IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Roy sorry to grab your post to quote, but what is the issue with everyone thinking we are set at RB? As Roy pointed out in another post, Slaton is 5'10 203.
Dude,
I think you and I are on the same Donald Brown bandwagon. If we draft LeSean McCoy in the 1st round, I won't be too upset if Everette Brown and Aaron Curry are off the board. Brown, Greene, or possibly Jennings in the 2nd round would not get my feathers ruffled either. On the other hand, if we only come out of the draft/UDFAs with Gartrell Johnson added to the roster, I'll be a bit worried.

There may be some short yardage guys that have a little mass (larger than 215lbs) who could be added later on. However, I think the team could utilize another RB with some speed (who may be lighter than 215lbs). As you know, Jerious Norwood is my prototype #2 RB (or should I say 1b). A guy like Shonn Greene (if he were younger he'd be ranked higher) would be a "workhorse" that would allow Slaton to be the 3rd down back he was drafted to be.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Dude,
I think you and I are on the same Donald Brown bandwagon. If we draft LeSean McCoy in the 1st round, I won't be too upset if Everette Brown and Aaron Curry are off the board. Brown, Greene, or possibly Jennings in the 2nd round would not get my feathers ruffled either. On the other hand, if we only come out of the draft/UDFAs with Gartrell Johnson added to the roster, I'll be a bit worried.

There may be some short yardage guys that have a little mass (larger than 215lbs) who could be added later on. However, I think the team could utilize another RB with some speed (who may be lighter than 215lbs). As you know, Jerious Norwood is my prototype #2 RB (or should I say 1b). A guy like Shonn Greene (if he were younger he'd be ranked higher) would be a "workhorse" that would allow Slaton to be the 3rd down back he was drafted to be.
Heck I have been saying draft Brown in the 1st, so you know I like him. Jennings is the only other RB I like for day one.

You and I are on the same page with Greene, he is a 25 year old playing against college kids he should be tearing up. I do not see him running very well.

The kid from Pitt dances to much for me, so I do not see Kubiak jumping for him.

There are some very good late round RBs, and BTW as a UDFA to keep an eye out for is Chris Ogbonnaya, 6-0, 225, Texas. He will play anywhere the coach wants him to and should be a pretty good special teamer.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Heck I have been saying draft Brown in the 1st, so you know I like him. Jennings is the only other RB I like for day one.

You and I are on the same page with Greene, he is a 25 year old playing against college kids he should be tearing up. I do not see him running very well.

The kid from Pitt dances to much for me, so I do not see Kubiak jumping for him.

There are some very good late round RBs, and BTW as a UDFA to keep an eye out for is Chris Ogbonnaya, 6-0, 225, Texas. He will play anywhere the coach wants him to and should be a pretty good special teamer.
Im another that has been pimpin Brown for awhile now. Love the way he runs. I have to dissagree with youre assesment of McCoy though. I watched Pitt as many times as I could (scouting McKillop). McCoy impressed me alot. Its not like Pitt had alot of weapons to take the some of the pressure off McCoy. Most teams loaded up to stop McCoy and he still rushed for 4.8 per and 21 TD's. He is perfect for our ZB system IMO. He is every bit the RB Slaton was coming out and more. He hits the hole faster and is a stronger runner up the middle. In fact I bet he turns out a better pro than Wells or Moreno. That is why he is the #1 RB on my board.

If we take McCoy or Maclin at 15 I wont be upset.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:35 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
I hope Draftek is wrong in what is available in some rounds. Based on their consensus, I would pick:

1. Aaron Maybin
2. Paul Kruger
3. Andy Levitre
4. Nic Harris
5. Pat White
6. Devin Moore
7. Gartrell Johnson

I know White is really small, but he had great pocket presence, NFL arm and electrifying feet in the Senior Bowl. He really wants to play QB. He could eventually be our backup qb, after this next season. I think Kubiak could use him in spots as a change of pace. Again, if he could keep from getting killed, he is quite a weapon.

Maybin, I think, would be high risk, high reward. I think Kruger in the 2nd would be excellent.

Devin Moore is small, but with great speed. Could rotate in for Slaton some. I think Gartrell Johnson would be a good value pick at 7. A 7th round pick that could actuall see the field next year.

UFA - Jeremy Childs. I actually think Childs will be drafted after his combine. And I think he will run the 40 in the 4.4's. This guy catches every type of pass. He comes down with the ball with defenders hanging all over him. He runs very crisp routes and can run away from most db's. He caught 80+ passes in 07 and 70+ passes in 08.
I really like that draft alot. If I were drafting my would go like this.

1. Jeremy Maclin WRF Missouri

All the impact D players are all gone so Im going BPA. Having that kind of speed opposite AJ is just too good to pass up. Lets see teams double AJ now.

2. Donald Brown RB Connecticut

This was a tough choice. Im very high on Victor Harris CB Virginia Tech. He is a playmaker at a position of need but Donald Brown will contribute more this year and Kubiack is in the win now or begone mode. Our offense depends on the run too much to go into the season without a real quality backup for the smallish Slaton.

3. Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose St

Finnally I go D. @ 6'6" 280 he squats 635 and deadlifts 655 and with a quick first step this guy could be a steal in the third round if coached up right.

4. Emanuel Cook SS South Carolina

I know we need a FS more but this guy is too good to pass up in the 4th round. He has been compared to Bob Sanders.

5. Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman

A project for sure but at 6'4" 328 and very athletic he is well worth a 5th round pick. Interesting side note, once pulled a man from a burning house.

6. Greg Isdaner OG West Virginia

Allready trained in the same ZB scheme we use and very good at it. Were vey lucky to get solid depth lioke this in the 6th round.

7. Gartrell Johnson RB Colorado State

Another late round value. Hey I know I already used one pick on the RB position but like I said earlier, our O depends on the run. If we cant run, we cant win. Example A: The 2008 Denver Broncos.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:

I think it's premature to assume that. First, Kubiak only needs to see that he has the physical ability and the willingness to be coached. His dancing may reflect a lot more on his situation. A good example of that is Deangelo Williams. He was considered a bit of a dancer in college and we still targeted him. Then, until last season, he was considered a dancer and a guy that wouldn't run inside. Clearly, the situation changed in Carolina and he became prolific between the tackles.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think it's premature to assume that. First, Kubiak only needs to see that he has the physical ability and the willingness to be coached. His dancing may reflect a lot more on his situation. A good example of that is Deangelo Williams. He was considered a bit of a dancer in college and we still targeted him. Then, until last season, he was considered a dancer and a guy that wouldn't run inside. Clearly, the situation changed in Carolina and he became prolific between the tackles.

That is a very good example.

Last edited by mussop; 02-10-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Veteran Depth

Drafttek has revised their mock, so here's a new Texans draft by GM Idymoe.

1. Matt Stafford
2. Kruger
3. Levitre
4. Rashad Johnson
5. Victor Butler
6. Devin Moore
7. Gartrell Johnson

I don't think there is any chance that Stafford is there at 15, but if he is, I think take him or trade down with him.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Texans draft by GM Idymoe.

1. Matt Stafford

I don't think there is any chance that Stafford is there at 15, but if he is, I think take him or trade down with him.
That is a bold move.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 PM
All-Pro

Yeah, then we could trade both Schaub and Rosenfels for more draft picks. looking a lot better in 09 now.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
That is a bold move.

It's easy to be bold behind a keyboard.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Drafttek has revised their mock, so here's a new Texans draft by GM Idymoe.

1. Matt Stafford
2. Kruger
3. Levitre
4. Rashad Johnson
5. Victor Butler
6. Devin Moore
7. Gartrell Johnson.
1. WR Jeremy Maclin
2. DE Paul Kruger
3. OLB Tyrone McKenzie
4. FS Rashad Johnson
5. QB John Parker Wilson
6. DT Darryl Richard
7. OG Greg Isdaner

FAs. RB P.J. Hill & Marlon Lucky
DE Will Davis, Stryker Sulak, Pierre Walters
DT Myron Pryor

Edited to reflect Richard in the 6th round.

Last edited by Roy P; 02-19-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Veteran Depth

I would have taken Peerman, too, in the 6th, but Draftek had San Diego taking him in the 5th.

I wish I could find some footage on Devin Moore. The only thing I can find is a 90+ yd kickoff return for a td.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do you ever watch the games when Indy plays us. Maybin is larger than Mathis, who plays on the strong side DE on passing downs. If they identify him as a very good pass rusher, I don't think the fact that his size might force him off the field during short yardage is an issue at all!
Dale, we've bumped heads before on issues. We just don't see things the same way. But I will say that right now, as Drafts go, Kubiak and Smith are no Dungy and Polian!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I would have taken Peerman, too, in the 6th, but Draftek had San Diego taking him in the 5th.
Oops, I missed that. I guess I'd have to take DT Darryl Richard in the 5th round then. That means that Lucky and P.J. Hill would be that much more important in Free Agency after the draft.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Dale, we've bumped heads before on issues. We just don't see things the same way. But I will say that right now, as Drafts go, Kubiak and Smith are no Dungy and Polian!

Perhaps Maybin won't be a good DE. I honestly don't know. What I do know, and what the Mathis example proves, is that a DE can be effective and weigh around 240 lbs. I just don't want players dismissed simply because of a three digit number. I would hope that our talent evaluaters and coaches take a broader perspective when shaping the team and don't have silly guidelines like weight and heighth minimums.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Perhaps Maybin won't be a good DE.

I would hope that our talent evaluaters and coaches take a broader perspective when shaping the team and don't have silly guidelines like weight and heighth minimums.
Guidelines are simply there to be used as a reference. There are always exceptions to the rule, that doesn't make the rule a bad thing. Just something to keep in mind when looking at a player that doesn't fit the 'mold' that we've seen be successful before.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Veteran Depth

Latest iteration as of 2/20.

1. Matt Stafford - I'll be glad when they make him unavailable at 15, so I can make a pick with a chance of being there.

2. Louis Delmas - Kruger is not available anymore. Put some fear in some wr's.

3. Andy Levitre

4. Andre Brown - Now available here.

5. Pat White - also consider Bear Pascoe and Cory Irvin

6. Devin Moore - Still looking for video - also consider Quinn Johnson FB LSU

7. Michael Bennett - Still like Gartrell Johnson, but got Andre Brown now.

Really heavy offensive draft. Will change as Draftek becomes more realistic.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Veteran Depth

This is as of 2/27 when some scouts have given their post combine opinions.

1. Peria Jerry - Matt Staffard is still available, but I'm tired of this unrealistic pick.

2. Paul Kruger - Really hope this plays out

3. Andre Brown - So far, so good.

4. Mike Thomas - Roy's gotta like at least one of my picks.

4. Lawrence Sidbury - Pick from Minne

5. Bear Pascoe

6. Chris Clemons - FS - Good combine

7. Kaluka Maiava - Another linebacker from USC whose last name starts with M and ends with A.

This draft is pretty heavy on defense, but my favorite, so far.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
This is as of 2/27 when some scouts have given their post combine opinions.

1. Peria Jerry - Matt Staffard is still available, but I'm tired of this unrealistic pick.

This draft is pretty heavy on defense, but my favorite, so far.

Roy was talking about a scout who thought Jerry was missed cast as a DT, he was thinking you have Jerry lose some weight and play the DE. So this might not be as far fetched as it looks.

I agree the overall draft is digestible.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
All-Pro

Draft tek has us taking
Quote:
15 Aaron Maybin OLB43 Penn State
46 Max Unger OG Oregon
77 Mitch King DE43 Iowa
108 James Casey TE Rice
118 James Davis RBF Clemson
144 Christopher Owens CB San Jose St
175 Clinton McDonald DT43 Memphis State
204 Curtis Painter QB Purdue