IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM
All-Pro

Default Texans Training Camp

Texans start training tomorrow at Greenbtiar, WVA.

Duane Brown holding out, why not just guarantee his salary, pretty safe he's our best LT.

Appears NFL network TV coverage may be,st Texans tomorrow morning, perhaps starting 9 AM CST.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...p-11385154.php
Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Duane Brown holding out, why not just guarantee his salary, pretty safe he's our best LT.
Seems the team is laying down the show up and we will talk, as long as your out we will not talk game.

Brown has the leverage as long as he is out, but the fines and game checks will change some of that leverage. I am with Nconroe, just guarantee the man his money.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM
All-Pro

Watching NFL network TV now, off and on since 9 AM

Looks a lot cooler than Houston, great location.

Looks like many players being interviewed, coach speak by all for now. Just finished Hopkins, Savage, and Lamar Miller.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM
All-Pro

Some nice opening camp.comments and video. Comments on Savage , Kevin johnson, Will Fuller.

http://scout.com/nfl/texans/Article/...ning-105462849
Old 07-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Hall of Fame

So, training camp is underway. First preseason game vs. Carolina just 12 days away - Wednesday Aug 9. On ABC 13, I imagine...
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM
All-Pro

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W. Va -- Texans receiver Will Fuller broke his collarbone during Wednesday's practice.Fuller, the team's first-round draft pick in 2016, went up to catch a pass, came down and hit the ground hard.

He will undergo surgery and is out for 2-3 months.

Fuller was projected to start opposite DeAndre Hopkins.

Jaelen Strong and Braxton Miller would likely get most of Hopkins' time.http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...d=bncollection
Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W. Va -- Texans receiver Will Fuller broke his collarbone during Wednesday's practice.Fuller, the team's first-round draft pick in 2016, went up to catch a pass, came down and hit the ground hard.

He will undergo surgery and is out for 2-3 months.

Fuller was projected to start opposite DeAndre Hopkins.

Jaelen Strong and Braxton Miller would likely get most of Hopkins' time.http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...d=bncollection
Man. So, probably out about half the season....

Wendall Williams, come on down!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:50 PM
All-Pro

What a useless pick this guy is turning out to be.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM
All-Pro

It seemed Fuller was having a good training camp and had a few good receptions Wed. right before this happened.

There is a lot of competition still available at WR.

Just 6 more days till first preseason game at Carolina so we get to finally see the guys running around.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Pro Bowler

IMO, this was the worst thing that could happen to Fuller.

I believe the dropped passes thing was a mental thing. Now add on a significant injury in his second season. He could now really be facing a true downward spiral.

I hope he continues to push himself. I wish we had a vet who could help him through this. I don't consider DHop that kind of vet. But who knows time will tell.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:39 PM
All-Pro

What teams likely to improve/ decline lengthy discussion.

This guy thinks Texans declining due to funny math.

What do you guys think.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...an-expectation
Old 08-04-2017, 01:04 PM
All-Pro

If the Texans "had to take the hit", wide receiver was probably a good spot for it. We still have Hopkins, Strong and Miller and just need to find a few pass catchers lurking in training camp.

I suspect the Texans are going to be more of a running team this year as they beef up the OL, split time between Miller, Freeman and Hunt - possibly going to more 2-TE fronts as a way of protecting Savage and Watson as they learn the position. The less they need to depend on their QBs by giving them manageable third down situations, the easier it will be for the offense to sustain drives.

Of course, they're hiding in Hillbillyworld now so this is all speculation on my part but it makes sense.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
What teams likely to improve/ decline lengthy discussion.

This guy thinks Texans declining due to funny math.

What do you guys think.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...an-expectation
Eh, it's Bill Barnwell. He was a Football Outsiders guy for a while. Note how many times he points to DVOA in the article like it's the be all, end all. I'm really not a fan of Football Outsiders and their whole DVOA/computed power rankings format. It's just stylized stats and they actually make money off of it. I'll take the raw numbers any day over snake oil...
Old 08-07-2017, 09:14 AM
All-Pro

Well, since ESPN dumped actual NFL reporters like John Clayton and Ed Werder in a salary purge, of course they will replace actual reporting with guys who just want to massage data to say whatever they want to say. It's cheaper to blow numbers out their asses than do some actual x's-and-o's analysis.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Well, since ESPN dumped actual NFL reporters like John Clayton and Ed Werder in a salary purge, of course they will replace actual reporting with guys who just want to massage data to say whatever they want to say. It's cheaper to blow numbers out their asses than do some actual x's-and-o's analysis.
Barnwell is 10Xs better than Clayton and Werder. All you get with Clayton and Werder is mouth pieces for team 'sources'. I've never seen a bit of analysis or opinion from them, they simply say what they're told. And because of that they are dependent on those sources to stay relevant. So they can't ever go against a team or step out of line, because it would mean their sources would dry up and they'd stop being useful. Why not just read press releases or the team twitter if you want to hear from a team? Why the middle man?

Barnwell may be in love with DVOA, but more thought goes into one of his overlong articles than everything written by Clayton and Werder combined in the last decade.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:26 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Eh, it's Bill Barnwell. He was a Football Outsiders guy for a while. Note how many times he points to DVOA in the article like it's the be all, end all. I'm really not a fan of Football Outsiders and their whole DVOA/computed power rankings format. It's just stylized stats and they actually make money off of it. I'll take the raw numbers any day over snake oil...
Barnwell is pretty good but he bases 100% of his team analysis on the idea that everything regresses to the mean. So everyone who was good last year is bound to fall back and everyone who was bad is bound to get better. I think it's why he's mostly useless on the preseason stuff. I think he's ok when he examines matchups or offense vs defense using DVOA (he's a one trick pony and the one trick is DVOA).
Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM
All-Pro

So you must ignore John Harris since he's just a team mouthpiece? I prefer someone who actually knows some team sources and attends practices rather than someone who just puts numbers in a cuisinart and believes brilliance comes out.

If they are too pollyanna, like Harris, I just take it and feed it through a reality check before I buy into it but at least I'm hearing from somebody who is there.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
So you must ignore John Harris since he's just a team mouthpiece? I prefer someone who actually knows some team sources and attends practices rather than someone who just puts numbers in a cuisinart and believes brilliance comes out.

If they are too pollyanna, like Harris, I just take it and feed it through a reality check before I buy into it but at least I'm hearing from somebody who is there.
I just don't like guys whose career depends on access, because access depends on teams being happy. This means they can't ever be anything but a mouthpiece. So you aren't hearing from someone who is there, you are hearing what someone who is there wants you to hear. And the NFL is absolutely the worst about this. NFL teams are run by control freaks obsessed with controlling what is said in the media. So they 'leak' things to tame journalists to control the narrative. That's how every guy who leaves a team gets character assassinated after he's gone.

Barnwell is definitely too stat heavy sometimes, but he does plenty of stuff that isn't. Guys like Werder and Clayton only do "here's what my sources are telling me" stuff.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Hall of Fame

When it comes to analysis, I like listening to the Fantasy Football guys. I don't play Fantasy Football myself, but those guys got a better handle on the players who are getting hot, players that aren't, team defense and other assorted categories.... those guys take their fantasy football seriously..... I get more a more informed outlook from them than I do many of the talking heads...

Football Outsiders data is useless on game day. They aren't in the predicition/forecast business. They never participate in pickem's or publish who they like in an upcoming matchup. Their data is massaged after the game - a ranking system. Sure, many (all?) NFL teams subscribe to their "premium" service but who knows why? My guess is NFL teams have plenty of spare cash and if Johnny is doing it, we're going to do it, too... I maintain a coach or scout can glean more info from the (free) raw numbers and film than he can from FO data.... Is FO a useful tool worth shelling out money for? Not in my book....
Old 08-12-2017, 12:16 AM
All-Pro

CAUTION NECKS - FAKE NEWS