IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2015, 09:47 PM
All-Pro

The guy I want re-signed is Ryan Pickett. The defense was demonstrably better once he played the middle. I know he's old so he shouldn't break the bank.

As for Newton and Jackson, similar stories. They were shitty for a few years and were (statistically at least) above average last year. So, why the improvement? Better coaching? Better focus? Contract years? The Texans gambled that they will still play at their 2014 levels instead of their 2012-13 levels. When you look at the markets at these positions, it's hard to argue with re-signing them but I sure hope the difference was better coaching.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And I do hope the team signs Hartline. Not because he's good, of course. He sucks. But so Bob has an impetus to grouse about his favorite play. That never gets old, just like the left handed quarterback.
Imagine if they draft Phillip Dorsett, that play might actually work.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Also when does the AJ release happen? The money could come in handy.
IIRC, they don't have to be under the cap till Tuesday. They'll likely do it then.

Crazy activity today with teams signing their own. Sucks we didn't get a chance at Cobb. Can't blame him though. He's got another shot at a contract. Rodgers > Whatever We put out there.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post

As for Newton and Jackson, similar stories. They were shitty for a few years and were (statistically at least) above average last year. So, why the improvement? Better coaching? Better focus? Contract years? The Texans gambled that they will still play at their 2014 levels instead of their 2012-13 levels. When you look at the markets at these positions, it's hard to argue with re-signing them but I sure hope the difference was better coaching.
Whelp, looking back, IMO, KJ should have stayed in college for his final year but like a lot of young fellas, he couldn't resist the cash grab so he came out his junior year. In the NFL it seems, playing cornerback is one of the largest leaps (college --> NFL). Seen it many times: a young CB struggles only to eventually turn into a decent player. I remember during the height of his (KJ) struggles that Kubiak would answer the critics with a "yeah, but he's a tough kid" and that was needed during his rough early years. They put him a sink or swim situation and he looked bad all too often but eventually became a pretty good CB. It would have been a shame to let all that development/OJT hit the road....

Newton was somewhat similar: over his head early but received so much real game experience that he couldn't help but get better. He also played through injury quite often and I remember him limping at times, especially in 2013. Yet, the Texans kept trotting him out there..... I suppose because he was the best they had....

At any rate, I think you gotta call these two "core signings".....
Old 03-08-2015, 10:06 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
In the NFL it seems, playing cornerback is one of the largest leaps (college --> NFL). Seen it many times: a young CB struggles only to eventually turn into a decent player. I remember during the height of his (KJ) struggles that Kubiak would answer the critics with a "yeah, but he's a tough kid" and that was needed during his rough early years. They put him a sink or swim situation and he looked bad all too often but eventually became a pretty good CB......
Great observation. Every year there's "Lockdown" Corner in the draft who goes first round and disappoints. They're decent, but not like Revis. Antoine Cason is a FA this year who would fall into this example.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM
All-Pro

Jackson has been good for years after a terrible rookie year and a slightly disappointing 2nd year.

So far I have agreed with every player we let go, and I have agreed with every player we brought back. The veterans are out and the contracts are going to guys in their 20s. This is what needs to happen for a team that will not win a superbowl this year.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Imagine if they draft Phillip Dorsett, that play might actually work.
Yep, in which case, the play will need to be renamed....
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Pro Bowler

‏@AlbertBreer Per source, Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer is planning to sign with the Texans tomorrow.

@RapSheet Ex-#Browns QB Brian Hoyer plans to sign a multi-year deal with the #Texans, likely three years, I’m told. They plan to have Hoyer & Mallett

@JaysonBraddock Brian Hoyer's contract is expected to be 3 years and in the range of $12-14 million. Getting more due to playing experience.

Can't say I'm too excited about this one.

Last edited by WMH; 03-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
‏@AlbertBreer Per source, Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer is planning to sign with the Texans tomorrow.

Can't say I'm too excited about this one.
I'm good with if it means Fitz is gone and at roughly the same price. Might not be much of an upgrade (if at all), but it was so painful watching Fitz last year that I'm ready for anything non-Fitz. And I don't think this necessarily means Mallett is gone either. Might hurt even hurt Savage more than Mallett.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
I'm good with if it means Fitz is gone and at roughly the same price. Might not be much of an upgrade (if at all), but it was so painful watching Fitz last year that I'm ready for anything non-Fitz.
@MMehtaNYDN After the QB dominos fall in Houston (Hoyer & Mallett to Texans), I'm told the Jets will pursue Ryan Fitzpatrick #nyj
Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Pro Bowler

@RapSheet The #Texans have agreed to terms with QB Ryan Mallett, source said. So it’ll be Hoyer & Mallett in Houston.

‏@MarkBermanFox26 NFL sources confirm Ryan Mallett has agreed to a contract with the Texans. It's a 2-year deal.

@taniaganguli Ryan Mallett's deal with the #Texans is a 2 year deal worth $7 million. Expecting Hoyer's to be bigger.

‏@MarkBermanFox26 NFL sources confirm Ryan Mallett gets 2-year deal worth $7 million, with less than $2 million guaranteed in first year.

Last edited by WMH; 03-09-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
@RapSheet The #Texans have agreed to terms with QB Ryan Mallett, source said. So it’ll be Hoyer & Mallett in Houston.
There you go. Fitz and Keenum are goners, for sure. I personally thing Savage might be hanging on by a thread, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them jettison him and draft someone else (Petty?).
Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Hall of Fame

Man, I like the Mallet signing but Hoyer?

Radio is saying Hoyer is gonna make more money.... I was hoping Mallet would be the starter but now I'm not so sure...
Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Man, I like the Mallet signing but Hoyer?

Radio is saying Hoyer is gonna make more money.... I was hoping Mallet would be the starter but now I'm not so sure...
Mallet is betting on himself. I kinda like that.
(Also can't believe he's that cheap)....

Hoyer signed a typical veteran back up type of deal. I'd guess it will be similiar to the Fitz structure.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:44 AM
All-Pro

Yeah, Hoyer is 6ft2in and passing completion under 60 %, 29 yrs old, so that seems like backup.

I hope Mallett succeeds and am surprised he bet on himself, but good for him and Texans.

And best wishes to Fitz and Keenum.

I was thinking now not drafting a QB, but who knows.

Last edited by Nconroe; 03-09-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Pro Bowler

Not so fast... LOL!

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 26m26 minutes ago
Still a good chance QB Brian Hoyer winds up in Houston, but his agent still is negotiating with the Jets and NY will be given a chance here.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Mallet is betting on himself. I kinda like that.
(Also can't believe he's that cheap)....

Hoyer signed a typical veteran back up type of deal. I'd guess it will be similiar to the Fitz structure.
Aight, makes sense. It's just that I see the intangible "upside" with Mallett. Not so much with Hoyer - but he should be comfortable in this system....

I guess we should get prepared for the "open competition" blabber but I'll be flummoxed if we can't see more of Mallett this year....
Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM
All-Pro

The Texans were in the playoff hunt until the final hours of the season. Assuming that they are at least able to duplicate that record you can't risk blowing the season because you don't have a veteran backup. To me Hoyer is an ideal veteran backup. He's young, BOB knows him (and likes him, apparently), he really didn't play that badly in Cleveland and let's remember he was playing for Cleveland who have exactly one offensive player I would switch any Texan for...

If this Mallet deal is being reported accurately I think it's perfect. I hope he distinguished himself and then truly gets paid. If not, there's no Carr-like commitment. Hoyer as I've said is a very good signing. Newton and KJ were absolute musts and neither signed for what I would consider elevated sums.

It makes me wonder who the hell is in charge over there.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Administrator

I'm starting to be a huge fan of this Texans offseason. Retaining Mallett, Kareem, and Newton were the keys. If they find a way to add Vince Wilfork and/or a legit slot receiver, I'll enter a state of euphoria.

How the team is handling the QB spot, considering the crappy options available, is en route to being darn near masterful. A prove-it deal on Mallett, possibly adding a veteran who won games in Cleveland in Hoyer, and now the possibility of trading Fitzy to the Jets. In fact, how BOB and the Texans are driving the QB landscape, making MacCagnan and the Jets sit and wait to figure out what is happening in Houston first, is flat out awesome regardless of whether the Texans end up with either Hoyer or Fitz. Got to have one of them... Mallett couldn't last two games healthy as the starter. Fluke or not, need a quality player to go with him.

Respect to O'Brien. I imagine having Gaine still in this front office is a help too.

Texans also retained Damaris Johnson today. Hopefully the team lands someone better to compete with him.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
. In fact, how BOB and the Texans are driving the QB landscape, making MacCagnan and the Jets sit and wait to figure out what is happening in Houston first, is flat out awesome regardless of whether the Texans end up with either Hoyer or Fitz.
If this is the case then it's the first time in my lifetime of following Houston sports. And not since the Oilers had both Dan Pastorini and Lynn Dickey have we had two guys that could push each other for the starting job, a true competition.

And having the other teams wait on the Texans and not the Texans getting the consolation prize, feels pretty good. Also it seems that guys are wanting to play for BoB.