IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
All-Pro

Default Stanford Routt, anyone?

The former Houston Cougar was released by the Raiders and is now a free agent:

ESPN.com

Realistically, I don't think we go after anybody until we've settled our issues with Mario and Foster but I'd love to upgrade the secondary some more.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
The former Houston Cougar was released by the Raiders and is now a free agent:

ESPN.com

Realistically, I don't think we go after anybody until we've settled our issues with Mario and Foster but I'd love to upgrade the secondary some more.
Always interested in an upgrade, but also agree that they need to take care of our FA first then look outside.

But I would find out what his side is thinking in the way of money.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Pro Bowler

If there is to be a FA in our future, most think it will be a WR. However, Routt would probably help relieve a chronic sore spot in our secondary if he is still healthy.

Last edited by NBT; 02-20-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Pro Bowler

Texans will be small players in FA this year, IMO. We'll be lucky to see a mid-level FA signed, let alone someone as expensive as this guy will likely be.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Texans will be small players in FA this year, IMO. We'll be lucky to see a mid-level FA signed, let alone someone as expensive as this guy will likely be.
So not much chance the Texans make a real good faith effort to sign free agent Jason Allen ?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Pro Bowler

@JasonLaCanfora: CB Stanford Routt visiting BUF today, KC Tues & HOU, DAL, TEN later in week
Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
@JasonLaCanfora: CB Stanford Routt visiting BUF today, KC Tues & HOU, DAL, TEN later in week
The problem as I see it is that we are so tight to the cap (one of the 5 teams with the least cap space), so that will make it virtually impossible to compete for his services and still have a chance of signing a couple of our own guys that will be pricy to sign. Really a shame as I think he would be the piece that makes the back end of the defense complete.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Pro Bowler

The only way I see this happening is if Routt gives the Texans a hometown discount. Keep in mind, Routt still gets his $20MM from the Raiders so it's conceivable he might give a discount to come to a team that has a young, talented D and is a Super Bowl contender - especially one in his hometown. Of course, it would most likey come at the expense of a veteran cut (Demeco, Walter) and/or losing a FA or two (Dressen, Briesel, etc.)
Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Signed with Chiefs

From PFT:
Every once in a while, we throw a dart that bounces off the ceiling, ricochets off some dude’s head, and hits the target.

Earlier today, we reported that cornerback Stanford Routt would be picking a new team soon, and I guessed that he’d pick the Chiefs.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, he has. The source says it’s a three-year deal worth just under $20 million.

That’s less than $5 million more than Routt ultimately earned for one year in Oakland.

Routt had visited the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals since being cut by the Raiders.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
So much for his gttting around to visiting with Houston.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
So much for his gttting around to visiting with Houston.
That is too bad that he didn't get to us. I'm not sure how we saw him, but I think he would have been a pretty good #2 CB and 20 mill seems to be in the right ballpark. Fairly young guy, exprienced, has skills priced well and at a position of need. Sounds like what we would want to me.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
All-Pro

The fact that the Chiefs signed him makes me think the Chiefs will not try to re-sign Brandon Carr whom many rate as the better FA target. Although, again, I don't see us making any major move until we've settled our own situations with Mario, Foster and possibly Meyers.