IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
What could it be about Maelh that convinces Bob he could never be a real player?

For that matter, what is it that convinces Bob he is another David Anderson?

And what is different about Jean than those two that he can be special? Is it Jean's 2nd team All-Sun Belt honors that set him apart?
Speaking for myself, I went to every weekday open practice last season and I watched Maehl, who I like a lot, but also feel the comparison to DA is accurate, and I watched Lestar Jean. Jean keep having wow moments at practice. Even going against the vets in some one on one drills.

And Kubiak also could not stop talking about Jean.

I am expecting more from Jean this coming year.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:27 PM
All-Pro

Why is Arian Foster better than Chris Ogbanaya? Both were UDFAs...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
All-Pro

I'm just giving Bob a hard time.

As for Jean, he was an UDFA for a reason just like Maehl. He may blossom, but I would not hold my breath waiting for it. Especially on this team. Our #4 barely sees the field and our #2/#3 barely see the ball. Not a lot of room to break in as a WR when you run it 35 times and you target your RB and TE more than your 2nd-4th WRs (155 combined for OD and Arian, 137 for Walter, JJ, B. Johnston).

As for Foster and Ogbonoya, only one of those guys were undrafted.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Some slightly dated news:

Texans re-sign Demps to bolster depth at safety spot

Quote:
The Texans added depth at safety on Thursday when they re-signed Quintin Demps.

Demps, entering his fifth season, received a one-year deal for $700,000.

Demps played well off the bench last season. He went to camp with the Texans but was waived in the last roster reduction. He was re-signed early in the season because of injuries. Demps played so well as a reserve that coach Gary Kubiak apologized for cutting him in the first place.

Demps, who also is a good special teams player, joins Troy Nolan as quality depth behind starter Danieal Manning.

Safety isn’t a priority in the draft. Glover Quin is the starting strong safety. Shiloh Keo, entering his second season, backs up Quin.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:

As for Jean, he was an UDFA for a reason just like Maehl. He may blossom, but I would not hold my breath waiting for it. Especially on this team. Our #4 barely sees the field and our #2/#3 barely see the ball. Not a lot of room to break in as a WR when you run it 35 times and you target your RB and TE more than your 2nd-4th WRs (155 combined for OD and Arian, 137 for Walter, JJ, B. Johnston).

As for Foster and Ogbonoya, only one of those guys were undrafted.
That might have been true last year because they still had Dreeson, and Arian was running the heck out of the football. This year the defenses are going to look at a lot of tape, and are probably going to be harder to run against. Not saying Arian won't get his numbers, only that they will be harder to come by. We may have to rely on the 3rd & 4th WR because of that.

As for Jean and Maehl, if one of them can return a punt, or if they can imcrease the WR production, then I say let J.J. go. I think both guys have potential, but we will just have to wait to see how the Draft, OTAs, and TC go.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
That might have been true last year because they still had Dreeson, and Arian was running the heck out of the football. This year the defenses are going to look at a lot of tape, and are probably going to be harder to run against. Not saying Arian won't get his numbers, only that they will be harder to come by. We may have to rely on the 3rd & 4th WR because of that.

As for Jean and Maehl, if one of them can return a punt, or if they can imcrease the WR production, then I say let J.J. go. I think both guys have potential, but we will just have to wait to see how the Draft, OTAs, and TC go.
The target numbers I listed did not include Dreesen (or Casey).

Arian had just as big a year two years ago and nobody came up with a way to stop him last year. When it comes to our running game, there is nothing to figure out. Kubiak/Shanahan have been doing this for 25 years and nobody has figured it out yet. We aren't talking about a wildcat gimmick, we are talking about a team that lines up and runs it at you. We are the most successful team in the NFL at running against 8 man fronts the last two years. As long as Arian is healthy he is going to run on teams. There is nothing on tape to look at and adjust to that has not been done before.

As for needing our 3/4 WR more, it can't hurt. But Foster and OD are clearly the 2/3 option on this team, and they are very dangerous.

So for Jean to have a breakout year he will have to leapfrog Walter, JJ (if he's around), and anybody we draft. And then take targets away from 2 clearly better players (Foster and OD). All this on a run first team that values blocking from their WRs as much as catching. I am not holding my breath.

It is a very different situation than Foster needing to take carries from broken necked Slaton and Ron Dayne.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
It's so easy it's almost not any fun, is it?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Free agent kicker Neil Rackers tells FOX 26 Sports he has ageed to a 1 year deal with the Redskins. -- Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Free agent kicker Neil Rackers tells FOX 26 Sports he has ageed to a 1 year deal with the Redskins. -- Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26)
We should be able to replace him as a kicker but can our kick coverage unit replace his tackling?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We should be able to replace him as a kicker but can our kick coverage unit replace his tackling?
Lmao. That was my exact first thought.

Berman has a quickie article on it, and it sounds like Smith didn't offer more than the minimum. I'm ok with that.
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...XG8R3w.twitter

Outside of Seabass.....whatever.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM
All-Pro

Kicking game seems right now is a weak point that I hope gets to be a strength.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Pro Bowler

John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) tweeted:
Texans are working out former Oakland and KC CC Stanford Routt on Tuesday.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Texans are working out former Oakland and KC CC Stanford Routt on Tuesday.
After working him out this morning, the Texans are going to sign CB Stanford Routt to take the roster spot vacated by CB Brice McCain.

Depth is needed. Hope he doesn't have to play.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 PM
All-Pro

Let's hope Routt just needed a change of scenery. He's almost 6k2" and fast with 2 Int at Kc before they cut him, perhaps missingt a meeting on a bad team. Before this he was good enough to earn a 3 year, 21 mil FA contraact.