IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Whoa, I've been a fan of Savage for, pfft, at least 5 minutes....

Big arm, tall... sounds like OB has his project....
Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 PM
All-Pro

I like the pick and I like that we waited. BOB can attempt to develop him with no pressure to force him if he doesn't work. A risk free QB with a big arm that will not keep us from pursuing other QB solutions. And waiting allowed us to get 4 very good players that will help if we ever have the QB we need.

If you didn't believe there was a QB worth drafting at 1.1 then this was the best possible outcome.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:03 PM
All-Pro

He was the "Ryan Nassib" of this draft. Everyone talked about him as a 5th rounder then as we got closer to draft day, there were rumors he could be a 1st rounder and 5-7 QBs could go in the 1st round. I know he transferred from Rutgers and Arizona to wind up at Pitt. He didn't want to compete with The Eagles' QB Foles (who played very well last year for Chip Kelly). He sort of reminds me of Joe Flacco (who also transferred to leave Pitt when he didn't want to compete there with Drew Brees' backup).

There's no pressure with being the 4th rounder.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
When did we get scooped on a QB? Maybe your mock draft got scooped, but is there anything to indicate we wanted any other QB or got out maneuvered a single time?
I'm not in the war room, barrett, but I'd say the Texan brass blinked a little when Bridgewater went one pick before their pick and Garropolo went 2 picks before their pick...

Maybe you have information to the contrary?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I like the pick and I like that we waited. BOB can attempt to develop him with no pressure to force him if he doesn't work. A risk free QB with a big arm that will not keep us from pursuing other QB solutions. And waiting allowed us to get 4 very good players that will help if we ever have the QB we need.

If you didn't believe there was a QB worth drafting at 1.1 then this was the best possible outcome.
Agree with this.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I'm not in the war room, barrett, but I'd say the Texan brass blinked a little when Bridgewater went one pick before their pick and Garropolo went 2 picks before their pick...

Maybe you have information to the contrary?
I never saw anything that indicates we had any interest in Bridgewater. It seems of the 3, he was the least likely. Sure, they could have hid their interest, but sitting at 33 shows a lack of interest in Bridgewater more than it does getting "scooped." I am sure the Texans knew a trade up was in play for half a dozen teams from picks 23-32, and yet they sat and watched. That does not look like a team that got scooped. It looks like a team that didn't want Teddy Bridgewater.

If he had lasted to 33 do you think we would have picked him? I think we would have traded down with someone who wanted him.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
He was the "Ryan Nassib" of this draft. Everyone talked about him as a 5th rounder then as we got closer to draft day, there were rumors he could be a 1st rounder and 5-7 QBs could go in the 1st round. I know he transferred from Rutgers and Arizona to wind up at Pitt. He didn't want to compete with The Eagles' QB Foles (who played very well last year for Chip Kelly). He sort of reminds me of Joe Flacco (who also transferred to leave Pitt when he didn't want to compete there with Drew Brees' backup).

There's no pressure with being the 4th rounder.
Savage left Arizona because they hired Rich Rodriguez, whose offenses are built around running QBs like Pat White at West Virginia. Foles was gone by the time he would've been eligible to play there.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Pro Bowler

Soooo much happier with a prospect like Savage over Mallett.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
All-Pro

Now we have drafted a NT and QB, I'd like to get an ILB. Jordan Tripp would be nice or even Avery Williamson or Ronald Powell. Just saying.

Can't believe DT Caraun Reid is still on the board.

Thanks for the info, Warren. I stand corrected.

Me too, Popanot
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Regular Starter

The case against drafting QBs on Day 3 from Bears GM Phil Emery:
Quote:
"I just did a little study. It's very interesting," Emery said. "That developmental theory doesn't hold a whole lot of water. There's entire classes of quarterbacks, since '06, I went back and looked at from Jay's on -- when people say developmental quarterbacks, OK, so who has gotten developed? There isn't a single quarterback after the third round since 2006 that has been a long-term starter. So you're either developing thirds, and most of them have been wiped out of the league. So to get a quality quarterback, you've got to draft them high. That 2012 class is a blip on the radar that's unusual, highly unusual.

"Most of the starters in this league come from the first and second round. So that's where you need to take a quarterback. So when you talk about quarterback every year, they have to be somebody that you truly believe will beat out the second and third quarterback that you perceive on your roster. And if not, history shows that you shouldn't make that pick."
I still think it's worth a shot, though.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I never saw anything that indicates we had any interest in Bridgewater. It seems of the 3, he was the least likely. Sure, they could have hid their interest, but sitting at 33 shows a lack of interest in Bridgewater more than it does getting "scooped." I am sure the Texans knew a trade up was in play for half a dozen teams from picks 23-32, and yet they sat and watched. That does not look like a team that got scooped. It looks like a team that didn't want Teddy Bridgewater.

If he had lasted to 33 do you think we would have picked him? I think we would have traded down with someone who wanted him.
It was initially a joke. Did you not see the groaning in this forum when we got "scooped"?
Administrator

From what I've heard... Texans would have considered moving up if Bortles began to slip. And they had interest next in Garappolo, so if anything, the Pats jumped in front to take him.

Aside from that, they gave up their 5th to move up for Nix... evidence they had a small cluster of guys they figured one of which would be there at 4.35.

I would have preferred McCarron myself, but given the team liked Bortles over Bridgewater, it doesn't surprise me they liked Savage over McCarron (or Murray or any other QB still on the board).

I don't get why O'Brien favors these big guys with strong arms (Mallett, too maybe) when he says he wants a smart guy making good decisions. Savage is a project. He is projectable and maybe he develops, but if he plays significant snaps in 2014, the team won't be winning a lot of games. Give him a year, which should be easy as a late 4th.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Regular Starter

I really like the pick too, but it makes Mallett now a bit redundant. Savage offers the same arm strength with more mobility than Mallett.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Now we have drafted a NT and QB, I'd like to get an ILB. Jordan Tripp would be nice or even Avery Williamson or Ronald Powell. Just saying.

Can't believe DT Caraun Reid is still on the board.

Thanks for the info, Warren. I stand corrected.

Me too, Popanot
Rick Smith made a fairly strong hint in a Q-&-A the other day that Reed is now likely to go inside next to Cushing since we've now got JD & Mercilus at OLB.
OK so I'm wondering about O'brien's possible interest in a slot receiver in the Texans remaining picks, a subject/position he's been known to talk about.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:28 PM
All-Pro

I think this Coach has in his mind the type of QB he wants. Savage is a Fitzpatrick clone. Very strong arm. Savage played horrible early in the year and got better near the end of the season. He took time to learn the new offense since he had not played with Pitt having transferred from Rutgers and Arizona. I believe the plan is Fitzpatrick starts the season until Savage gets up to speed. Meanwhile, improving the OL with Xavier, improving the NT position with Nix, taking the most talented player in Clowney, and getting the best TE in the draft to play in this Offense makes the team better.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Rick Smith made a fairly strong hint in a Q-&-A the other day that Reed is now likely to go inside next to Cushing since we've now got JD & Mercilus at OLB.
OK so I'm wondering about O'brien's possible interest in a slot receiver in the Texans remaining picks, a subject/position he's been known to talk about.
Okay, with that in mind

WR Michael Campanaro Wake Forest 5' 9" 192 4.46 6.77 4.01 39 20 10' 2"

What about another RB or TE?

RB Lache Seastrunk Baylor
RB Tyler Gaffney Stanford
TE Arthur Lynch Georgia
RB David Fluellen Toledo
RB George Atkinson Notre Dame

Miami took my Bulldog TE. Really happy we got Feidorowicz now.

Last edited by Roy P; 05-10-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Hall of Fame

4th round in the books (w/ESPN grade):

1 Jaylen Watkins DB Eagles 70
2 Bashaud Breeland DB Redskins 75
3 Devonta Freeman RB Falcons 71
4 Jalen Saunders WR Jets 61
5 Bryan Stork C Patriots 48
6 Bruce Ellington WR 49ers 79
7 Justin Ellis DT Raiders 66
8 Cassius Marsh DE Seahawks 50
9 Ross Cockrell DB Bills 59
10 Maurice Alexander S Rams 48
11 Russell Bodine C Bengals 69
12 DaQuan Jones DT Titans 71
13 Andre Williams RB Giants 69
14 Aaron Colvin DB Jaguars 69
15 Shaq Evans WR Jets 57
16 Keith McGill DB Raiders 73
17 Ka'Deem Carey RB Bears 61
18 Martavis Bryant WR Steelers 76
19 Anthony Hitchens OLB Cowboys 30
20 Logan Thomas QB Cardinals 61
21 Carl Bradford OLB Packers 64
22 Marqueston Huff DB Titans 66
23 Kevin Norwood WR Seahawks 66
24 De'Anthony Thomas RB Chiefs 65
25 Walt Aikens DB Dolphins 51
26 Khairi Fortt OLB Saints 49
27 Pierre Desir DB Browns 72
28 Tre Boston S Panthers 57
29 Dontae Johnson DB 49ers 68
30 James White RB Patriots 38
31 Brock Vereen S Bears 67
32 Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB Seahawks 39
33 Nevin Lawson DB Lions 60
34 Brent Urban DT Ravens 76
35 Tom Savage QB Texans 75
36 Larry Webster DE Lions 54
37 Dakota Dozier OT Jets 40
38 Lorenzo Taliaferro RB Ravens 42
39 Prince Shembo OLB Falcons 52
40 Cameron Fleming OT Patriots 60
Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM
All-Pro

I'd like a RB. We have 1 guy coming off of back surgery (has any RB recovered from that), and the other guy is less durable then the guy with back surgery.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
It was initially a joke. Did you not see the groaning in this forum when we got "scooped"?
Got it. .
Old 05-10-2014, 01:51 PM
All-Pro

RB or CB. You can never have too many guys competing for a CB spot.