm afraid it will go on on until we miss TC and the pre-season games. Only when the games start paying the players will someone start to agitate to end this stupid thing. Hope that doesn't happen.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
All-Pro

PFW (my phone app thus no link to either site) are reporting that ESPN.com is reporting that sources from both sides of the negotiation are stating that a deal will be in place by July 21st owners meeting.

If a deal is reached by that date The Hall of Fame game would be in jeopardy, but all other games would be played on time and a full training camp would be in place.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Pro Bowler

Let's see, that would be Thursday week (10 days from now!). That is really pushing it up tight to get everything like contracts, FA, getting playbooks out to the rooks, and especially to the defense, since they will be playing a new defense. Wade Phillips version of the 3-4. But heck, I'm ready for some football.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Administrator

In theory teams with the most stability should have an advantage. Makes keeping Kubiak around one more season seem more sensible now than it did seven or eight months ago.

...always the optimism for a new season this time of year, eh?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
All-Pro

John Lopez of Sports Radio 610 am had this article posted yesterday about the "soon to end lock out" plan.

Quote:
Sources: NFL “12-Day Plan” To Begin Midnight Saturday
By JOHN P. LOPEZ, SportsRadio 610
July 11, 2011 2:11 PM
From Vandermeer & Lopez

The NFL is confident enough its lockout will be resolved this week, it has established a 12-Day Plan to resume football activities beginning Saturday at midnight, league sources told SportsRadio 610.

Barring an 11th-Hour collapse in negotiations, the agreement between the league and players will be ratified this week – not at the July 21 meetings in Atlanta, as has been reported – ending the longest work stoppage in league history.

The plan, which is broken into three parts, is designed to prevent a mad scramble in player signings, while allowing the league to play full preseason and regular-season schedules.

Under the plan, teams will be allowed to negotiate only with restricted free-agents for four-days, beginning at midnight Saturday. A deadline also will be established, allowing teams to match offer-sheets for their restricted free-agents. Unrestricted free-agents will be contacted during the second four-days of the plan, with the final four-day contact window allowing teams to negotiate with drafted and undrafted rookies.

By completing personnel moves in 12-days, training camps could begin on July 27, allowing teams virtually undisturbed training camp and preseason schedules. The only teams whose schedules would be significantly altered would be the Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams, who were scheduled to play in the Hall Of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio. The plan also would include expanding rosters for training camps.

Numerous reports indicate the final hurdles in completing the deal are reaching agreement on a rookie wage scale and determining a time frame for unrestricted free agency for veterans.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Pro Bowler

Don't know where Lopez is getting his info, but I sure hope he is right.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Don't know where Lopez is getting his info, but I sure hope he is right.
PFT says they are hearing the announcement is on for the 17th, so Lopez may have it pretty close to right. I've got even my toes crossed that he does.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Pro Bowler

Good luck on 'completing personnel moves' in 12 days, NFL. I'll believe it when I see it. The rookies should be easy as long as there's a wage scale and there's very little negotiating room (like contract years). But what's going to happen to the RFA's and UFA's is, a lot of them are going to get low-ball offers and the owners are going to wait it out until the player craters. Some will get big money, but a lot will get low-balled and be forced to re-sign with their former team, which will likely be late into camp/preseason.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Good luck on 'completing personnel moves' in 12 days, NFL. I'll believe it when I see it. The rookies should be easy as long as there's a wage scale and there's very little negotiating room (like contract years). But what's going to happen to the RFA's and UFA's is, a lot of them are going to get low-ball offers and the owners are going to wait it out until the player craters. Some will get big money, but a lot will get low-balled and be forced to re-sign with their former team, which will likely be late into camp/preseason.
One of the sticks in that wheel is the proposed 90% of the cap must be spent every year. Teams like Tampa Bay are no where near that floor amount and will have to spend gaudy numbers to hit that marks. It will put them in play for 2 or more of the top blue chip guys, and they will have to succeed at spending that money.

With teams having to be above a certain dollar amount, there will be overspending on marginal talents when the top guys have signed.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Regular Starter

Assuming a cap of a 120 million, how much will we have to spend?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Sorry I don't have a link, but I remember reading, or hearing somewhere, that the league will give the teams 3 days to sign RFA, rookies, and any other FA's they may have their eye on. If the owners meeting ratifies the agreement Thurs the 21st., then the teams would have until Monday the 25th to get all that done. No way it can get done

ihttp://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7656663.htm.

Found a link in the Chronicle today's paper, Jerome Soloman.

Last edited by NBT; 07-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
All-Pro

Sounds like owners have voted to accept new CBA. Now players need to vote in the next hour and hopefully recertify union. Press releases coming on when players report and FA starts.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Lots of details here:
Quote:
ECONOMICS:

» Salary cap plus benefits of $142.4 million per club in 2011 ($120.375 million for salary and bonus) and at least that amount in 2012 and 2013.
» Beginning in 2012, salary cap to be set based on a combined share of "all revenue," a new model differentiated by revenue source with no expense reductions. Players will receive 55 percent of national media revenue, 45 percent of NFL Ventures revenue, and 40 percent of local club revenue.
» Beginning in 2012, annual "true up" to reflect revenue increases or decreases versus projections.
» Clubs receive credit for actual stadium investment and up to 1.5 percent of revenue each year.
» Player share must average at least 47 percent for the 10-year term of the agreement.
» League-wide commitment to cash spending of 99 percent of the cap in 2011 and 2012.
» For the 2013-2016 seasons, and again for the 2017-2020 seasons, the clubs collectively will commit to cash spending of at least 95 percent of the cap.
» Each club committed to cash spending of 89 percent of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.
» Increases to minimum salaries of 10 percent in Year 1 with continuing increases each year of the agreement.
2011-2012 TRANSITION RULES:

» Special transition rules to protect veteran players in 2011. All teams will have approximately $3.5 million in what would otherwise be performance-based pay available to fund veteran player salaries.
» Each club may "borrow" up to $3 million in cap room from a future year, which may be used to support veteran player costs.
» In 2012, each club may "borrow" up to $1.5 million in cap room from a future year. Both these amounts would be repaid in future years.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...module=HP11_cp

Lots more to read in there.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Pro Bowler

Well the players opted not to vote, saying the owners were trying to pull a fast one on them. Still waiting.......
Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM
All-Pro

And today, out of respect for the Kraft families loss, and the burial of Myra Kraft the players will not make any public statements.

It gives the players side time to read the entire agreement that was approved by the owners.

Hopefully everything is finalized by Monday.

My understanding is the player can return to Reliant starting tomorrow without the player having agreed to the contract.

The league year and free agency will not start until they agree, but contact can be reestablished.