IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports

Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
All-Pro

Default An Aggie-Longhorn Cotton Bowl?

Aggies. Longhorns. Jerry World.

It could happen in early January if the Big XII and the SEC put this together.

Currently both conferences figure to put two teams in BCS bowls if undefeated Kansas St. plays for the national championship game, the Fiesta will probably opt for two-loss Oklahoma.

Alabama, despite its loss to A&M, still has the most open door to an SEC title and the Sugar Bowl while one more SEC team from a group of five will almost surely get one of the BCS wild card spots. For grins, let's say it's the Fiesta Bowl opposite Oklahoma.

Next in the Big XII pecking order is the Cotton Bowl which will likely take a three-loss Texas (assuming a loss to K-St in December) over Oklahoma St. or Texas Tech, two schools that lost to Texas during the season.

Next in the SEC pecking order is the Capital One Bowl but you can throw a blanket over the top six SEC teams - Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, South Carolina and Texas A&M - and figure any of them could go anywhere.

The Aggies might be too popular after their upset and be grabbed by the Fiesta, the Capitol One Bowl or the Outback Bowl before the Cotton Bowl makes their choice but since all those bowls are based in Florida, you can expect them to favor SEC East schools that would more easily make the trip.

So you could easily see the Cotton Bowl taking the two-loss Aggies for the obvious sell-out that would happen if the Aggies and Horns would meet on the field with a Cotton Bowl Trophy on the line. Talk about a moneymaker!

Wouldn't shock me at all if Jerry is already making sure those Florida bowls pass on A&M so he can put this baby on in prime time.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Regular Starter

On the SEC side, after the BCS and the Capital One bowls make their selections the Outback Bowl has first pick from the remaining Eastern Division teams and the Cotton Bowl has first pick from the remaining Western Division teams. If the Outback Bowl wants a team from the West it has to wait until after the Cotton Bowl picks. So if the Cotton Bowl wants A&M, it only has to worry about whichever BCS bowl has an at-large spot to fill and the Capital One Bowl.

I wonder, though, if DeLoss Dodds will pull whatever strings he can so that the pieces don't fall into place. He's refused to schedule A&M in any sport and I don't think he'd see much upside to this particular matchup.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM
All-Pro

I don't think Dodds will be able to justify going to a lesser bowl since it's a pretty far fall financially from the Cotton Bowl to other lesser bowls. I doubt he has the juice to deny A&M a berth if the bowl committee wants it, Jerry wants it and ESPN wants it. And why would they not want it?

Actually, the best way for Texas to screw this up is either to lose to both TCU and Kansas St. to close the season (possible but not probable) or to actually beat Kansas St. That would knock the Wildcats out of the national championship game and possibly knock Oklahoma out of a BCS bowl thus moving them to the Cotton Bowl and Texas to a lesser bowl (yes, by beating the #1 team in the country, they drop a slot in the bowls).

It's also possible that Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma St. which could vault a two-loss Texas past Oklahoma.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Pro Bowler

I don't think Mack Brown would endorse this either. He would be worried about the damage it would do in recruiting when/if aTM thrashes them.

As an outsider, I would LOVE to see them match up, if nothing else than to listen to one side or the other talk about the results. That would be good entertainment, probably better than the game would be.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
All-Pro

I'd love to see that game. May the best team win.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
All-Pro

Looks like Aggie fans are getting the Sooners instead since Northern Illinois snuck in to get the last BCS bid, forcing OU out of the mix and dropping Texas to the Alamo Bowl.