IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM
All-Pro

Assuming we could work a deal to secure a QB like Brock Osweiler or Ryan Mallet with our 2.1, how about exchanging our 1.1 with a team sitting out of the top 5 like ATL, TB, or Minny for their first and second round picks ? OK so it's not an even-steven swap according to the DVCs, but with such a loaded Draft this year it might mean an additional starter for us.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:18 PM
All-Pro

BTW, I looked at the trade value chart at Walter's and the 1-1 pick is worth 3000 pts, the #4 overall is 1800, the #26 overall is worth 700 and the #35 overall is worth 550. So Blitzwood's proposed trade does not seem as outlandish as I thought - 3000 pts for 3050 pts. Still, I can't imagine a real professional NFL GM would give up two #1s and a high #2 to move up three spots to 1-1 unless Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck were at 1-1 and, no Aggies, Johnny Manziel is not in the same hemisphere as either of those two.

Then again, we are talking about the Browns' front office so maybe they are crazy enough to do it.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 03-09-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Regular Starter

Don't worry Bob, I'm not the least bit offended at your first mental lapse in the last decade or so, I most often find your commentary insightful and refreshing like a South Texas fertilizer plant in mid August....

There was a trade a couple years ago between the Rams and the Redskins to move up four spots for some guy named RG3. Rookie Salary cap in play, also.

I believe the haul was:

Redskins get:
2nd-overall pick (2012)

Rams get:
2nd-overall pick (2014)
6th-overall pick (2012)
22nd-overall pick (2013)
39th-overall pick (2012)

I bet that trade was slightly over 50 points.

BTW, I like Tuitt, what don't u like about him?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 AM
All-Pro

I just don't see Tuitt as the sort of impact guy I like in the first round. There are some other guys projected in the first I feel the same way about - solid but not dynamic. Then again, I wasn't a big fan of Watt coming out of college either.

See if the Browns will bite on 2 1sts and a high 2nd. I'll be happy if it works but unless they want something exclusive (i.e. Clowney), I just don't see them making that jump. RG3 was RG3. From a draftnik's perspective, he was a definite franchise quarterback.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
BTW, I looked at the trade value chart at Walter's and the 1-1 pick is worth 3000 pts, the #4 overall is 1800, the #26 overall is worth 700 and the #35 overall is worth 550. So Blitzwood's proposed trade does not seem as outlandish as I thought - 3000 pts for 3050 pts. Still, I can't imagine a real professional NFL GM would give up two #1s and a high #2 to move up three spots to 1-1 unless Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck were at 1-1 and, no Aggies, Johnny Manziel is not in the same hemisphere as either of those two.

Then again, we are talking about the Browns' front office so maybe they are crazy enough to do it.
Bob, you need to forget about all of that crap. there's no "franchise" QB in this Draft. Therefor a team like the Texans has got to really sweeten the pot to get multiple picks for its 1.1. For example, if we could get Clevelands 1.4 & 2.4 for our 1.1 I'd jump all over it even though the DVC says it's a bad deal for
us: 3000/Texans-2340(1800+540)Browns. In other words its meaningless most years unless a teams got an an Andy Luck or Peyton Manning to deal.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:35 AM
All-Pro

I agree that we don't have a franchise QB in this draft and a trade down would likely mean less value in return. However, if a #1 and a #2 is all that is needed, you won't need the Browns. I think the Falcons may be the better trade partner because they seem to genuinely want Clowney, already have a starting QB and are thinking their awful season can be fixed with better health, better luck and a few new parts.

I'd accept the Falcons' 1-6 and 2-6 plus a 2013 2nd for our #1 spot and use the 1-6 for an offensive tackle or a blitzing LB (or Sammy Watkins if you want to get exotic). We fill a hole, add another Top 40 pick and add a second-rounder for next year while the Falcons get the DE they covet.

Some mocks have the Rams doing this deal on the premise we aren't taking Clowney but there's no reason we can't cut out the middle man and do it ourselves.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Administrator

I feel like I'm more and more on an island in my belief that Teddy Bridgewater is a franchise QB...
Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I agree that we don't have a franchise QB in this draft and a trade down would likely mean less value in return. However, if a #1 and a #2 is all that is needed, you won't need the Browns. I think the Falcons may be the better trade partner because they seem to genuinely want Clowney, already have a starting QB and are thinking their awful season can be fixed with better health, better luck and a few new parts.

I'd accept the Falcons' 1-6 and 2-6 plus a 2013 2nd for our #1 spot and use the 1-6 for an offensive tackle or a blitzing LB (or Sammy Watkins if you want to get exotic). We fill a hole, add another Top 40 pick and add a second-rounder for next year while the Falcons get the DE they covet.

Some mocks have the Rams doing this deal on the premise we aren't taking Clowney but there's no reason we can't cut out the middle man and do it ourselves.
Who was the Falcons 2013 2nd round pick?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
All-Pro

D'oh! I meant 2015. Need to wake up earlier.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I feel like I'm more and more on an island in my belief that Teddy Bridgewater is a franchise QB...
Probably with a small population. I like Bortles in O'Brien's system and I like Gorappolo in that I could get him with a 2nd round pick (reducing my risk).
Old 03-15-2014, 03:25 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
I think we all need to(or have already come to) realize this team needs more than a new QB and new HC to get to the SB. We have needs at almost every position due to some bad draft picks and FA signings in recent years. With that said, this is a scenario I would do, although I know it's been over 10 years since a First overall pick has been traded.

Trade the 1 to the Browns for the 4, 26, and 35.
Trade the 26 to the 49ers for their 30 and 94.

1-1. Browns - J. Manziel. QB
1-2. Rams - G. Robinson. OT
1-3. Jags - J. Clowney. DE

1-4. Blake Bortles. QB, B.O.B. makes out like a bandit in his first draft as HC. He gets the proto type signal caller he most desires and many assumed he'd take 1st overall, and a hand full of additional picks to help reload the team. (Anthony Barr also gets a long look here)

1-30. Stephan Tuitt. 3-4DE, 1st Team All-American. A. Smith is not resigned.
2-33. David Yankey. OG, 1st Team All-American. W. Smith is not resigned.
2-35. Ed Reynolds. S, 1st Team All-American. Keo becomes expendable.
3-65. Bryan Stork. C, Consensus All-American. Ben Jones moves to the PS.
3-94. Jeremy Hill. RB, 1st Team All-SEC. Tate is all but gone.
4-97. Christian Jones. OLB, Brooks Reed is not resigned.
5.129. Stanley Jean-Baptiste. CB, Offers much needed depth.
6-161. JaWuan James. OT, Newton becomes the swing OT.
7-193. Spencer Shuey. ILB, Trevardo Williams and Shuey battle for the other ILB.
I'll play along, but I am not doing the SF trade.

1-4 Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
1-26 Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
2-33 Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
2-35 Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
3-65 Cameron Fleming*, OT, Stanford
4-97 Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee
5 129 Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice

Mack is a high motor guy with off the chart skills. Mack and Mercilus become the speed guys on the outside, along with Trevardo Williams who can also be seen inside at times. Shazier is on the smallest side, but reports have the Texans meeting with him at the Combine. He has off the chart speed for the ILB. (What college did our new LB coach play at?)

Tuitt would be a monster DE to play the 5 tech for Crennel, along with McCullers at NT. To round out the defensive picks, local product Gaines from Rice has top end speed and plenty of upside.

Fleming is a junior that could be a RT. Lastly I have them taking Garoppolo, Roy and I both like him.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I'll play along

1-4 Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
1-26 Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
2-33 Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
2-35 Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
3-65 Cameron Fleming*, OT, Stanford
4-97 Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee
5 129 Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice.

Lastly I have them taking Garoppolo, Roy and I both like him.
I used my draft board and came away with this:

1-4 Justin Gilbert, CB/KR, Oklahoma State
1-26 Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
2-33 Xavier Su'a-Fill, G/T, UCLA
2-35 Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
3-65 Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville
4-97 Jordan Tripp, ILB, Montana
5-129 Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton

At #4 I take a hard look at OT Greg Robinson and OLB Anthony Barr. If I knew Barr would drop so low in the first round, I could trade down some more and be happy. I went with Gilbert because the Colts have more receivers than we can cover.

I grabbed my QB early to make sure I got one. If I could guarantee I could draft AJ McCarron at #97, my draft might look different. OLB Dee Ford was tempting here too, but concerned about his medical, since he wasn't allowed to work out at The Combine.

At #33 I drafted Logan Mankins, Steve Hutchinson, or Alan Faneca, a Pro-Bowl LG. Maybe he can play RT or maybe Quessenberry can, but Su'a-Filo couldn't be passed up.

At #35 I'm torn between Trent Murphy and Kareem Martin. K Martin has the size I like, but I saw Murphy in action during the season more often and he reminded me of JJ Watt. So, I pit him in the weight room with JJ and hope he bulks up to 275lbs and replaces Antonio Smith.

At #65 There's still plenty of talent on the board. Since I haven't drafted an OLB yet, Marcus Smith is my guy. If I look at the Sacks, TFLs, Fumbles that Murphy & Smith produced last year, I start hoping it projects to the next level. I also considered my Safety Deone Bucannom here. If I missed on Su'a-Filo, Joel Bitonio would be the pick here. Offensive weapons Donte Moncrief, and Bishop Sankey were also available here.

At #97 I take one of my favorite players on the draft. At the Senior Bowl he seemed like he was in on every tackle. I had no idea who he was, but I looked him up. At the Combine his 6.89 Cone drill, and 3.96 Shuttle opened my eyes. So, with Cushing's history of injuries and the lack of depth at ILB, this pick makes me happy. This is where we COULD have drafted AJ McCarron.

At #129, much like #35 I draft a guy I saw play but just hope he gets bigger. He is not Vince Wilfork, nor is he Teddy Washington or Dontari Poe. At 6' 2" 302lbs, he's not "Tiny" either. Earl Mitchell is gone and we need someone on the middle. Maybe, he only plays on third down, but he has quickness to pass rush and I'm taking him. Other options I considered: RB Tyler Gaffney, OC Weston Richburg, OT Trai Turner, NT Zack Kerr, and WR Kevin Norwood.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I used my draft board and came away with this:

1-4 Justin Gilbert, CB/KR, Oklahoma State
1-26 Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
2-33 Xavier Su'a-Fill, G/T, UCLA
2-35 Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
3-65 Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville
4-97 Jordan Tripp, ILB, Montana
5-129 Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton
This would be a great draft on many levels. Best CB/ best OG (who I don't see lasting until 33), and a QB that has the features that O'Brien is on record stating what he is looking for.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 PM
All-Pro

Walters April 8th

1 Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
Quote:
Anyone who says the Texans know what they're doing for sure is lying. This front office doesn't even know whether it wants to take Jadeveon Clowney or Blake Bortles yet. If the 2014 NFL Draft were held today, Clowney would probably be the pick; Bob McNair stated that he was smitten with him, though that was likely an attempt to create a trade possibility. However, they still have plenty of time to fall in love with one of the quarterbacks.

Bortles, who has the characteristics of what Bill O'Brien looks for, will be the signal-caller if Houston chooses to take one. Charlie Campbell reported that two teams in the top five prefer Bortles over Bridgewater and Manziel. Something else to keep in mind is that O'Brien seemed impressed with Bortles at the Central Florida Pro Day. Meanwhile, Tony Pauline said that Bortles is the consensus No. 1 quarterback, and that he has been impressive in the interviews.

Having said that, I'm leaning toward switching this to Clowney. It seems like the Texans might be growing confident that they can land a potential franchise signal-caller at No. 33; perhaps even Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater because multiple teams believe both Manziel and Bridgewater will fall.
33 Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
Quote:
The Texans have officially lost Ben Tate, who signed with the Browns. This was expected all along though, so the team has been looking at new options behind Arian Foster (Andre Brown signed on for just one year). Carlos Hyde would make a lot of sense for them atop Round 2.
65 Carl Bradford, DE/OLB, Arizona State
Quote:
The Texans would kill two stones with one bird with this pick, as Emmitt would say. They need to upgrade their pass rush and find some help at inside linebacker. Carl Bradford would satisfy the former, which would allow Brooks Reed to move inside.
101 E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri
Quote:
There are a few areas the Texans need to address outside of the quarterback position. They need to find a new second running back, upgrade the outside linebacker position, obtain another tight end and acquire a better nickel.
135 Houston Texans: Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
Quote:
The Texans are looking to add a new tight end after cutting Owen Daniels.
141 James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
Quote:
The Texans could spend a mid-round pick on a right tackle who could potentially challenge for a starting job.
My take

1 Jadeveon Clowney, OLB/DE, South Carolina
33 Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
65 Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
101 E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri
135 Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
141 Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

Clowney to put on the opposite side of the defense from Watt, Now we have some pass rush options. Tuitt is a perfect 5 tech, needs to bring his motor up, Mr golden domer meet Mr Watt & Mr Cushing.

Two QBs that have upside, Mettenberger would be a 1st rounder had he not had the knee injury. Has a rocket arm and has played in a pro set offense. Boyd has been a solid QB and has a history with last years 1st round pick. Time to develop a young QB.

Not a perfect draft but one I would not scream at on the Monday after the draft.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:17 AM
All-Pro

Henderson quit during his Pro Day which his agent later claimed was due to dehydration. I suspect he'll still be there in the seventh if you want him.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Henderson quit during his Pro Day which his agent later claimed was due to dehydration. I suspect he'll still be there in the seventh if you want him.
I missed that one. He has an upside, but he also has never lived up to his talent level.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM
All-Pro

Walters has a new mock April 15th.

1 Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
Quote:
I've said all along that the Texans were 50-50 between Jadeveon Clowney and Blake Bortles, so Charlie and I decided that it would be a good idea to have our mocks begin with each of those players. That's going to change now, as it appears as though Houston is inching toward selecting Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Texans aren't 100-percent settled on Clowney just yet. They still have a pre-draft visit with Bortles coming up, and that could sway their decision. But from what I'm hearing, it seems like Houston believes there isn't enough of a difference between the first- and second-round quarterbacks to warrant passing on the greatest pass-rushing prospect in years.

Besides, there's actually a chance the Texans can grab either Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel at No. 33; especially the former. Multiple teams believe both Manziel and Bridgewater will fall.
33 Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Quote:
You would've been locked in a mental ward had you told someone five months ago that the Texans could draft Teddy Bridgewater - in the second round! But Bridgewater is probably going to fall that far. You can check out the various reports in the NFL Draft Rumor Mill, and stay tuned for another report coming soon. We've spoken to a personnel man with an NFC team that doesn't need a quarterback, and the things he said about Bridgewater blew my mind.
65 Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
Quote:
The Texans have officially lost Ben Tate, who signed with the Browns. This was expected all along though, so the team has been looking at new options behind Arian Foster (Andre Brown signed on for just one year). Tre Mason would make a lot of sense for them atop Round 3.
101 Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State
Quote:
The Texans may consider a safety in the middle rounds as competition for D.J. Swearinger, who struggled last year.
They are still doing the mock live and have not gotten through the 4th round. will update the rest later.

Last edited by painekiller; 04-15-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:52 PM
All-Pro

Draftsite has a 7 round mock up.

1 Blake Bortles* QB Central Florida 6' 5" 232
Quote:
DraftSite's comments: Jadeveon Clowney remains a strong possibility here as a linebacker in the 3-4 set but Bortles gives the Texans the long term answer they are seeking at quarterback. There are questions about all of the top quarterbacks available but Bortles seems like the sure thing, had the best pro day and working out at the Combine helped his stock.
33 Morgan Moses OT Virginia 6' 6" 314
65 Troy Niklas* TE Notre Dame 6' 6" 270
101 Andre Williams RB Boston College 5' 11" 230
135 Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska 6' 3" 218
141 Dominique Easley DT Florida 6' 2" 288
177 Marcus Williams CB North Dakota State 5' 11" 192
211 Prince Shembo OLB Notre Dame 6' 1" 253
216 Matt Hall OT Belhaven 6' 10" 320
256 Zac Kerin OC Toledo 6' 5" 300

Again my Cherry Pick:

1 Jadeveon Clowney* DE South Carolina 6' 5" 266
33 Zach Mettenberger QB LSU 6' 5" 224
65 Shayne Skov ILB Stanford 6' 2" 245
101 Cameron Fleming* OT Stanford 6' 5" 323
135 Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska 6' 3" 218
141 Marcel Jensen TE Fresno State 6' 6" 259
177 Marcus Williams CB North Dakota State 5' 11" 192
211 Logan Thomas QB Virginia Tech 6' 6" 248
No clue about the 7th round picks. Why not pick a 6'10" OT? If he can stay low, which I doubt.

My Clowney flags are waiving to stay away from this kid, but his talent is hard to pass up. The $.05 brain is worrying me, also who is advising this kid?

Logan Thomas has met with team a couple times, so he is on my radar.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 PM
All-Pro

I think Logan Thomas could be converted to TE ala Owen Daniels. He has the size and good hands. I don't believe for a moment anyone is looking at him for QB.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Walters has a new mock April 15th.

1 Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

33 Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

65 Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

101 Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State

They are still doing the mock live and have not gotten through the 4th round. will update the rest later.
I would be sooo happy with Clowney, Bridgewater and Mason as our top three picks. That's three guys who ought to be above-average to great NFL players.

But after that we need to fix the O-line and the defense with most of the remaining picks.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 04-15-2014 at 05:37 PM.