IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM
All-Pro

Nice win. Not perfect but probably their most impressive of the year. Back to 3-3. Now how about winning some games against good team?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Regular Starter

great job... hopefully we can get our first 2 game win streak of the season next week.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Nice win. Not perfect but probably their most impressive of the year. Back to 3-3. Now how about winning some games against good team?
Funny thing is we haven't really played any GOOD teams yet.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:13 PM
All-Pro

It's very simple, if the Texans can stop the run (and the NFL's best back this year), can move the ball with a controlled passing game and can find a back who won't fumble the Texans have every chance to be a good team.

Poor defensive executions, stubborn commitment to the run and senseless turnovers spell disaster.

I can't wait until next week to see which team shows up, the competent, ascendant Texans team we saw today or the dysfunctional circus we've seen in other weeks.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Funny thing is we haven't really played any GOOD teams yet.
The Jets are good and the Bengals are good. Maybe not Super Bowl good, but definitely playoff good.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Pro Bowler

Jets yeah, I'm not convinced about the Bengals though.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
The Bengals have been doing a good job of taking away their opponent's #1 WR. Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph have done a great job, and perhaps Andre Johnson will not be as dominant as we are used to seeing.

I think the key player today is going to be Owen Daniels. If he can expose Rey Malauga's lack of coverage skills in the middle of the field, it may make our running game more successful.

On the other side of the ball, our LB's have to be smart about when to attack. Benson's reputation is going to make them respect the run, but they can't get so concerned that they overrun the play or bite on Play-Action leaving the Secondary exposed.

I think we are going to lose today, but hopefully we get a squeeky win

Wrong! No cupie doll today! The defense played better, and my guy Cushing made an int to put the game away in the 4th quarter. A.J. was tremendous.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Maybe the Bengals are good, maybe their not. But we came into this game, expected to get blown out and we won in great fashion. We did what no one expected us to do. The Bengals were a team expected to be on the rise as a top contender; similar to the Broncos.

So credit, to the Texans for beating the odds. Hopefully Kubiak has seen a couple things:

We can win through the air

Passing can set up the run

Slaton was not in a sophomore slump, he was just being used incorrectly

If our defense stays focused they can be competitive.

Pollard has earned the starting safety position; passing team or not

Consistency is now the key!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20091018.html

The Bengals may not prove to be a great team, but they were 4-1 and playing at home, brimming with confidence of having come from behind in three of their wins.

I think they may have been caught taking the Texans for granted a little bit, but this was a well-earned road win for sure against what ought to be a team fighting (against the Texans?? please?) for a wild card position.

A terrific win, an important win, but the Texans need to follow it up with a win next week to keep the momentum moving in the right direction.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
All-Pro

Yes, that was a nice team win on offense and defense, perhaps what we were hoping to see in all the games. If we can play this consistently well, or even improve, we should continue to do well. Cincy was supposed to be a physical team, the kind that has historically given Texans trouble, and we dished it out and played just as physical, very nice to see. OL got out on the blocks on runs and held their own pretty well on pass plays. DL stopped the run and secondary prevented the big passes pretty well. And Cushing, what a bunch of big plays.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Pro Bowler

Damn... Amazing what utilizing a screen pass to one of your fastest, most elusive players can do. Now if Slaton can just figure out how to hold onto the damn ball! On D', what a game by Cushing. He's becoming one of the best LB's in the league, let alone the best defensive player on this team. I had my doubts at first along with a lot of people, but anyone still questioning that pick should probably tone it down at this point.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Regular Starter

this was a great game to watch, but also frustrating. if they had played like this all season we would be getting ready to go watch a 5-1, or 4-2 at worst, team this week against the niners. that said, if they can actually show some consistency, they should be 5-3 going into the indy game in three weeks.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Regular Starter

The announcers on the TV broadcast said the HC of the Bengals had been in the Texans playbook all offseason, trying to copy some of the plays etc..

I wonder if the def was getting some of the same looks they were used to getting in training camp and we able to react better to it.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Schaub has had 3 straight 300+ yds passing. The Oline is blocking very well for the pass now, so Schaub is getting the time to find second and 3rd receivers. Amazing how the often vilified screen has come alive for us.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM
All-Pro

Gone over the weekend visiting family out of state and didn't get to watch the game Sunday, but watched my U-Verse recording today after returning home to Houston(U-Verse is so superior to Comcast, not even close !), and yea this was definitely our best game.
My wife (a "Native Texan"), was complaining about the Texans' coverage by the ABC combo of Cross & Criqui until Cross compared AJ to his former teammate with the 49ers who also wore # 80. We get our share of cred.
Cushings interception was truly spectacular and more importantly timely and he played well, but no way he was the best LB on the field Sunday. Just the same, nice that he got a game ball because I know DeMecos the consummate team player and if the Texans win he's happy no matter who gets the most attention.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Pro Bowler

Sorry, I must take you to task for your assumption that our best LB is Demeco. He may have more NFL experience, but Cushing is pushing him already for tackles, so I think you err.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
All-Pro

I'm just glad that there is an argument over who is better, DeMeco or Brian. Last year, there was no doubt and I don't think Ryans has gotten worse.