IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn View Post
After seeing some LSU games, i'm sold on Herman Johnson. He is projected by most as a second rounder and I think he would be a steal if he could be had there.

So a draft of...

1. George Selive - DE USF Would be very happy if he were available here.
2. Herman Johnson - OG LSU To big for ZB
3. Shonn Greene - RB Iowa After combine wont last until 3rd
4. Patrick Chung - S Oregon Wont last until 4th
5. Ron Brace - DT Boston College Would be very happy if he were available here.
6. Tom Brandstater - QB Fresno State No more FS QB's here ever!!!!

... would look nice to me.
I like Johnson to. My bet is he goes to the Eagles, Cowboys, Steelers or Cardinals
Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I like Johnson to. My bet is he goes to the Eagles, Cowboys, Steelers or Cardinals
Very logical. From what I've seen of him I don't think he makes it out of the first round. He's dominant at the left guard spot, and in all honesty... I wouldn't mind if the Texans took him there either.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Veteran Depth

For a different look...

1. Aaron Curry - OLB Wake Forest
2. Herman Johnson - OG LSU
3. Conner Barwin - DE Cincinnati
4. Emanuel Cook - S South Carolina
5. Curtis Taylor - S LSU
6. Max Unger - C Oregon
7. Rodney Ferguson - RB New Mexico
Old 12-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Still think our best bet with that 2nd round pick would be DT - B.J. Raji.

The #1 pick should be either a LB or a Safety (Free).

The Draft is supposed to be good next year (2009) for OT's, Safeties, and TE's, so I would probably look for one of those too, if a good one is still there with, say our 4th round pick.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Veteran Depth

Couple of players to keep an eye on today....

OLB Aaron Curry of Wake Forest is going up against Navy right now on ESPN and also DE George Selvie of South Florida is taking on Memphis at 3:30 on ESPN2.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Where's Roy when we need him. The reason given for the drop of SAM LB in importance is because he is a 2 down player. Most teams remove the SAM for nickle packages and against team like the Colts the SAM is not on the field very often. So in turn teams do not like tie up valuable 1st money in a guy the offense can scheme off the field very easily.
First of all, I'm here. Just soaking in the dialogue and watching games.

Secondly, my argument for a 1st round SAM is that it would have to be a player who could put his hand on the ground and be a DE on 3rd down. Last year, I was psyched about the prospect of getting Cliff Avril from Purdue since he had played LB his Junior year and was a DE his Senior year. The Lions drafted him in the 3rd round (so that means there's probably NO way I'd draft a SAM in the 1st).

Thirdly, I posted a couple of months ago that I liked Aaron Curry in the 3rd round (now he's a top 15 pick on some boards). So, it seems rather silly to start forcasting who I'd want when. Therefore, I've been laying low.

Fourth, I've come to some of the same conclusions that I see you guys have. We need to address our ability to play smash mouth football and convert 3rd and 2 by running the ball down the defenses' throat. The C position is one that I've been looking to establish for a while and I've got my eye on Alabama's Antoine Caldwell. Getting a mauler at RG would be nice too. Of course there's the idea of "light" OL in the later rounds under a Gibbs ZBS, but I wouldn't mind toying with the idea of putting a college OT with some size at the RG position (much like Philly did with Shawn Andrews). I've also stated before that I'm a big James Davis fan, but with Slaton on the roster, I'm not sure if I would go that route now. Looking at a kid who's 5'10" and 235lbs makes me happy at Iowa, I'm just not sure what round he'd be available in (Shonn Greene).

Next there is the issue of the QB. Sage has shown what he is. Schaub hasn't overwhelmed me with his decision making either. Since Matt Stafford is probably a pipe dream, I'll be watching Mark Sanchez in his bowl game closely. Maybe he's a guy we can groom to replace Schaub down the road.

Last, but not least, we have to look at the defense. A DE, a DT, a LB, a CB, and a FS would be nice. Not necessarily in that order. Here are some names: Derek Walker (Illinois), Corvey Irvin (Georgia), Clint Sintim (Virginia), Keenan Lewis (Oregon St), Courtney Greene (Rutgers).
Old 12-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Pro Bowler

It is really hard to speculate until the juniors declare, but I like your thinking.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Veteran Depth

Wow, I am happy to see you back Roy !!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
1 Orakpo DE That is a 1st day pick he is beating on this video
2 BJ Raji DT Against Notre Dame
3 Zack Follett LB Last years highlights
4 Nick Harris S
5 Ron Brace DT
6 Chase Daniel QB
7 Jorvorskie Lane RB/FB

A guy I would look real hard at for round 1
With the motivation of NFL dollars, Lane just showed up for the shrine game 5'10" and 295.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
With the motivation of NFL dollars, Lane just showed up for the shrine game 5'10" and 295.
Now that is a BIG running back. Talk about eating yourself out of the league.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
As we start into the month of November (where has this year gone?), my opinion is still a big strong quick MLB and a DE, would be my first two picks in the draft, barring something happening in FA in the meantime.
Watch Jason Phillips in the Shrine game this weekend. He's comparable to Laurinitis, but could be drafted in the 5th round. That's what happens when you don't play for The Ohio State University.