IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default Official 2009 NFL Draft Pre-Round 1 Thread

It's here!!!! It's finally here!!1!!!

Use this thread to post any news and comments of the day prior to the start of round 1. We'll start a new thread once the picks start rolling in.

To get us started... the Lions have reportedly agreed to a monster contract with Matthew Stafford (6-yr, $41.7 million guaranteed, like $15M more than Mario) and appear ready to make him the #1 pick.

So who's #2? And will Aaron Curry fall? (please oh please...)
Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Jets are interested in moving up to get Mark Sanchez per Sal P. on the worldwide.

They'd have to move up pretty far from #17. The Jags at #8 are desperate to move down, but Sanchez could go long before their pick now. He is the talk of the first round now. I think a lot will be told about this draft once Seattle makes their pick at #4.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So who's #2? And will Aaron Curry fall? (please oh please...)
I still say Eugene Monroe at #2 and Curry will fall, perhaps all the way to #11. Perhaps, just to #4.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Jets are interested in moving up to get Mark Sanchez per Sal P. on the worldwide.

They'd have to move up pretty far from #17. The Jags at #8 are desperate to move down, but Sanchez could go long before their pick now. He is the talk of the first round now. I think a lot will be told about this draft once Seattle makes their pick at #4.
The Jets could probably trade up to SF and get Sanchez. Why they'd want him after getting rid of Pennington is anyone's guess. They'd probably be better off just getting Freeman, if they are desperate for a QB.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I still say Eugene Monroe at #2 and Curry will fall, perhaps all the way to #11. Perhaps, just to #4.
I'm a Chiefs fan (after the Texans), and I can't believe how many mocks I see where the Chiefs take Curry ? Dang the Chiefs are moving to the 3-4 and they are still trying to figure out what to do with 4-3 OLB Derrick Johnson, why would they want that problem all over again with another 4-3 OLB ?
I to see Curry dropping because I dunno why any 3-4 team would want to take him when they have no idea if he can rush the passer ?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm a Chiefs fan

I dunno why any 3-4 team would want to take him when they have no idea if he can rush the passer ?
So, why is anyone believing that you spend #3 money on Tyson Jackson? BJ Raji, I can see, but Tyson Jackson? Really?!?!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
So, why is anyone believing that you spend #3 money on Tyson Jackson? BJ Raji, I can see, but Tyson Jackson? Really?!?!
Yep, I've also seen those mocks where T Jackson (basically just another Marcus Spears) is #3 overall to the Chiefs ! I think its another testimony to what a weak draft we have this year and the need for all of these teams to find players who fit the 3-4 even though they aren't particularly talented.
Another thing about the Chiefs, they're gonna have to make a 3-4 DE out of Glen Dorsey, who in spite of his less than steller rookie year is an outstanding 3-technique 4-3 DT. What a waste.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Drafted Rookie

Tyler Dunne, of BuffaloFootballReport.com, reports the Buffalo Bills are one of four to five teams that have expressed "considerable interest" in Wake Forest S Chip Vaughn, according to a league source. (He'll be gone by our 3rd rounder)
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoneil View Post
Tyler Dunne, of BuffaloFootballReport.com, reports the Buffalo Bills are one of four to five teams that have expressed "considerable interest" in Wake Forest S Chip Vaughn, according to a league source. (He'll be gone by our 3rd rounder)
Yeah, I've seen the Bills fans talking him up. They had him on their radio station for an interview (much like us bringing in a guy to talk on 610) discussing his private work out, etc. I just wonder if Dante Whitner's getting tasered has made this a priority or if they are thinking about moving him into Ko Simpson's FS position.

On another note, Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk will be getting some nasty-grams from the Commisioner. Deion said that 30% of the league smokes pot and Marshall complimented Harvin by saying that he was like Wes Welker on Steroids. One might conclude that taking steroids would be a good way to improve your draft status - not the message the NFL wants to go along with "Keep Gym in School" and "Play 60" for America's youth.

Last edited by Roy P; 04-25-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:55 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
3-4 DE out of Glen Dorsey, who in spite of his less than steller rookie year is an outstanding 3-technique 4-3 DT. What a waste.
At 6'2" Glenn Dorsey will be in trouble at DE. They might be better off, trying to add some mass to his frame and making him the NT.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:56 AM
All-Pro

The Jets are trying to move up to #8 and trade with the Jags. They could want Sanchez, Crabtee, or possibly Maclin or Harvin. Hmm...
Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Veteran Depth

I heard that there is talk about the Patriots being interested in Malcom Jenkins and may look to trade up to get him. If he slides past Green Bay they may look to move above either New Orleans at 14 or San Diego at 16.

Its a situation that I thought could play very well into the Texans favor if things play out a certain way.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:15 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn View Post
If he slides past Green Bay they may look to move above either New Orleans at 14 or San Diego at 16.

Its a situation that I thought could play very well into the Texans favor if things play out a certain way.
Just as long as they are interested in Jenkins and not Matthews.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Just as long as they are interested in Jenkins and not Matthews.
To be honest with you... I'm fine with it either way. I do like Matthews and what he would bring to the table, but I also like the thought of adding Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin or Robert Ayers too. All of which could be available at #23 depending on how it shakes out.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn View Post
To be honest with you... I'm fine with it either way. I do like Matthews and what he would bring to the table, but I also like the thought of adding Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin or Robert Ayers too. All of which could be available at #23 depending on how it shakes out.
I'd have a hard time trading down if Everette Brown is still on the board. I believe that I'd just have to take him and be done with it. I have seen the mocks that have him sliding down, but I am having a hard time believing it.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
I'd have a hard time trading down if Everette Brown is still on the board. I believe that I'd just have to take him and be done with it. I have seen the mocks that have him sliding down, but I am having a hard time believing it.
I have been big on him from day one because of what I've seen of him in the games and it is hard to believe that he would slide due to that.... but if he can be had later and adding a 2nd round pick to boot, then I've got to go with the value there.

I also like Maybin and Ayers as well and would not be upset with either. I'm a build in the trenches guy so based where we are sitting with the 15th pick, inside out is good with me.... Unless Mark Sanchez is somewhere in reach.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
All-Pro

I could get behind Maybin, especially if we garnered an extra 3rd round pick. The latest buzz was that Maybin was sliding, so perhaps we could still get him at #24.

However, I'd be a little upset if we got Ayers in the 1st round. I started a thread a couple of months ago discussing the idea of Ayers as a 1st round pick, but after signing Antonio Smith, I see it as a duplication of effort. In my estimation, Ayers is a LDE who will have a difficult time generating pass rush. His value is in being better against the run than many of the hybrid DE/OLBs like Maybin.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
I could get behind Maybin, especially if we garnered an extra 3rd round pick. The latest buzz was that Maybin was sliding, so perhaps we could still get him at #24.

However, I'd be a little upset if we got Ayers in the 1st round. I started a thread a couple of months ago discussing the idea of Ayers as a 1st round pick, but after signing Antonio Smith, I see it as a duplication of effort. In my estimation, Ayers is a LDE who will have a difficult time generating pass rush. His value is in being better against the run than many of the hybrid DE/OLBs like Maybin.
He's certainly a different player than Mayin. But what I like about him is the way he uses his hands when attacking. To me it is elite level hand use and leads me to believe that his best football is still to come. As for his position, I think they could slim him down a little and bring him along similar to the way the Giants brought along Mathias Kiwanuka as a OLB/DE hybrid.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Veteran Depth

Just heard Mayock say that he has Everette Brown as a second round guy.... he also mentioned using Ayers as the Giants use Justin Tuck.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Regular Starter

I was looking at SI's grading system. They are high on Everette Brown ranking him 6th overall.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...est_available/