IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM
All-Pro

Default Two Players In The Draft I Hope Texans Consider

Obviously, the Texans want players who will best meet their needs but here are two players I hope the Texans give consideration because of a special talent they would bring to the Texans:

Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo - This kid reminds me more of the early Steve McNair more than Deshaun Watson but his skillset is so similar to Watson's that he can come in to the same offense Watson runs should he ever get injured again and not miss a beat. After 2-3 years, Jackson can either take over for Watson or be fantastic trade bait depending on how it plays out.

Highlights here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JL547ScXQ

Early projection: Round 2-4

Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson - Watson already has a go-to receiver in DeAndre Hopkins but adding his old college teammate to the mix can't hurt. Renfrow has excellent hands and gets open regularly. Renfrow is not an elite burner but I think he can quickly be a trusted option for Watson on 3rd and 4th downs particularly. Because of Hopkins, Renfrow will probably never face double coverage as a Texan.

2016 Highlights here (with Watson as QB):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_QIl5Yr14k

Early projection: Round 4-6
Old 02-10-2019, 01:30 AM
All-Pro

Think about all of the thrilling reverses and end-arounds the Texans could install with Renfrow on the team.

If there's not a left handed quarterback on offer instead, hey, I'm in.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 AM
All-Pro

Yeah but the old coaching staff that ran the "slow white boy reverse" is no longer in Houston. And we no longer have a left-handed starting QB. But thanks for playing.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Regular Starter

I'm also a Renfrow fan...but I would not be surprised to see New England snag him earlier than most would take him.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
I'm also a Renfrow fan...but I would not be surprised to see New England snag him earlier than most would take him.
Last year NE had a WR depth chart of...
Edelman (7th)
Hogan (undrafted)
Dorsett (acquired for their 3rd string QB)
Josh Gordon (acquired by swapping a 5th for a 7th)
Cordarelle Patterson (acquired by swapping a 5th for a 7th)

In the past they drafted plenty of WRs and they were all busts. These days I think they are confident in their ability to replenish their WR corp without spending much draft capital. They seem to have found a groove letting others miss on WRs and then acquiring those guys on the cheap. My guess is if the Patriots draft a WR, it will be at least a round late and not a round early.

I do like Renfrow. We have tried to be creative in creating a slot threat. We've drafted former QBs and receiving backs and plenty of undersized WRs, and we've mostly struck out. Coutee looks great but perpetually hurt. I'd be happy drafting a guy who already plays the slot and plays it well instead of a guy we project to play it.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:09 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

I do like Renfrow. We have tried to be creative in creating a slot threat. We've drafted former QBs and receiving backs and plenty of undersized WRs, and we've mostly struck out. Coutee looks great but perpetually hurt. I'd be happy drafting a guy who already plays the slot and plays it well instead of a guy we project to play it.
There may be better guys out there but why I want Renfrow is that he already has rapport and a history of success with Watson so the magic they had at Clemson could click again in the pros. Plus you know defenses will focus on stopping Hopkins so Renfrow should get single coverage. Plus, Renfrow has great hands.

The Texans had a third down problem last year. Too often Watson had to rely on a TE to make a catch and we had nobody who could make catches in tight spaces except Hopkins. I think Renfrow would be a big improvement and we won't need a high draft choice to take him either.