IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Default 2014 Draft Prospect QB Derek Carr

David Carr's younger brother Derek is a senior at Fresno State and is warranting consideration as a quarterback prospect in next year's draft.

If there is one name I hope the Texans have already removed from their draft board, please let it be this one. Watching Derek with David on the sideline of tonight's Fresno v Boise game is basically a cruel form of eye vomit.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 AM
All-Pro

Presently, QB does not look like even a remote need for this team unless Schaub gets another Lisfranc injury or Yates becomes trade bait.

I can't even tell you where the Texans would target their first round pick at this point although OLB and OT may be the early favorites.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:44 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Presently, QB does not look like even a remote need for this team unless Schaub gets another Lisfranc injury or Yates becomes trade bait.

I can't even tell you where the Texans would target their first round pick at this point although OLB and OT may be the early favorites.
I am thinking the top need is a CB. Brice McCain has not played well the last two seasons, and he is the guy other teams target.

We also need to start the process of looking at life after JJo. Now if Harris takes a big step forward, and Bouye develops this could be a mute point, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I am thinking the top need is a CB. Brice McCain has not played well the last two seasons, and he is the guy other teams target.

We also need to start the process of looking at life after JJo. Now if Harris takes a big step forward, and Bouye develops this could be a mute point, but I am not holding my breath.
Ditto to this. KJ is going to be too expensive with Watt coming up, and neither McCain nor Harris can slide in that spot.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If there is one name I hope the Texans have already removed from their draft board, please let it be this one. Watching Derek with David on the sideline of tonight's Fresno v Boise game is basically a cruel form of eye vomit.
I'd be surprised if they haven't at least pushed him way down. McNair has been very candid about how their experience with the original D. Carr caused them to revise what they tell their scouts to look for as far as "football character."
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I don't know about that. Schaub is 32 (which is younger than I would have guessed) and his arm strength and mobility, which were never more than average, seem to be declining. Yates and Keenum had strong preseasons, but does one or both of them look like a future quality starter? I'm not ready to go that far.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM
All-Pro

When I watched the pre-season games, I was impressed with how much crisper Yates' passes looked than Schaub's. He could, if playing regularly, be a top QB in this system. Keenum has a stronger arm but is not as tall so he's get a lot of passes batted down if he played regularly
Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
McNair has been very candid about how their experience with the original D. Carr caused them to revise what they tell their scouts to look for as far as "football character."
Derek Carr radio interview on the possibility of being a Texan:
http://www.sports790.com/pages/prope...ticle=11879396

Summary... Derek loves "Mr. McNair" and Houston's fans. "Ironic" and "crazy", but Derek didn't seem to want to avoid the Texans.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 AM
All-Pro

Default Little Brother Derek says he's ready to be Texas QB if opportunity there

Quote:
"If I am there, they're going to get even more of a chip on my shoulder than there already is," said Derek, who played two years at Clements before finishing his high school career in Bakersfield, Calif. "Absolutely, I'd love to play for the Texans. They have a great team. They have a great offensive line - one of the best tackles in the game (in Duane Brown). I've thrown to Andre before, so the timing should be OK."
Through three days of Senior Bowl practices this week, Derek was the premier offensive athlete, outshining a collection of deep but otherwise unspectacular talent. During a cold, windy Tuesday, he threw bullets, stepping into tosses via a strong 6-3, 218-pound frame while smoothly alternating slant and sideline routes with deep outs.
Now, it's up to the best collegiate passer in the country last season to prove to pro personnel he's as viable as Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles - all of whom face major questions about their ability to become a franchise QB.

"I absolutely love this. I do. I want to give my son a nice backyard someday," Carr said. "All this isn't for me - I can promise you that. … It's not easy work. But I do it selflessly. It's not about me. It's for my faith and for my family. I'm going to continue to work hard and just see what happens."
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...ns-5169457.php
"Texas" instead of "Texans" in title. Can't believe I fat-fingered that.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM
All-Pro

The Chron article shifted my opinion. I think he *wants* to be a Texan. I suspect he believes he won't get the expansion treatment that his brother got and be able to, in a sense, avenge his brother's reputation here. I like that attitude. If he's there at 2-1 and we haven't filled the QB role with somebody else, that's a better option to me than Metzenberger, McCarron or Boyd.

Could you imagine a Clowney-Carr draft? I know, I know. Sounds like "Clown Car". But it would be an interesting summer with those two guys (and we sure need interesting summers in this town).
Old 01-25-2014, 12:10 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
The Chron article shifted my opinion. I think he *wants* to be a Texan. I suspect he believes he won't get the expansion treatment that his brother got and be able to, in a sense, avenge his brother's reputation here. I like that attitude. If he's there at 2-1 and we haven't filled the QB role with somebody else, that's a better option to me than Metzenberger, McCarron or Boyd.

Could you imagine a Clowney-Carr draft? I know, I know. Sounds like "Clown Car". But it would be an interesting summer with those two guys (and we sure need interesting summers in this town).
We also have not talked about the possibility of taking Clowney at 1-1, and then trading back into the 1st in the taking a QB in the 15 to 32 range. Also an exciting option.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:

If you want an interesting summer, draft Manziel. He also fills the attitude component. And he has the added bonus of maybe being the best QB in the draft.

Carr threw over 30% of his passes behind the line of scrimmage and was below average when throwing down the field.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
If you want an interesting summer, draft Manziel. He also fills the attitude component. And he has the added bonus of maybe being the best QB in the draft.
Will O'brien like Manziel's improvisational out-of-the-pocket style and his smallish size ? We will see ?
Quote:
Carr threw over 30% of his passes behind the line of scrimmage and was below average when throwing down the field.
Have you had the opportunity to watch the Senior Bowl practices from Mobile this week ? Carr has been the most impressive QB there and scouts report he's been very accurate with his passes, including those thrown vertically down field. If you can, catch the game today (3 - 6 NFLNet).
Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Will O'brien like Manziel's improvisational out-of-the-pocket style and his smallish size ? We will see ?

Have you had the opportunity to watch the Senior Bowl practices from Mobile this week ? Carr has been the most impressive QB there and scouts report he's been very accurate with his passes, including those thrown vertically down field. If you can, catch the game today (3 - 6 NFLNet).
Haven't watched any practices but have heard he has looked good. I've also heard that this is the weakest Senior Bowl in history and that there are only a handful of guys there that are potential 1st rounders. Time will tell but I think there was very little that took place when real games were actually played that would suggest Carr is a better football player than Manziel.

No idea how married O'Brien is to prototypical QB measurements. I think all Coaches are to a degree. I've heard people suggest that he is more stringent than others but the only evidence of this that I've heard is Brady and Hackenberg. I must say, I don't understand this. Brady was the best QB in the world when he got to NE and Hackenberg was the No. 1 high school QB in the country. All this tells me is he wants the best player he can get. I suspect if he thinks Manziel is the best option, he'll go with him.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If a quarterback really wants to be a Texan he has to be excellent at completing a seven yard pass on third and eight. How is Carr in that area?