IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtinylittle View Post
Supposedly he is going to be at his second Pro Day. This is one of the few times where I actually WOULD consider drafting a low character guy. Assuming he falls far enough down in the draft, that is. If we could get him for a fifth, and we only we got one year of production out of him before we had to let him go because of issues, it seems to me it would be worth it if we got him cheap.

Anyone care to predict how high he will be drafted?
I dunno where he's drafted if he's drafted at all, but I'm with PK on this one because I wouldn't sign the guy at this point even if I could get him as an undrafted FA.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:14 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno where he's drafted if he's drafted at all, but I'm with PK on this one because I wouldn't sign the guy at this point even if I could get him as an undrafted FA.
Look back to 1995 and look at the RBs that Kubiak has used in Denver.

95-98 Terrell Davis 5-11 210
99 Olandis Gary 5-11 218
00-01 Mike Anderson 6-0 230
02-03 Clinton Portis 5-11 221
04 Reuben Droughns 5-11 220
05 Mike Anderson 6-0 230

Only one guys got the bulk of the carries as a rookie. Most where low carry 3rd years guys or older. His target seems to be 5-11 220. Kubiak has not gone for a big back as the #1 guy, and so Blount does not appear to fit his mold. Add the off field stuff and I do not see them taking a flyer on this kid.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM
All-Pro

For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."
http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ers-and-losers
RP you're gonna need to get your boys back on this one, 'cause people are saying bad things about him.
And these sorts of comments about Weatherspoon aren't isolated as I've seen other sources which had the same kind of negative reports about the Mizzou 'backer.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
RP you're gonna need to get your boys back on this one, 'cause people are saying bad things about him.
And these sorts of comments about Weatherspoon aren't isolated as I've seen other sources which had the same kind of negative reports about the Mizzou 'backer.
Whatever
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."
http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ers-and-losers
I've seen this one quote being used on a lot of sites. Weatherspoon's number speak for themselves. IMO I think we are starting to see the disinformation starting.

Any scout who doesn't think Weatherspoon a can play should be fired right now. Ray Lewis is the same kind of player and guy, do you think he would be #26 today?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I've seen this one quote being used on a lot of sites. Weatherspoon's number speak for themselves. IMO I think we are starting to see the disinformation starting.

Any scout who doesn't think Weatherspoon a can play should be fired right now. Ray Lewis is the same kind of player and guy, do you think he would be #26 today?
PK I don't know about putting Weatherspoons name, albeit a very good LB in this years NFL Draft, in the same sentence with the name of another LB who is recognized as one of the greatest ever at his position in the entire history of the NFL ?
And how would it go over for example if a rookie like Weatherspoon was to start his NFL career on a team like the Texans and attempt to be the take-charge holler-guy given some of the established vets on our defense ? Everything I've heard NFL players say about their rookie year in the league included being like children in that they were to be seen but not heard.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
And how would it go over for example if a rookie like Weatherspoon was to start his NFL career on a team like the Texans and attempt to be the take-charge holler-guy given some of the established vets on our defense ? Everything I've heard NFL players say about their rookie year in the league included being like children in that they were to be seen but not heard.
That's exactly what this team needs. The "leads by example" guys are not leaders, they just do what their responsibilities are. Every now and then, you get a guy who isn't afraid to step up and be heard. Ray Lewis is like that. Lawrence Taylor was like that. When you have production, you can demand that your teammates meet your intensity. As long as Spoon makes plays, he can run his mouth all he wants.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
PK I don't know about putting Weatherspoon's name, albeit a very good LB in this years NFL Draft, in the same sentence with the name of another LB who is recognized as one of the greatest ever at his position in the entire history of the NFL ?
I'll add to Roy's comment, Cushing came in and did just this. He and Pollard were said to be the two biggest trash talkers on the team, forgot to add Smith to that list. That is 3 guys that added attitude to our defense which was not here since the Jamie Sharper/Aaron Glenn/Gary Walker days.

Cushing was able to push our LBs to be better, and it helped. Now don't get me wrong, I am not predicting a HOF career for a guy who has not played a down, but Weatherspoon can play the run sideline to sideline, and he can cover better then Ryans. IMO he is the most likely to be named Defensive Rookie of the Year. Unless McClain get it.

I would consider trading back in to the 1st round if Weatherspoon dropped to the high 20's, He is that good IMO.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
All-Pro

Florida CB Joe Haden reportedly timed in the mid-4.4 range on both of his forty-yard dash runs at the Gators' Pro Day.

According to some stopwatches, Haden clocked as fast as the 4.3s despite a soggy, sloppy grass field in Gainesville. The draft's top cornerback, Haden has helped his stock immensely after timing in the 4.57-4.60 range with poor running technique and a lower back sprain at the Scouting Combine. We no longer see him getting past San Francisco at No. 13 overall.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/359125...s-player_news/
Who knows who puts out these "reported times" and without some kind of official or authoritarian control source of the times coming out of these Pro Days, "unofficial" times just kinda take on a life of their own and become accepted. But this should work for Haden and restore the credibility to the kind of "reported" top-end sprint speed he possesses.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Florida CB Joe Haden reportedly timed in the mid-4.4 range on both of his forty-yard dash runs at the Gators' Pro Day.
Dunlap ran a 4.66 on the soggy field. This is exactly why I like to compare all the players at the same time at the Combine. I would rather all times be electronically timed and not a hand-held stopwatch. Anyway, if Haden is still drafted in the top 10, that's good because it gives Dan Williams a better shot at dropping to number 20.

The best Pro-Day in Florida was turned in by Tim Tebow. Bringing the ball back from his ear instead of dropping down by his thigh should propel him to the 2nd round. I'd guess he pushes DelHomme in Cleveland. Then imagine Gruden coming out of retirement to work for Holmgren.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Dunlap ran a 4.66 on the soggy field. This is exactly why I like to compare all the players at the same time at the Combine. I would rather all times be electronically timed and not a hand-held stopwatch.
Electronic times are of course slower but more importantly consistant and most important accurate. And who even knows if any given Pro Day 40 track is,
well 40 yards in length ?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Electronic times are of course slower but more importantly consistant and most important accurate. And who even knows if any given Pro Day 40 track is,
well 40 yards in length ?
As long as the times are consistent, then we can make real comparisons and not make million dollar decisions based upon somebody's thumb and reaction speed.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Veteran Depth

The so-called electronic times in the combine are only partly electronic. They are still started manually but finished electronically. This process does mediate inconsistency, but does not eliminate it. See Taylor Mays number.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 AM
All-Pro

Back to the FLA pro Day. I listened to the Draft show on radio 1560 last night and Lance Zierland, who has a lot of contacts in the NFL scouting community, was told by his sources at the PD that Haden didn't break 4.5 and was somewhere in the 4.5s for his times regardless of the reported sub 4.5 performance.
BTW, the 1560 Draft show is on Podcast so check it out if you're so inclined: with LZ and John Harris on together its really excellent.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 AM
All-Pro

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/
A strong performance during Senior Bowl week and a solid NFL Scouting Combine effort helped Boise State CB Kyle Wilson enhance his draft status. He built on the momentum from those workouts with another exceptional outing at the Broncos’ pro day on Friday.

Wilson (185 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 and 4.43 seconds, had a 38-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump, a 4.10-second short shuttle and a 6.84-second three-cone drill. He also did very good in the position drills. This workout probably moves him into the first round.

All 32 teams had representatives in attendance, and six teams (Ravens, 49ers, Cardinals, Eagles, Bengals and Rams) had defensive back coaches on hand.

The workout took place indoors on FieldTurf. It’s a good thing, too, since it was cold with some snow showers in the area.
Looks like a good effort for Kyle Wilson on his ProDay and I would definitely put him in the "Riser" department.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
All-Pro

FWIW, watched NFL Network this afternoon and a new name has joined Haden & Kyle Wilson among the top 3: 'Bama Kareem Jackson and
NFL Net says some teams actually have Jackson as #1.
Mayoc has this order - Haden, Wilson, Jackson. Apparently Wilson is the best cover guy, but can be a little shy about going after a runner, while Jackson is the toughest in run-coverage.
Before this the consensus seems to have had McCourtny from Rutgers in the top 3 ? We will see Thursday.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
FWIW, watched NFL Network this afternoon and a new name has joined Haden & Kyle Wilson among the top 3: 'Bama Kareem Jackson and
NFL Net says some teams actually have Jackson as #1.
Mayoc has this order - Haden, Wilson, Jackson. Apparently Wilson is the best cover guy, but can be a little shy about going after a runner, while Jackson is the toughest in run-coverage.
Before this the consensus seems to have had McCourtny from Rutgers in the top 3 ? We will see Thursday.
I heard somewhere that Jackson is considered the most pro-ready CB because of his college coach.