IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports

Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 AM
All-Pro

Default Mr. Hockey

Found a made-for-Hallmark-Channel movie in the discount bin at H-E-B entitled "Mr. Hockey". It is about Gordie Howe joining the World Hockey Association in 1973 to play with the Houston Aeros along with his two teenaged sons, Mark and Marty, and won a championship with the fledgling league that merged with the NHL by the end of the decade.

Aside from a few historical glitches, the filmmakers do the story pretty well and, being Hallmark, one of the chief stars is the actress who plays Gordie's wife, Colleen.

I actually had a chance to interview the Howes during my early radio career but I was too young to ask any really good questions and the Howes, like most hockey players, give very stiff close-to-the-vest answers.

But I remember how excited Houston was for the Aeros and I'm still puzzled that the NHL has never tried to market a team in Houston. Those Aero jerseys looked simplistic but still eye-catching and I guess one of the things I really enjoyed about the movie was watching those authentic-looking WHA jerseys with many of the correct names on the backs of them.

If you remember the old WHA or just want to see a forgotten part of Houston sports history, I would suggest watching it.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Hall of Fame

I went to one of the Aeros games back during that time. I'm no hockey expert but it was pretty clear when Gordie Howe had the puck, he had a masterful way of handling it...

I remember the crowd was small but very enthusiastic. Houston has always been good about supporting a winner and the Aeros were winners..... I'm not the world's biggest hockey fan but if Houston had an NHL team, I would start taking notice...