Pro Bowler

Default Wade Phillips is the new DC

Reported by ABC.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Pro Bowler

Shocker!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
All-Pro

That didn't take long. I'm sure Bum is happy.

I'm still wondering whether the defense becomes a 3-4 or stays a 4-3.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Regular Starter

I guess I missed when all those other candidates Bob and Gary told us they would be interviewing came to town. Gotta love the due diligence of this bunch. Of course, with their track record of success on defense, why waste time interviewing more than 1 person? Clearly, they know what they are doing.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
All-Pro

Wade is dening that he has been offered the job. He is coming in for an inverview tomorrow.

According to John McClain
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Regular Starter

Good for Wade and good for us!

Do I need to mention Dom Capers success as a DC verses a HC?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Pro Bowler

Very good move if/when it happens. I just hate having him be next in command if Kubiak gets fired mid-year next year.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Very good move if/when it happens. I just hate having him be next in command if Kubiak gets fired mid-year next year.
I hear ya, but if Kubiak is fired mid-season next year........does it really matter?

There is a little denial going on right now, IMO, it just doesn't matter. This deal was likely done prior to the final whistle on Sunday.

Side note - McClain's twitter page indcated that Kubiak DID have a conversaton with Marvin Lewis last night, of course, that is a mute point since he resigned to be the HC for the Bungles.....
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about this. It would take a 1-7 start, players quitting on him, his mother disowning him, etc. for Bob to pull the plug..... Bob's MO is patience....
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM
All-Pro

So let me get this straight, in order to show the fans that the team is prepared to act in order to repair the worst defense in recent history (and an offense that simply could not score in the first half) they are going to hire as Defensive Coordinator a 65 year old failure whose preferred scheme does not fit the current roster, at all?

This is nothing more than a cynical PR move to feed some red meat to the Don't Mess With Texas crowd. What utter bullshit. This franchise is a joke.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So let me get this straight, in order to show the fans that the team is prepared to act in order to repair the worst defense in recent history (and an offense that simply could not score in the first half) they are going to hire as Defensive Coordinator a 65 year old failure whose preferred scheme does not fit the current roster, at all?

This is nothing more than a cynical PR move to feed some red meat to the Don't Mess With Texas crowd. What utter bullshit. This franchise is a joke.
So True.

A good Ol boy(McNair) hires a good Ol boy(Kubes) that hires another good Ol boy(Wade).....great plan.

When McNair said it was about having the 3rd best offense during my lunch, I almost spit up coke, wtf is he talking about......it's harder to say that he extended him three more years last year and he's not about to give that up!

And if we have all these players' coaches who's gonna jump on their ass when they screw up??

Wake me up when McNair's done with his wet dream...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
All-Pro

here is a nice bio on Wade in case interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Phillips
Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
All-Pro

I am hoping these reports are greatly exagerated. Early speculation to sell newspapers. I really don't want Wade to come here. The mindset is to get somebody with DC experience instead of hiring a position coach. With other teams possibly replacing HC positions, then Rob Ryan or Mike Nolan could become available. Running a 3-4 sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Connor Barwin & Mark Anderson are athletic enough to play OLB. We just would need a NT. We've needed a NT since Seth Payne left to clog up the middle & he wasn't a 'typical' Nose. With Pitt & N.E. having Bye weeks, I'd be interviewing some LB coaches, Line Coaches, Secondary coaches; just to hear some ideas. Just sayin.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Running a 3-4 sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Connor Barwin & Mark Anderson are athletic enough to play OLB.
Man. Not only would any TE on any NFL roster torch an OLB tandem of Barwin and Mark Anderson, Demeco and Cushing are particularly unsuited to be ILBs in a 3-4. And I won't even bother telling you that Mario is a prototypical 4-3 DE and has no real place in a 3-4 because I know you already know that. There is literally no safety on the roster who can cover a Left Tackle and you want Barwin and Anderson at OLB? Wow. Peyton manning would redefine the word 'abuse.'

At least you're not echoing Wade's dad who said that he'd try Amobi at OLB.

Everywhere I turn it's the lunatics running the asylum.

Look, I'd be delighted to have a defense that looks like New England's, a hybrid that shifts (moving quickly I initially typed 'shits' - we already have a defense that does that...) and morphs unpredictably in response to down, distance, offensive personnel, etc. I wouldn't mind moving Mario around and showing different looks and confusing the hell out of QBs all over the league. The problem is relatively speaking Belichick is a Harvard PhD and the goons running the Texans are paste-eating, finger-painting Aggies. Actually, in certain instances this is literally true.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 AM
All-Pro

It should be noted that Wade Phillips was a former HC in Denver (the one between Reeves and Shanahan) and this was likely around the time Kubiak began coaching with the Broncos, so there is already familiarity between the two.

That said, I still don't like the fact that neither one displays much toughness which is why their teams underachieve, particularly in clutch situations.

OTOH, reports out of SF are that the 49er players were "scared" of Singletary and didn't play well because they were too afraid of his ranting and screaming and became "tight". Singletary's famous coaching introduction where he dropped trou to show his players what he expected of them may not have been his only creative locker room motivator (don't know if he ever ate a worm like his Baylor mentor Grant Teaff did).

Antics aside, give me a coach with Singletary's fire. If players are scared of him, then dangit, they ought to be more motivated, not less. Cry babies.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Pro Bowler

Wade Phillips a failure? Yes, as head coach.

As a defensive coordinator? He's proven to be really, really good.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
It should be noted that Wade Phillips was a former HC in Denver (the one between Reeves and Shanahan) and this was likely around the time Kubiak began coaching with the Broncos, so there is already familiarity between the two.

That said, I still don't like the fact that neither one displays much toughness which is why their teams underachieve, particularly in clutch situations.

OTOH, reports out of SF are that the 49er players were "scared" of Singletary and didn't play well because they were too afraid of his ranting and screaming and became "tight". Singletary's famous coaching introduction where he dropped trou to show his players what he expected of them may not have been his only creative locker room motivator (don't know if he ever ate a worm like his Baylor mentor Grant Teaff did).

Antics aside, give me a coach with Singletary's fire. If players are scared of him, then dangit, they ought to be more motivated, not less. Cry babies.
Kubiak would have met Wade back in the 70's when Gary was the ball boy and Wade was the DL coach for the Oilers. The next time they crossed paths Gary was a backup QB and Wade was the DC in Denver back in 1989. Gary played in Denver through 1991 when he retired from playing to go into coaching.

They have not been on the same team since.

As for you guys bitching about position coaches, why don't we wait to see who they hire and also wait to see which players they acquire to install the new defense.

Sounds to me like they will be active in free agency, maybe not going after the huge names but going after solid vets that can play now.

Want to make a huge splash to the players? Trade away Mario and Cushing.

One last prediction I have, Pollard is not resigned
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
As for you guys bitching about position coaches, why don't we wait to see who they hire and also wait to see which players they acquire to install the new defense.

Sounds to me like they will be active in free agency, maybe not going after the huge names but going after solid vets that can play now.

Want to make a huge splash to the players? Trade away Mario and Cushing.

One last prediction I have, Pollard is not resigned
I am not 'bitching' about position coaches. I'd like to interview some position coaches for the DC job. The Steelers & Patriots have guys that would meet the requirements of the Rooney Rule and would also bring some ideas to the table. It's nice to get some different opinions on how somebody might best utilize our talent and hearing some philosophical points. I would want to talk to Rob Ryan and Mike Nolan as soon as those situations settle, the new coaches may or may not retain their services. Winston Moss, Darren Perry, Pepper Johnson, John Mitchell, Keith Butler, along with Ryan & Nolan are all guys I'd like to pick their brain.

Free Agency should be used to fortify weak areas on the roster. So, a S, CB, NT should be on the list.

Maybe moving a Cushing, Williams, Pollard, Okoye, Antonio Smith wouldn't be a bad idea if there could be some return. Cushing plays like a mortal without his Performance Enhancers. Okoye has essentially been a bust that we have continued to wait to develop. I'm not sure A. Smith would be a good 3/4 DE or not. There really wasn't much 'good' happening this season defensively, so I'm very open to blowing the whole damn thing up. Fire Bill Kollar too while we're at it.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Regular Starter

exactly, my problem is that they don't interview a number of candidates and listen to all the opintion and insight. F-, i hate this sh-t. i need a drink
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
All-Pro

Just as a point of order, the Rooney Rule only applies to head coaches, not the assistants. Since we've already determined who the head coach is, the Rooney Rule isn't applicable.