IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
I don't really think thats true. Kubiak has shown quite a but of confidence in his hires IMO. He hired Sherman, a former HC, a move that reflects quite of bit of confidence.

I don't think that he had ever worked with Sherman before either.
They coached at TAMU together, Sherman was the OL guy and Kubiak was in charge of the RBs.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
As for his time with the Cards, maybe my memory is hazy, but I don't recall anyone shaking in fear of the vaunted Cardinal defenses of 2003 and '04.
Here's how the Cardinals' website describes the team's '04-'06 defenses (Bush was in Denver in '03) in DC Clancy Pendergast's bio:
Quote:
His 2006 defense was highlighted by strong safety Adrian Wilson’s first trip to the Pro Bowl. Wilson recorded four interceptions to tie a career-high set in 2002 and also scored on a pair of 99-yard TD’s (fumble and interception return) to become the first player in NFL history with two defensive touchdowns of 99 yards. Pendergast’s unit forced 33 turnovers (17 fumble recoveries, 16 interceptions) in 2006, the most for a Cardinals defense since 1998 and the second time in the past three years the defense finished with 30+ takeaways. Linebacker Gerald Hayes led the team with a career high 111 stops in his first season as the starting middle linebacker and the team’s redzone defense was 4th best in the NFC and 11th best in the NFL.

Pendergast’s defensive unit improved from 26th to 12th in his first season as coordinator and then jumped from 12th to 8th in 2005. Even with missing four regular starters for most of the 2005 season (DE Bertrand Berry, DT Russell Davis, Hayes, CB Antrel Rolle) and having his defensive players miss a combined 101 games due to injury, the Cardinals defense finished the season with the 10th best rush defense and the 12th best pass defense in 2005. The 8th overall ranking was the best finish for the Cardinals defense since 1994 when they finished 3rd overall. The 2005 defense also finished 7th in the NFL in first downs allowed (272) and 4th in third-down efficiency (34.2%). Wilson, a Pro Bowl alternate and 16-game starter in 2005, led the team with a career high 112 tackles and eight sacks. The 8.0 sacks were the most in the NFL by a defensive back since sacks became an official statistic in 1982. Wilson also became the first defensive back in Cardinals history to lead the team in sacks. Outside linebacker Karlos Dansby finished third on the team with 103 tackles and collected 4.0 sacks and 3 interceptions, becoming one of only six NFL players in 2005 to collect more than three sacks and three interceptions.

In 2004, Pendergast’s defense improved its overall rank from 26th at the end of ’03 to 12th. His unit was particularly tough in the red zone where its 45.0 TD percentage ranked second-best in the NFL (up from 60.7 in ’03). Other key categories of defensive improvement were in third down defense (fourth in ’04 and 32nd in ’03); total sacks were up from 20 to 38; total touchdowns allowed dropped from 55 to 35; and total takeaways improved from 23 to 30. Overall, the Cards plus-minus improved from minus-13 in 2003 to plus-1 in ’04 and the team allowed 130 fewer total points (452 to 322) which moved them from last in the NFL in 2003 to 12th in the league. Passing yards per game dropped from 224.4 in ’03 to 189.8 in ’04 (29th in ’03 to 9th in ’04) and first downs allowed dropped from 326 in ’03 to 282 in ’04. The defense didn’t allow a touchdown in three games (Rams, Falcons and Saints) and allowed just one TD in three others (Rams, Jets and Bucs). Linebacker James Darling set a career and team high with 104 tackles and defensive end Bertrand Berry earned his first Pro Bowl berth with an NFC leading 14.5 sacks.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
In the article it said they tried to interview Jerry Gray but the Redskins blocked them.
Guess my sniffer on Gray was pretty good. I think he would have been a terrific hire had he been given a fair shake with Bush up against him. Too bad the Skins wouldn't let him interview. I wonder how much that pisses off Gray, being denied a promotion (at least in title if not pay) and an opportunity to return to Texas.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Guess my sniffer on Gray was pretty good. I think he would have been a terrific hire had he been given a fair shake with Bush up against him. Too bad the Skins wouldn't let him interview. I wonder how much that pisses off Gray, being denied a promotion (at least in title if not pay) and an opportunity to return to Texas.
I really think that is a sh*tty move by a team not to let a position coach interview for a coordinator position.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
All-Pro

FWIW, on Channel 13 tonight Kubiak commented that one of his reasons for the DC decision was a preference for not venturing away from the 4-3.
I dunno if that suggestss they had a another strong prospect for DC but they decided against him because he was a 3-4 guy ?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Meh, I'm OK with it (Bush hiring). The coachspeak went "We're gonna find the best guy that can help the Houston Texans".... So, they've made their choice and everyone will have to live with it....

If it is any consolation, I heard Bush speak on the radio today after his promotion. He promises to be more aggressive on defense and I think the players responded positively - it was mentioned DeMeco was very supportive of the move.

At any rate, 2009 will be a bad year for the Kubiak regime to take a step backward - anything less than a winning season (or maybe 8-8) and some will call for heads to roll....
Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRaven View Post
Personally, if you really felt that Bush was the answer, I don't know why they didn't just fire Smith in the middle of last year and hand the reigns to Bush. That way you get a chance to test drive the guy before you have to make a decision in the off season. As it is, we have no way of knowing how good Bush could possibly be, because he was in the background all season long. If he had any answers, Kubiak should have turned to him much sooner than now.

Maybe he turns out great and the defense looks prepared and energized next year...but I'm betting we get a whole lot of what we have seen so far, and that ain't great.
That was my argument all along. Bush was the guy Kubiak wanted all along. When he knew that Smith was not the guy and was going to fire him, he should have had the stones to do it during the season. Give Bush a test drive down the stretch.

So, let me get this straight, we "interviewed" Rod Marinelli and Frank Bush, and decided then that Bush was the guy. Maybe entertained the notion of a 3-4 guy who may be able to employ a 4-3 before scrapping that idea altogether.

I hope for the Texans' sake, we go to the Playoffs in '09, or Kubiak is out of options and we'll be looking for a new HC.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
So despite being senior defensive assistant for the last 2 years, Bush is absolved of any responsibility? And if he had so little impact/responsibility/whatever else you want to call it on this team in those 2 years, why again should he be promoted right now?
Last I checked Senior Defensive Coordinators dont create schemes or call plays.

Ray Rhodes may not have the "Senior" or "Assistant Head Coach" in his title but obviously he sucks too because he was part of a bad defense and bad secondary. You cannot tell me that he had no input what so ever, especially after Kubiak said in a press conference that he talks to Rhodes all the time and relies on him for input.

Bush was the guy Kubiak wanted from the get go. He just couldnt get him. I think Smith was put into a position he just wasnt equiped for. I dont know how good of a LB coach he would have been. Look at Marinelli, awesome DL coach, BAD HC...

No one knows how much input Bush had the second half of the season. We do know that there were plays which Smith was banned from calling. Continuity is one of the most important aspects of football, and firing coaches mid season is typically not a good idea, and usually reeks of desperation. Which is a BAD thing!

This is a decision that has the potential to break Kubiak, but there is way more room for impovment on the def side of the ball than there is room to fall.

I will go out on a limb here, and hope to hell that I never have to find out, but I am willing to bet even any season wtih 4 or more wins guantees Kubiak his 5th year. Bob is a patient man, I think he understands what it means to really cook something rather than drive through McD's for shut up the overweight spoiled kids in the back seat.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
Last I checked Senior Defensive Coordinators dont create schemes or call plays.

Ray Rhodes may not have the "Senior" or "Assistant Head Coach" in his title but obviously he sucks too because he was part of a bad defense and bad secondary. You cannot tell me that he had no input what so ever, especially after Kubiak said in a press conference that he talks to Rhodes all the time and relies on him for input.

Bush was the guy Kubiak wanted from the get go. He just couldnt get him. I think Smith was put into a position he just wasnt equiped for. I dont know how good of a LB coach he would have been. Look at Marinelli, awesome DL coach, BAD HC...

No one knows how much input Bush had the second half of the season. We do know that there were plays which Smith was banned from calling. Continuity is one of the most important aspects of football, and firing coaches mid season is typically not a good idea, and usually reeks of desperation. Which is a BAD thing!

This is a decision that has the potential to break Kubiak, but there is way more room for impovment on the def side of the ball than there is room to fall.

I will go out on a limb here, and hope to hell that I never have to find out, but I am willing to bet even any season wtih 4 or more wins guantees Kubiak his 5th year. Bob is a patient man, I think he understands what it means to really cook something rather than drive through McD's for shut up the overweight spoiled kids in the back seat.
So what do senior defensive coordinators do? That's kind of my point. The only thing people are able to do is apologize for him and speculate that he wasn't at fault for our terrible defense. Contrast this with Alex Gibbs, he was brought in to work with the O line and we saw the results as the season went on. If Bush is the guy, why didn't any of his teachings over the last 2 years translate into something we could point to on the field? His Texan bio says that he primarily worked with Franklin with the D line. Somehow, their work together got him the DC job and Franklin fired. That makes me go "Huh?" As for Ray Rhodes, if Kubiak had just named him DC, I would feel somewhat the same way to some extent, but Rhodes' resume would help his case a little more. Doesn't mean he sucks, but "not suck" is hopefully not the criteria for our D coordinator position.

Again, I'm not trying to just stir the pot. I would like someone, anyone, to give me any concrete, objective reason why Bush deserved the job other than he was Kubiak's first choice. I appreciate Warren's info on the Arizona D at the time and they clearly played better than I remember (not that I watched them much). But that alone doesn't seem like enough of a track record to warrant the job.

I don't have any idea what sort of defense he wants to run (I don't care about the press conference crap where he said he wants to run a more aggressive defense. Every new D coordinator says this. There's $20 in it for anyone who can find a quote from an incoming D coordinator who says he wants to play it safe, play prevent and be less aggressive.) Who did he learn under and who is his mentor? If he has one, is he still a disciple of his mentor's scheme and wants to run it? What sort of players does he look for to play his D?

I know it sounds like I'm being hard on Bush, but it's really not Bush that I'm upset with, it's Kubiak. I hope Bush works out and we'll see if he does, but I've yet to see anything concrete on why he deserved the job without even considering any other candidates (except for Gray). While it may all work out in the end, I don't see how you can look at the process the Texans just went through to hire their new D coordinator and say, "Yep, that's how it's done. The way they handled that tells me this regime knows what they're doing and I'm confident we're heading in the right direction." I'm honestly asking, does anyone feel this way?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
All-Pro

Any time a new coach is hired, they tell the media they plan for the team to be "more aggressive". When have you ever heard a coach say he wants his team to be less aggressive? Or perhaps "more passive"? What is it that takes a coach from being "more aggressive" to being replaced by someone who swears to be "more aggressive"? At what point does one become too aggressive? Kyle Turley? Jared Allen?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Any time a new coach is hired, they tell the media they plan for the team to be "more aggressive". When have you ever heard a coach say he wants his team to be less aggressive? Or perhaps "more passive"? What is it that takes a coach from being "more aggressive" to being replaced by someone who swears to be "more aggressive"? At what point does one become too aggressive? Kyle Turley? Jared Allen?
I agree with this completely....and any time a team's defense performs poorly the fans almost always scream that they need to be more aggressive. I heard poeple say they wanted Rhodes to be defensive co-ordinator becasue he would have a more "agressive" style. Yet when I looked at what Seahawk fans said about him his last year or two there the consensus seemed to be that his defense was to passive and that Rhodes keep everything in front of you approach wouldn't work. It takes more than a mean streak to play defense well.

I do think we need to have a more attacking style. If we had two huge hogs at DT who could clog things up then letting them clog things up in the middle while the others players made there reads might work better. Our personell just doesn't fit.

If Bush is super aggressive and blitzes a ton and it results in a few big plays, then I'm sure we will start to hear complaints because Bush blitzes too much, or that his defense is reckless. I don't really care if our defense is considered aggressive as long as it works.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
So what do senior defensive coordinators do? That's kind of my point. The only thing people are able to do is apologize for him and speculate that he wasn't at fault for our terrible defense. Contrast this with Alex Gibbs, he was brought in to work with the O line and we saw the results as the season went on. If Bush is the guy, why didn't any of his teachings over the last 2 years translate into something we could point to on the field? His Texan bio says that he primarily worked with Franklin with the D line. Somehow, their work together got him the DC job and Franklin fired. That makes me go "Huh?" As for Ray Rhodes, if Kubiak had just named him DC, I would feel somewhat the same way to some extent, but Rhodes' resume would help his case a little more. Doesn't mean he sucks, but "not suck" is hopefully not the criteria for our D coordinator position.

Again, I'm not trying to just stir the pot. I would like someone, anyone, to give me any concrete, objective reason why Bush deserved the job other than he was Kubiak's first choice. I appreciate Warren's info on the Arizona D at the time and they clearly played better than I remember (not that I watched them much). But that alone doesn't seem like enough of a track record to warrant the job.

I don't have any idea what sort of defense he wants to run (I don't care about the press conference crap where he said he wants to run a more aggressive defense. Every new D coordinator says this. There's $20 in it for anyone who can find a quote from an incoming D coordinator who says he wants to play it safe, play prevent and be less aggressive.) Who did he learn under and who is his mentor? If he has one, is he still a disciple of his mentor's scheme and wants to run it? What sort of players does he look for to play his D?

I know it sounds like I'm being hard on Bush, but it's really not Bush that I'm upset with, it's Kubiak. I hope Bush works out and we'll see if he does, but I've yet to see anything concrete on why he deserved the job without even considering any other candidates (except for Gray). While it may all work out in the end, I don't see how you can look at the process the Texans just went through to hire their new D coordinator and say, "Yep, that's how it's done. The way they handled that tells me this regime knows what they're doing and I'm confident we're heading in the right direction." I'm honestly asking, does anyone feel this way?
Amazing how we are all aware of what other candidates were considered. Also amazing how we all know the inner-workings of a football staff. We pretend to know WAY more on stuff like this than we do. The truth is we don't have nearly enough info to evaluate a coordinator let alone a position coach, because we have no idea how a particular team is run. Nobody knows the percent of the blame that lies where, or the percent of the credit for the positives we saw towards the end of the year. Or at least nobody knows who's talking.

What we do know is that Gary Kubiak has worked with Bush for years and wants him as his DC. The players have worked with him for years and have come out in support of the hire. Anything else is specualtion. A year from now we will either see this as a smart move or the reason Kubiak was fired, but right now any judgement of this hire is blind conjecture.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
A year from now we will either see this as a smart move or the reason Kubiak was fired, but right now any judgement of this hire is blind conjecture.
I think Kubiak has either been told, or is smart enough to know, that it's playoffs or else next year. I think that was a big reason it was Bush. If he thought he had a couple of years to re-tool the defense he would have been more likely to bring in someone from the outside. I suspect, with absolutely no proof, that McDermott was on the radar screen. With the iggles going deeper than most probably thought I think Kubiak just went ahead and made the call that he was most comfortable with and got this settled early. Now they can seamlessly transition to the off season without any kind of learning period between HC and DC.

Kubiak is probably all to aware that this hire will make or break him. He had a lot more riding on this than any of us.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
I dunno if Kubiak would have survived this season (his third) if he had ended up 4-12 and I think its even more unlikely he would in one of the next 2 seasons with that record unless the Texans were to incur a huge number of injuries.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Amazing how we are all aware of what other candidates were considered. Also amazing how we all know the inner-workings of a football staff. We pretend to know WAY more on stuff like this than we do. The truth is we don't have nearly enough info to evaluate a coordinator let alone a position coach, because we have no idea how a particular team is run. Nobody knows the percent of the blame that lies where, or the percent of the credit for the positives we saw towards the end of the year. Or at least nobody knows who's talking.

What we do know is that Gary Kubiak has worked with Bush for years and wants him as his DC. The players have worked with him for years and have come out in support of the hire. Anything else is specualtion. A year from now we will either see this as a smart move or the reason Kubiak was fired, but right now any judgement of this hire is blind conjecture.

Ummmmm, that is what 90% of message boards are. People giving thier opinions on the situations. Of course we don't know the inner workings of the team, but I think it is pretty safe to say that coaching prospects are reported on, and I also think that the fact that 90% of the posters on this board called the Bush hiring as soon as he was retained and Smith was released is a telling sign. I don't think Joshua is doing anything other than voicing concerns and asking someone for more information so he can get his head around the decision rather than just having blind faith (which was all used up with the casserly/capers regime)
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Regular Starter

In his presser yesterday, Bush said he wants the players playing fast and physical, will simplify things and wants to create turnovers. I know, all the typical coaching cliches'.

He wants to be aggressive and react, play north and south. I think that might be a statement on the play of the DT's. I wonder if that means more gap shooting vs read then react. Should suit Omobi better.

I can give my boss all kind of ideas. It is up to him to use them. it is possible that this is what happened between Bush/Smith. Just speculating on my part. At some point in his career, he coached LB's, DL and secondary in addition to scouting. He is a former player. I bet he he can identify talent, or lack thereof.

Demeco is happy with the pick. He indicates that when Frank talks, people are focused on him. I'll roll with what he says vs drivel on the board. I choose looking for positives over dwelling on possible negatives.

The proof will be in the product, and I'll base judgement on those results, vs superficial arguements about why he should not have been the choice or will fail. He might not have better results than Smith, but he certainly should not do worse, and we all know we will be drafting and spending FA money on the defense.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Regular Starter

[QUOTE=Joshua;7259]
I don't have any idea what sort of defense he wants to run (I don't care about the press conference crap where he said he wants to run a more aggressive defense. Every new D coordinator says this. There's $20 in it for anyone who can find a quote from an incoming D coordinator who says he wants to play it safe, play prevent and be less aggressive.) Who did he learn under and who is his mentor? If he has one, is he still a disciple of his mentor's scheme and wants to run it? What sort of players does he look for to play his D? QUOTE]

Watch his press conference video on the teams site. He learned from Gregg Robinson Jerry Glanville and buddy Ryan. He runs the 4-3.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:13 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
Ummmmm, that is what 90% of message boards are. People giving thier opinions on the situations. Of course we don't know the inner workings of the team, but I think it is pretty safe to say that coaching prospects are reported on, and I also think that the fact that 90% of the posters on this board called the Bush hiring as soon as he was retained and Smith was released is a telling sign. I don't think Joshua is doing anything other than voicing concerns and asking someone for more information so he can get his head around the decision rather than just having blind faith (which was all used up with the casserly/capers regime)
My problem is simply people pretending they KNOW what happens on the inside. Because they don't. Message boards may be a great place for guesses, I just think it's funny when people make authoritative statements when they have no knowledge. Things like we didn't "even consider any other candidates except for Gray." Where does anyone get the idea that Kubiak didn't consider other candidates. We KNOW that Marinelli was interviewed. As for who was considered I bet it was a lot longer list than Gray and Bush.

It was like when somebody posted last week they heard Kubiak was taking a week off and then putting together a list of candidates and we got a page of replies about how Kubiak was taking a vacation. This stuff is all made up. Someone hears a quote about Kubiak taking his time on the hire, relates it the best he remembers it, and someone twists it to suit a preconceived idea until Kubiak is in club med while all the good hires get snatched up.

As for blind faith, I would say the perfect definition is listening to message board rants while ignoring the words of a guy like Demeco Ryans.

Now, if you want to argue that message boards are a great place for wild guesses, blind conjecture, half truths, directionless rants, and the like. I can't argue with you. Nor can you argue with me going after it if I don't like it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:

All good points and I don't disagree that much here is speculation. Only time will tell. But isn't speculation pretty much what these types of boards are? Also, I don't think you need complete knowledge to gather a few nuggets here and there. None of us knows exactly how much the improved offensive line is the result of Alex Gibbs but I don't think it's unreasonable to assign some of the credit to him. I'm just looking for similar nuggets on Bush. I haven't seen many yet and the D line, the one thing I know he was in charge of (at least in part), was below average despite the resources given it (I realize there is an argument here over why that is (bad personnel decisions, etc.)). The players coming out in support is a decent sign but that seems pretty standard (they also came out against the firing of Franklin).

As for Kubiak's first choice, I give this little thought. As great as Kubiak has been with the offense, he's been equally disasterous with the defense. I simply don't afford him the same benefit of the doubt on the defensive side of the ball.

Finally, I think I've also been clear that my primary complaint has been the process. Like everyone else here, I just want the Texans to succeed and hopefully this will be a step in that direction. I've been vocal that I'm concerned it is not. With any luck, you all will get to throw this back in my face this time next year.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Pro Bowler

It's becoming increasingly apparent that Kubiak doesn't have the nads to make the difficult decision based on his failure to fire/demote Smith when he had the man he wanted all along on his staff for the past 2 years. All this while watching his defense get torched beyond recognition for the most part. Sweet... We waisted two years on the Smith experiment.

Personally, I don't have problem with Bush if that's who Kubiak wants and feels is the best man for the job. I do have a problem with Kubiak not making the move sooner, however. This would concern me greatly if I were Bob McNair.