IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams

Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Default [Must See TV] A Football Life - Houston '93 (NFL Network 12/10 8pm CT)

At 8pm:
Quote:
''A Football Life'' - Houston '93 - In 1993 the high-flying Houston Oilers fielded one of the most talented teams in football, expected by many to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. What ensued was one of the wildest, most controversial seasons any team has ever had, a season that may have changed the course of pro football in one of America's largest cities.
Followed by:
Quote:
"A Football Life: Backstory" - Houston '93 - A deeper look at the premiere of A Football Life: Houston '93 that includes special guests, unseen footage and viewer interaction.
For those who didn't live it... this was a truly amazing season in so many ways.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Regular Starter

Reminder bump. Ought to be interesting.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 AM
All-Pro

Watch this show and you will see why Bud is not in the HOF.

He created that mess.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Often had the feeling in those days the team was winning in spite of its owner, not because of it.

Two key actions from Bud contributed to the mayhem, both highlighted by the program: (1) hiring Buddy Ryan and not involving HC Jack Pardee in the process, further demoting Pardee into a figurehead for the team, and (2) setting an ultimatum that the team would be broken up if they failed again.

Ryan had no obligation to report to Pardee. This is a model that fails beyond just the realm of football. And while threatening players' and coaches' jobs if they do not perform is really not a crime in the NFL, doing so when the mental state of the team was so fragile following the Buffalo loss was just classic Bud with his poor timing.

Bud obviously lacked the PR/media sheen the Texans now possess in spades. Talk about an over-correction.

What's interesting in looking back, as a fan, is watching how the fan base reacts... the Oilers had seven straight playoff years and zero AFC Championship game appearances. In some ways, the team was a victim of its own moderate success.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM
All-Pro

But you couldn't say Bud Adams was too cheap to build a championship team. That club was just stacked at so many positions and yet, again and again, they choked in the post-season. In Denver, they choked. In Buffalo, they choked. At home against Kansas City, they choked. You can't really blame those on Bud (and I'm no fan of Bud Adams). As an owner, he spent to have all the pieces for a championship team put together and he did that.

As for going into the Hall of Fame, I'll bet it eventually happens. He owned a franchise for 50 years. Probably easier to put him in now that he, himself, isn't around to screw it up.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
As for going into the Hall of Fame, I'll bet it eventually happens. He owned a franchise for 50 years. Probably easier to put him in now that he, himself, isn't around to screw it up.
I completely agree with this. The man deserves to be in the Hall, but he is not because he was a bone head.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Regular Starter

I noticed that NFL Network is re-airing this at 2 pm CT today. Definitely worth a watch.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Man, it's hard to watch that Jeff Alm segment. I remember when it happened during the season but had forgotten most the details over the years. He knew he has likely going to jail for DWI and vehicular manslaughter and decided to take his life. Just tragic.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM
All-Pro

I always presumed Alm was distraught over the death of his best friend, not the future prison ramifications.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I always presumed Alm was distraught over the death of his best friend, not the future prison ramifications.
I did, too. I can't really bring myself to watch anything from that era. I'm struck by an incredible sadness surrounding all of it. Potential wasted is probably the worst kind of sadness as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Probably both.