IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
All-Pro

There is no way in hell Kubiak would accept a demotion from his current team. That is unheard of and he would become the laughingstock of the league. More so than he already is, I mean.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Regular Starter

Holmgren or Cowher would want full control IMO. Shanny rode Elway and Holmgren did it in two places with different QB's, same as Gruden.

Gruden might be a fit with the offense that is already in place, and he ran a 4-3, same with Holmgren.

I think if Mr. McNair does make a change, it has to be a change that has some sizzle with the steak. I do think Kubes does have a chance to save his job though. I am not yet writing him off, he has done a good job getting us to this point. Is this his ceiling? I do not know. This team will be in close games down the stretch, that is what they do. If they do show improvement, and do close some of the better teams out (NE, MIA, JAX) then I think Gary can save his job.

Mr. McNair is in a tough spot. If he is thinking of making a change, he would almost have to go behind Gary's back if this team rallies. If he decides to make the change, he has to upgrade, and not get another coordinator with the way this fan base is. If the team goes to 9-7, Gary is safe IMO.

These last 5 games will be interesting.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There is no way in hell Kubiak would accept a demotion from his current team. That is unheard of and he would become the laughingstock of the league. More so than he already is, I mean.
Working as an assistant where you used to be head coach? That is wack.

Signed,
Dave Campo

...ok, yes, this proves chuck's point.

on a more serious note, the more likely scenario might be hiring daddy shan and keeping baby shan as his OC. not likely, just more likely than Kubiak accepting a demotion.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
........Mr. McNair is in a tough spot. If he is thinking of making a change, he would almost have to go behind Gary's back if this team rallies. If he decides to make the change, he has to upgrade, and not get another coordinator with the way this fan base is. If the team goes to 9-7, Gary is safe IMO.

These last 5 games will be interesting.
I pretty much agree with all this. 9-7 and I think he stays. I am not anxious to replace the coach at this point.... I can't help feeling that one more draft and one more year of experience on this young team might get them over the hump. But if they play like knuckleheads down the stretch, Kubiak will probably be gone. They are so close....

McNair will most likely wait till the end of the season so any crying and whining now about the coach won't do any good. I think it may be evident at the end of the season which way he will go.

I predicted 9-7 preseason so it's still quite doable...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
All-Pro

It is just so hard to change culture. This team is a team that doesn't win big football games. They find a way to lose far more than they find a way to win. Changing that identity and culture is very tough. I doubt it comes from within. These players have been what they are year after year now. Without a big change somewhere I doubt they ever shake it. Make a list of all of our best players and tell me which one has been a winner in the NFL at any point in there career.

So if none of our players, our head coach, either coordinator, or our GM has ever been a winner in their current role, than how do we change the culture by simply getting another year deeper into this identity.

To me the most likely place for that change to take place is a new head coach. And honestly we need one who is either a big enough personality or a proven enough winner to erase the culture of mediocrity around here. But if Kubiak stays does anyone really believe we are contenders next year for a superbowl? The best we can hope for with him is enough talent that we go 11-5 even after giving away 3-4 games next year.

It is clearly time for a change unless our goal is to hit the high end of mediocre.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
It is just so hard to change culture. This team is a team that doesn't win big football games. They find a way to lose far more than they find a way to win. Changing that identity and culture is very tough. I doubt it comes from within. These players have been what they are year after year now. Without a big change somewhere I doubt they ever shake it. Make a list of all of our best players and tell me which one has been a winner in the NFL at any point in there career.

So if none of our players, our head coach, either coordinator, or our GM has ever been a winner in their current role, than how do we change the culture by simply getting another year deeper into this identity.

To me the most likely place for that change to take place is a new head coach. And honestly we need one who is either a big enough personality or a proven enough winner to erase the culture of mediocrity around here. But if Kubiak stays does anyone really believe we are contenders next year for a superbowl? The best we can hope for with him is enough talent that we go 11-5 even after giving away 3-4 games next year.

It is clearly time for a change unless our goal is to hit the high end of mediocre.
Very well put.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
All-Pro

McNair clearly wants to keep Kubiak and not go thru the drama, the whole transition thing again. And I suspect he also likes Kubiak personally. But Kubiak may not give him the option to keep him in the end if things do really tank from here on out.
And I can't help but think this season set up real well and Kubiak just didn't
take advantage of it, starting with the 3 homes games in September and Kubiak not even having the team ready to play the season opener in Reliant vs the Jets.
Then he had the easy NFC West (next year its the NFC East !) with both of that divisions west coast teams playing here instead of us having to travel
west with the big time difference and all.
And the injury situation wasn't that bad really. OK we lost our guards and OD,
but Schaub and AJ have both been healthy all year as has the defense for the
most part.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
McNair clearly wants to keep Kubiak and not go thru the drama, the whole transition thing again. And I suspect he also likes Kubiak personally. But Kubiak may not give him the option to keep him in the end if things do really tank from here on out.
And I can't help but think this season set up real well and Kubiak just didn't
take advantage of it, starting with the 3 homes games in September and Kubiak not even having the team ready to play the season opener in Reliant vs the Jets.
Then he had the easy NFC West (next year its the NFC East !) with both of that divisions west coast teams playing here instead of us having to travel
west with the big time difference and all.
And the injury situation wasn't that bad really. OK we lost our guards and OD,
but Schaub and AJ have both been healthy all year as has the defense for the
most part.
Your assessment is generally fine, but those injuries ARE awful. Owen Daniels is Schaub's big-time security blanket. We had no idea what to do on third-and-manageable decisions. OL injury is killer too because it destroyed whatever run game we "had'.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
..... But if Kubiak stays does anyone really believe we are contenders next year for a superbowl? The best we can hope for with him is enough talent that we go 11-5 even after giving away 3-4 games next year.

I loved what you said, but I think the chances of going to those levels under any conditions are very remote. First and foremost, we don't have a "We are going to win this game" quarterback. Mr Schaub gives good stats but we do need a QB that refuses to lose! I don't know if a coach can fix that, I think you are just born with it.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRocket View Post
I loved what you said, but I think the chances of going to those levels under any conditions are very remote. First and foremost, we don't have a "We are going to win this game" quarterback. Mr Schaub gives good stats but we do need a QB that refuses to lose! I don't know if a coach can fix that, I think you are just born with it.
Here are Schaub's situational stats for this year -

http://www.nfl.com/players/mattschau...86&season=2009

While his overall numbers have been good, his numbers in crunchtime are somewhat worrisome. For instance, while his overall rating is a very respectable 97.7, check out this breakdown -

First half - 102.1
Second half - 93.3
Last 2 minutes of half - 78.9

With regard to point situations, his two worst ratings are when the Texans are either tied or leading by 1-8 points.

Finally, his worst quarter is the 4th quarter (83.1) and this drops even further in the 4th quarter of close games (within 7 points) to 76.7.

In short, these numbers seem to support my growing opinion that he plays his worst when the game is on the line (while it's pure speculation, his body language also suggests to me that he doesn't terribly enjoy playing in close, physical football games). I honestly don't know if rising to the occasion and getting better at crunch time is something one can learn or whether it is something that's just in you.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
.......In short, these numbers seem to support my growing opinion that he plays his worst when the game is on the line (while it's pure speculation, his body language also suggests to me that he doesn't terribly enjoy playing in close, physical football games). I honestly don't know if rising to the occasion and getting better at crunch time is something one can learn or whether it is something that's just in you.
Props for providing stats to backup to what was just my observation. Others on this board point to his QB rating and say what a good boy he is and a top 5 quarterback. I don't think so and IMO he never will be.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

I think there are a precious few QBs who really raise there team and are most responsible for their winning (Brady, Brees, Manning). Outside of those 3, I think you have a dozen or so guys who are situationally good (meaning they are good in the right spot), and a bunch of guys who are just not very good. You can win on any level with those situationally good guys if everything else is in line. Schaub is clearly one of those guys. We can win with him.

But it is a clear problem that not one key guy on our team (including Schaub) has won in this league. That is the biggest reason why I think we need a new coach. If your team is full of guys who have never been there, then you better have a coach who has not only been there, but who can make these guys believe in it.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post

In short, these numbers seem to support my growing opinion that he plays his worst when the game is on the line (while it's pure speculation, his body language also suggests to me that he doesn't terribly enjoy playing in close, physical football games). I honestly don't know if rising to the occasion and getting better at crunch time is something one can learn or whether it is something that's just in you.
Ive seen only one game where the team didnt fold on a close game.... That was the road win against the Tennesse Titans. I thought that was a different Texans team. I saw intensity that i hadnt seen from this team before.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think there are a precious few QBs who really raise there team and are most responsible for their winning (Brady, Brees, Manning). Outside of those 3, I think you have a dozen or so guys who are situationally good (meaning they are good in the right spot), and a bunch of guys who are just not very good. You can win on any level with those situationally good guys if everything else is in line. Schaub is clearly one of those guys. We can win with him.

But it is a clear problem that not one key guy on our team (including Schaub) has won in this league. That is the biggest reason why I think we need a new coach. If your team is full of guys who have never been there, then you better have a coach who has not only been there, but who can make these guys believe in it.
Was E.Wilson on any of those Superbowl teams for the Pats? As a matter of fact he was on two of them 04'-05'. Not to mention AVERAGE JOE "Antoine Smith". If Cato June would've stuck around (who incidentally is with the Bears.) there would be another. I agree, definitely not enough.

I would even venture to ask how many draft picks come from winning programs? Maybe I should check that out. I wonder if that has anything to do with Andre Johnson and Brian Cushing's never quit mentalities. Was Alabama good when Demeco was there? I watch, but I am not a die hard college guy.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM
All-Pro

Bill Parcells was fond of saying "you are what your record says you are".
With that in mind, Kubiak/Texans are currently in the AFC South celler (tied with the Titans) with a record of 5-6 and they have a 1-4 record
within the South, worst in the division.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:24 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post
Was Alabama good when Demeco was there? I watch, but I am not a die hard college guy.
No. He was gone before Saban was hired. He was coached by Franchione and David Shula.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:18 AM
All-Pro

DeMeco went on to become the SEC's Defensive Player of the Year for his performance in 2005. Later on, Ryans attributed much of his college success to his defensive coordinator at Alabama, Joe Kines. He was named the 2006 Cotton Bowl defensive MVP in their 13-10 win over Texas Tech.
http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/DeMeco_Ryans
Looks like Ryans and his team were good enough for him to be named the defensive player of the year in the countrys best football conference and the MVP in his teams victory in the Cotton Bowl when he was playing in college.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Pro Bowler

It just seemed to me like Cushing immediately came in with a winner's mentality. If he could throw the ball he would be out there. Of course he made a few rookie mistakes (not many) but he drive and desire has been unparalleled. The only two people that I have seen with that consistent drive have been Andre and Demeco. I was just curious as to whether that could be attributed to their college programs success and prestige.

We need some players to come in here and rub off a winning mentality, instead of us rubbing off a losing mentality on everyone we get.

I wanna see a fire in Barwin's eyes. I want Quin to accept nothing less than a big hit or an interception; no arm tackle drag downs. I think Okam could be the future of this team if he had a drive; an intensity.

All of that boils down to coaching and motivation, of which we have neither.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
DeMeco went on to become the SEC's Defensive Player of the Year for his performance in 2005. Later on, Ryans attributed much of his college success to his defensive coordinator at Alabama, Joe Kines. He was named the 2006 Cotton Bowl defensive MVP in their 13-10 win over Texas Tech.
http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/DeMeco_Ryans
Looks like Ryans and his team were good enough for him to be named the defensive player of the year in the countrys best football conference and the MVP in his teams victory in the Cotton Bowl when he was playing in college.
I did not say he wasn't great, I said his teams where considered average.

Demeco broke a dry spell at Bama when he became Bama's only All American in 6 years.

Shula went 10-2 in 2005, but his other years he was 4-9, 6-6, and 6-7.

Saban was brought in to change the atmosphere, and he has.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I did not say he wasn't great, I said his teams where considered average.

Demeco broke a dry spell at Bama when he became Bama's only All American in 6 years.

Shula went 10-2 in 2005, but his other years he was 4-9, 6-6, and 6-7.

Saban was brought in to change the atmosphere, and he has.
Saban going to Bama and the change that followed could be something like the Texans might get with the right coach and change of culture. Shula was a very good recruiter (almost got Tebow, many of these current Bama players are his) and had a good offensive mind. But he was not a good game manager and adjustment maker. He took over an organization in shambles after Franchione left for A&M and mired in NCAA penalties. He took a bad team and made them competitive and respectable. Saban took them to the next level. Saban brought a sense of discipline and was a true head coach, not to mention even better recruiter. Cowher might be analogous to Saban going to Bama- a tough defensive minded coach who's reputation precedes him. Whatever the Texans (McNair) do it must be the right move.